Best ultrabook for $1000 USD?

Hi i am looking for an ultrabook with the best value for money at the price tag of at around $1000 USD. I want it to look nice, be light and thin, 13in or less size/form factor, have at least 8 hours of battery life, have a glossy display, have at least 8GB of RAM, it can be either Windows or Mac based, and have decent specs and good build quality. I'm open to all suggestions as of now since I would be needing a laptop soon for college this upcoming winter quarter. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Xps 13? Any gaming? 

14 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Xps 13? Any gaming? 

no gaming at all. i already have a gaming machine at home already. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

x260

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

I am also looking at laptops in the exact same catagory. im looking seriously at a razer blade stealth. with either a 256 or 512gb of storage and 16gb of ram. the base model is 1000USD and has 128gb however it only hs 8gb of ram so im avoiding it. a low spec dell XPS 13 or asus zenbook also fall into this price range 

3 hours ago, terbor33 said:

I am also looking at laptops in the exact same catagory. im looking seriously at a razer blade stealth. with either a 256 or 512gb of storage and 16gb of ram. the base model is 1000USD and has 128gb however it only hs 8gb of ram so im avoiding it. a low spec dell XPS 13 or asus zenbook also fall into this price range 

same here i saw that the base model blade stealth is $1000 and it has pretty good specs for the money. The only downsides are the bezel size on the screen, and I heard that the quality control on the razer laptops are junk along with poor customer support. 

• 3 weeks later...

Poor quality control and customer support will almost always be the case when it comes to a company that size. however i do think that it has far more valve for the money. The stealth also has a better web cam (and position) and mic. I think if you had a blade stealth in isolation then i dont think you would really notice the bezels. Personally i would go for the stealth but it really depends what you want from a laptop. Better specs and more sensible webcam layout or an arguably more beautiful machine with better customer support. Also, i heard that a few units of the kaby lake powered XPS 13s have bad coil whine when under load. so bare that in mind and do some research on it. 

BTW i im going to get the blade 14 now. I dont think the integrated GPU on the stealth will be enough for my needs. 

On 1/3/2017 at 4:24 AM, terbor33 said:

Poor quality control and customer support will almost always be the case when it comes to a company that size. however i do think that it has far more valve for the money. The stealth also has a better web cam (and position) and mic. I think if you had a blade stealth in isolation then i dont think you would really notice the bezels. Personally i would go for the stealth but it really depends what you want from a laptop. Better specs and more sensible webcam layout or an arguably more beautiful machine with better customer support. Also, i heard that a few units of the kaby lake powered XPS 13s have bad coil whine when under load. so bare that in mind and do some research on it. 

BTW i im going to get the blade 14 now. I dont think the integrated GPU on the stealth will be enough for my needs. 

oh as of me i decided to go for the macbook pro 2015 since that has superior build quality and i wanted to try something new and i managed to get it for $1000 on sale

2 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

oh as of me i decided to go for the macbook pro 2015 since that has superior build quality and i wanted to try something new and i managed to get it for $1000 on sale

Don't listen to that guy. If you want to push the blade stealth, then it thermal throttles and there is a huge change (compared to other laptops) of you getting a broken stealth, then there is razer support, which is useless.

A 2015 Macbook pro is a decent laptop (and better than a stealth), it has some heat problems (like all macbooks), but support is pretty good and it doesn't have the big problems that the 2016 models has and it has decent battery life (better than new gen, from what I have seen). It is a good laptop for 1k, I hope that you enjoy it :) 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 1/3/2017 at 8:24 PM, terbor33 said:

Poor quality control and customer support will almost always be the case when it comes to a company that size.

Razer isn't a big company...they just have shit customer support LOL. They may "seem" big, but they're tiny compared to the likes of Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. Enterprise makes FAAAAAAR more money than consumer. Current estimates for Razer valuations are around 1.75b with an expected increase in value to maybe 2.5b in the event of a near ipo. Dell's LBO years ago of 25b was deemed by the courts too low and almost violated antirust laws. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p