First PC build for my son

done12many2

So I'm about to order the parts for my son's first PC.  I'm not sure who's more excited about this, but either way we're going to have some fun.  At this point in time, he plays mostly browser based online games, Minecraft and some WoT.

I believe I've put together a fairly decent system for a 7 year old, but wanted to sanity check this before ordering the parts tomorrow.

He probably won't need a Z170 board, but I was able to find an ASRock Z170M Pro4S for $94.99 along with a $25.00 rebate.  Additionally, if you purchase the motherboard with a qualifying CPU, you get an additional $30 off bringing the total for the board to $39.99 before taxes.  The CPU is probably a bit more than he needs, but it is the lowest CPU that qualifies for Micro Center's $30 MB/CPU combo discount and it has a decent iGPU to get him started.

The EVGA 850w PSU is also overkill, but after all rebates it's only $64.99 and it's semi modular and should work out much better for cable management.  I figure between the Z170 motherboard and PSU, should we choose to toss in a faster CPU and add a GPU later, he should be set.

The memory was cheap and I figured that it could only help the iGPU in certain situations.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i3-6100 SkyLake     $99.99 + Tax = $105.99

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454898/Core_i3-6100_SkyLake_37GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

ASRock Z170M Pro4S     $94.99 (-$30.00 with CPU purchase/-$25.00 rebate) $39.99 + Tax = $43.89

http://www.microcenter.com/product/452121/Z170M_Pro4S_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

Micronet M600 128GB SATA III M.2 SSD     $28.99 + Tax = $30.73

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467510/M600_128GB_SATA_III_M2_SSD

GeIL EVO FORZA DC 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)     $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820158069

DIYPC Cuboid-R Black / Blue Gaming Micro-ATX Case     $54.89 (-$5.00 for promo/-$15.00 rebate card) $34.89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353073

EVGA 850 GQ 80+ Gold PSU   210-GQ-0850-V1     $99.99 (-$5.00 for promo/-$30.00 rebate card) = $64.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438061  

Rosewill RNX-AC1300PCE WiFi Adapter     $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166124&ignorebbr=1               

Total w/ taxes before rebate = $482.27

Total w/ taxes after rebates = $370.47

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

So I'm about to order the parts for my son's first PC.  I'm not sure who's more excited about this, but either way we're going to have some fun.  At this point in time, he plays mostly browser based online games, Minecraft and some WoT.

I believe I've put together a fairly decent system for a 9 year old, but wanted to sanity check this before ordering the parts tomorrow.

He probably won't need a Z170 board, but I was able to find an ASRock Z170M Pro4S for $94.99 along with a $25.00 rebate.  Additionally, if you purchase the motherboard with a qualifying CPU, you get an additional $30 off bringing the total for the board to $39.99 before taxes.  The CPU is probably a bit more than he needs, but it is the lowest CPU that qualifies for Micro Center's $30 MB/CPU combo discount and it has a decent iGPU to get him started.

The EVGA 850w PSU is also overkill, but after all rebates it's only $64.99 and it's semi modular and should work out much better for cable management.  I figure between the Z170 motherboard and PSU, should we choose to toss in a faster CPU and add a GPU later, he should be set.

The memory was cheap and I figured that it could only help the iGPU in certain situations.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Intel Core i3-6100 SkyLake     $109.99 + Tax = $116.59

http://www.microcenter.com/product/454898/Core_i3-6100_SkyLake_37GHz_LGA_1151_Boxed_Processor

ASRock Z170M Pro4S     $94.99 (-$30.00 with CPU purchase/-$25.00 rebate) $39.99 + Tax = $43.89                                                                                                                                         

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820158069

Micronet M600 128GB SATA III M.2 SSD     $28.99 + Tax = $30.73

http://www.microcenter.com/product/452121/Z170M_Pro4S_LGA_1151_mATX_Intel_Motherboard

GeIL EVO FORZA DC 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)     $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353062

DIYPC Cuboid-R Black / Red Gaming Micro-ATX Case     $54.98                                                                                                                                            

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438061

EVGA 850 GQ 80+ Gold PSU   210-GQ-0850-V1     $99.99 (-$5.00 for promo/-$30.00 rebate card) = $64.99  

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467510/M600_128GB_SATA_III_M2_SSD

Total w/ taxes before rebates = $411.17

Total w/ taxes after rebates = $356.17

only thing i would change is from 2x4gb to 1x8gb

also the m.2 brand is one i have never heard of. Get a hdd, as an ssd isnt essential for this build and budget. However, if you can, get a pny or sandisk ssd and a hdd(wd/seagate)

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

I'll check it out.  Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

also the m.2 brand is one i have never heard of. Get a hdd, as an ssd isnt essential for this build and budget. However, if you can, get a pny or sandisk ssd and a hdd(wd/seagate)

It has 4 dimm slots though so another 2x4 would not be a problem 

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

The M.2 SATA SSD is $28.99 before taxes for a 128GB.  I'll be buying that from the local Micro Center so if there's any problems, returns are easy enough.  I didn't recognize the brand either, but I figured it was worth a shot for the money and ease of return.

yep that'll get him minecrafting

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

but he would max out at 16gb. Later ( probably not, but just saying) if he needs more ram, he can add to a total of 32gb without maxing out dimms.

and the prices of ram are basicly the same(1x8gb/2x4gb) (difference of 5,6 USD, so why not,, might as well

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The M.2 SATA SSD is $28.99 before taxes for a 128GB.  I'll be buying that from the local Micro Center so if there's any problems, returns are easy enough.  I didn't recognize the brand either, but I figured it was worth a shot for the money and ease of return.

I see. Just dont put too much imortantdata on it :)

and get a hdd, that 128gb ssd wont last you long

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's what I was thinking.  I know dual channel doesn't help out much, but I figured the dual channel and DDR4 3000 might help the iGPU out for a while until we determine he needs a big boy GPU.  Not to mention that the 2 x 4 set listed was cheaper than any 1 x 8 that I could find.

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

but he would max out at 16gb. Later ( probably not, but just saying) if he needs more ram, he can add to a total of 32gb without maxing out dimms.

and the prices of ram are basicly the same(1x8gb/2x4gb) (difference of 5,6 USD, so why not,, might as well

Not sure what kind of 7 year old uses 32 gb of ram other than chrome /s

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

I see. Just dont put too much imortantdata on it :)

and get a hdd, that 128gb ssd wont last you long

Haha.  How much important data does a 7 year old have.  I just realized I typed his age wrong in the OP.  Great dad, huh?

He's going to be tied into the Synology NAS so he'll have all the Terabytes he needs.  If he needs more local storage, I have a ton of old SSDs to hook him up with.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Not sure what kind of 9 year old uses 32 gb of ram other than chrome /s

Even better, I'm an idiot and mistyped his age.  He's 7.  

After having many PSU fail on me I have to say going all out or for EVGA on the PSU is never a bad idea.

Anyways, good build for your son. It'll definitely get him playing Minecraft and WoT (iGPUs have come a long way). :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Even better, I'm an idiot and mistyped his age.  He's 7.  

Edited :)

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

I could also keep the 2 x 4 and add 2 x 8 in later for 24 GB total.  I've gone that route a few times.

I think it's cool that he'll have a z170 board.  He's always helping me out with my rigs, so maybe one day I'll get him watercooled and overclocked as well with a K series.

19 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Haha.  How much important data does a 7 year old have.  I just realized I typed his age wrong in the OP.  Great dad, huh?

He's going to be tied into the Synology NAS so he'll have all the Terabytes he needs.  If he needs more local storage, I have a ton of old SSDs to hook him up with.

lol, how many ssds do you have

14 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I think it's cool that he'll have a z170 board.  He's always helping me out with my rigs, so maybe one day I'll get him watercooled and overclocked as well with a K series.

Good idea :)

Those links are totally in the wrong order for me lol. Build looks good. I always thought you were like 18-25, well you could be, but your son is 7. Tell him Festive says hi, or dont. :(

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

16 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

lol, how many ssds do you have

I don't even know.  A lot.  There's 4 sitting on my desk.  9 in my main rig.  Two in each laptop.  One or two in every computer in the house.  We'll find one for him if he runs out of space.  :D

13 minutes ago, Festive said:

Those links are totally in the wrong order for me lol. Build looks good.

Thanks bud.

I fixed the links.

I always thought you were like 18-25, well you could be, but your son is 7. Tell him Festive says hi, or dont. :(

I feel like I am.  My kids keep me that way.  I take care of them, they take care of me.  Our system works. :D

I'll pass on the greetings.  

39 minutes ago, Festive said:

Those links are totally in the wrong order for me lol. Build looks good. I always thought you were like 18-25, well you could be, but your son is 7. Tell him Festive says hi, or dont. :(

I knew he was over 25 years old, but didn't know hee have a kid.

It's good to hear that new memebers are recruited to PC master race :P 

That build looks great! I like that headroom from PSU, so he can later upgrade to 2x Titan X Pascal or GTX 1080 Ti.

And about RAM ... 16GB should be more than enough. I'm using that, and it never gets over 10GB usage even when gaming with tons of programs runing in background.

And if he need more you can just add 2x8 to have 24GB like you said before.

If he uses more than that, you should keep an eye on what's playing in those chrome tabs lol

Dual chanel might not bring much more performance, but it looks better than just 1 RAM stick all alone with no friend to hang out ...

About future water loop: Will you build new loop for him, or you will just use one long tube to connect from your current PC, to his, and cool down his PC with your loop :P ? That would be sick!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

I knew he was over 25 years old, but didn't know hee have a kid.

It's good to hear that new memebers are recruited to PC master race :P 

Believe it or not, I actually like them better than my cars and computers.  :D

That build looks great! I like that headroom from PSU, so he can later upgrade to 2x Titan X Pascal or GTX 1080 Ti.

Thanks and holy shit!!  That kind of thinking will break the bank!

Seriously though, I could see hooking each up with a 1080 from my current build when I upgrade myself to a Titan XP SLI or 1080 Ti SLI.  xD

And about RAM ... 16GB should be more than enough. I'm using that, and it never gets over 10GB usage even when gaming with tons of programs runing in background.

And if he need more you can just add 2x8 to have 24GB like you said before.

If he uses more than that, you should keep an eye on what's playing in those chrome tabs lol

I plan to keep a real close eye on him.

About future water loop: Will you build new loop for him, or you will just use one long tube to connect from your current PC, to his, and cool down his PC with your loop :P ? That would be sick!

His build will remain in his room so that might be one awkwardly long tube.   O.o

I've got enough WC parts on hand to build him a nice small loop, but I want to get him started with the basics.  This gives us some follow on projects in the future.

What monitor are you planning on? Depending on your budget, I'd upgrade that RAM. Also, upgrade the Memory to a 256 SSD, if he will be using the PC for anything else. If you want to spoil him rotten, what peripherals will you add on? 

"I don't try to be smart, I try to observe. Millions saw the apple fall, only one asked "why?""

14 minutes ago, LukeS said:

What monitor are you planning on?

I'll by him a 1080p screen in the area of 24 to 28 inches.

Depending on your budget, I'd upgrade that RAM.

I think we're going to keep it at where it's at for now.  I still need to get him a bunch of other Christmas presents along with the other kids.  :D  I'll use the two free slots if it becomes an issue in the future.

Also, upgrade the Memory to a 256 SSD, if he will be using the PC for anything else.

He's going to be tied into the NAS.  If he needs more local storage, I have tons of SSDs.  I can easily hook him up if I find that he's actually using it that much.

If you want to spoil him rotten, what peripherals will you add on? 

I've got a Logitech G710 keyboard in a box somewhere along with some Logitech speakers.  I just need to grab him a mouse and a monitor and he should be set.

Thanks