With the Help of Silicon Valley, Hillary Clinton Calls for Bipartisan Effort to Regulate Alleged Fake News

At an event celebrating retiring Sen. Harry Reid, Clinton intimated that she wants to regulate fake news.  The former U.S. Presidential candidate went on to say in a speech that there should be a bipartisan, legislative effort to tighten down on fake news, particularly on social media such as Facebook, calling it a "danger that needs to be addressed and addressed quickly."  The bill, dubbed the Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act, has already made its way through the Senate.

Screenshot (2).png

Bipartisan legislation is making its way through Congress to boost the government's response to foreign propaganda, and Silicon Valley is starting to grapple with the challenge and threat of fake news.

It's imperative that leaders in both the private sector and the public sector step up to protect our democracy and innocent lives. Harry Reid and Vice President Biden may be stepping back from the daily scrum of politics and governing, but I know I speak for them as well as tens of millions of Americans when I say that we are all counting on those of you who remain.

This scares the hell out of me.  Certainly, there is a plethora of fake news on the Internet, but a government body should not be in the business of deciding what qualifies as real or fake news.  Doing so poses a direct threat to adversarial journalism.  

The Intercept, for example, has written several articles critical of various administrations, both Republican and Democratic.  If they were to discuss leaked documents which revealed human rights violations, the government theoretically could classify such an outlet as a propaganda outfit and proceed to shut them down.

Furthermore, using social media platforms to have these serious discussions could lead to unintended legal consequences.  I don't like the way this is going.  This is not the America I want to be in, nor is it the America that I grew up in.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

No where did she say a government body would be in charge of this. She simple says that this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Please don't put spin on this.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

No where did she say a government body would be in charge of this. She simple says that this is a problem that needs to be addressed. Please don't put spin on this.

No, she didn't say government body.  That's the logical implication when calling for bipartisan legislation to regulate fake news.

The start of information control and surprise surprise, it is coming from a Democrat that lost. Next they will go after conservative new sites/channels, and then independent until only their voices can be heard.

Funnily enough though, fake news comes from Fox News and CNN the majority of the time, but oh, we can't silence DNC controlled media. That'd be wrong!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

3 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

No, she didn't say government body.  That's the logical implication when calling for bipartisan legislation to regulate fake news.

Which is also not what she called for. She called attention to a problem. The bipartisan legislation was about foreign propaganda.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

she's so wrong -_-

"fake news" is not news - social media sites should not promote "information" as news if not verified

FaceBook fired people who vetted news and replaced them by robots - if FaceBook is recognized as a news media outlet, they should pay with their heads

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

The start of information control and surprise surprise, it is coming from a Democrat that lost. Next they will go after conservative new sites/channels, and then independent until only their voices can be heard.

Funnily enough though, fake news comes from Fox News and CNN the majority of the time, but oh, we can't silence DNC controlled media. That'd be wrong!

Hell are you talking about? Fake news is a problem this is a fact. People honestly believe 3 million illegals voted. They believe Hilary runs a child sex ring underneath a pizza shop. This is a problem for both sides. Not just the DNC.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Which is also not what she called for. She called attention to a problem. The bipartisan legislation was about foreign propaganda.

She used incredibly broad language.  If a program on RT America criticizes the US government, is that suddenly foreign propaganda?  Does the context not matter?

3 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Hell are you talking about? Fake news is a problem this is a fact. People honestly believe 3 million illegals voted. They believe Hilary runs a child sex ring underneath a pizza shop. This is a problem for both sides. Not just the DNC.

Fake news is a problem, yes, but letting certain people determine what is "fake news" is just as big as a problem. They can just as easily say any source is fake and have it censored or removed. For example, a lot of people claimed the news about Hillary's secret server (and classified information sharing) was "fake news" (hell, even Hillary claimed it!) but look where that got us a few months later.

The solution is never censorship of information. If you don't get how that is a problem, not my problem.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Fake news is a problem, yes, and here it comes the well educated, self-righteous people to tell the masses what is true and what is fake. This shit is getting Orwellian and some are applauding it. Well America, welcome to the third world. 

Just now, Michael McAllister said:

She used incredibly broad language.  If a program on RT America criticizes the US government, is that suddenly foreign propaganda?  Does the context not matter?

Yet she was only saying that this is something going through congress not anything else about it.

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

If Facebook or Twitter wishes to change their algorithms to censor, that is their platform.  I wouldn't like the decision, but it's theirs to make.  When the government steps in to do so, it has a whole other level of implications, which will not end well.

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Fake news is a problem, yes, but letting certain people determine what is "fake news" is just as big as a problem. They can just as easily say any source is fake and have it censored or removed. For example, a lot of people claimed the news about Hillary's secret server (and classified information sharing) was "fake news" (hell, even Hillary claimed it!) but look where that got us a few months later.

The solution is never censorship of information. If you don't get how that is a problem, not my problem.

Just now, JoseGuya said:

Fake news is a problem, yes, and here it comes the well educated, self-righteous people to tell the masses what is true and what is fake. This shit is getting Orwellian and some are applauding it. Well America, welcome to the third world. 

Thank you both for automatically assuming my position on this. I never once said that regulation of news is a good idea. I simply said that fake news is a major problem.

Hillary Clinton? Concerned about fake news? The same Hillary Clinton that started that "Bernie Bros" nonsense? That sent fake news to outlets containing lies about her opponent during the primary?

It's interesting how she'll use it when it benefits her, but when it no longer does, she's against it.

I'm all for cracking down on spreading misinformation as real news *cough*foxnews*cough*. But the Irony here is not lost on me.

3 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

If Facebook or Twitter wishes to change their algorithms to censor, that is their platform.  I wouldn't like the decision, but it's theirs to make.  When the government steps in to do so, it has a whole other level of implications, which will not end well.

I completely agree with that. Never said I didn't.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Thank you both for automatically assuming my position on this. I never once said that regulation of news is a good idea. I simply said that fake news is a major problem.

I was talking about Hillary and her shills, sorry if I was not clear. Its late, I have an exam tomorrow and well, Im here discussing this 

3 hours ago, JoseGuya said:

No! Not my country! NOT MY COUNTRY! :(

3 hours ago, Pyrii said:

Hillary Clinton? Concerned about fake news? The same Hillary Clinton that started that "Bernie Bros" nonsense? That sent fake news to outlets containing lies about her opponent during the primary?

It's interesting how she'll use it when it benefits her, but when it no longer does, she's against it.

She even started the Birther movement (her campaign sent the info out) to ruin Obama. She's at the tip of the "fake news" iceberg.

2 minutes ago, Albatross said:

No! Not my country! NOT MY COUNTRY! :(

She even started the Birther movement (her campaign sent the info out) to ruin Obama. She's at the tip of the "fake news" iceberg.

Uh. No she didn't. I'd like you to prove that sentiment.

3 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

Uh. No she didn't. I'd like you to prove that sentiment.

Her campaign was responsible for sending out emails of Obama in a Somali garbs. If you don't mind the link, here. It's got a whole bunch of related information on it. Even from Democratic sources (CNN, MSNBC etc) blasting Hillary for it.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/7-news-stories-2008-prove-hillary-started-obama-birtherism/

Trump just ran with what she and her lackeys shat out in '08.

14 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

the US GOV should establish a new independent agency and accompanying legislation

this agency would have a council of independent accredited journalists from already established international news agencies and US mass media members

this body would vet reports of misinformation from the media and if found, they can rule (based on the law)

• that outlet to be forced to display they promoted misinformation and pay a fine; websites found in breach would be forced to display this message each time a user logs in into their site to ~30sec
  • if the media outlet does not comply, the government can size and shut them down
  • for each subsequent offence, the fine applied doubles

This sounds like a great idea!  Actually, let's have state run media!  That would solve all these problems.  Clearly you have our best interest at heart, Ms. Clinton!  It's not like you instructed and pushed for murderous, genocidal regime change for a Qatari-oil-pipeline with Barry O.!  

10 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

snip

Not just fox news, all of the major news organizations at the bare minimum were spinning the facts, if not outright lying, as my post implied this is simply a red herring to distract people from the real news issue brought on by bought and paid for news organizations and a scapegoat to the fact she was a horrid candidate who actually has done things that should be considered illegal

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful