No display after power outage

KancerousKanadian

So I was at school and my area suffered a bit of a power outage.

I kinda shrugged it off.

I got home and sat down at my desk only to realize my PC isnt posting

Now I should note I didnt have it plugged in to a surge protector as I dont have one

I dont see any popped capacitators on the motherboard

Ive tried unplugging it and holding the power button but still no luck

It looks like its running and the light on my display remains constant

Theres just nothing on the screen

Is there any idea what I can do to bring it back?

7 minutes ago, KancerousKanadian said:

So I was at school and my area suffered a bit of a power outage.

I kinda shrugged it off.

I got home and sat down at my desk only to realize my PC isnt posting

Now I should note I didnt have it plugged in to a surge protector as I dont have one

I dont see any popped capacitators on the motherboard

Ive tried unplugging it and holding the power button but still no luck

Is there any idea what I can do to bring it back?

Umm, try resetting the CMOS, because if the system is turning on, but not POSTing, this can be a major cause.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Unplug your PC for 30 seconds and hold down the power button and then remove the CMOS battery and put it back in after a minute. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, KancerousKanadian said:

@AlphaGamer46

Thats with removing the cmos battery and  a little bit before replacing right?

Yes. Remove it, boot the system, and if it POSTs, then you're good to go. Reinsert the battery.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

I have to ask, is the power supply turning on? as in can you tell it is on?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Literally anyone

Ive tried a different gpu

Ive trued a different display

Everything was working fine before I went to school

So if I read it right, your screen stays blank, but the PC is powered on, like lights and fans spinning?

If that's the case, try plugging the video cable into the on board graphics, maybe there's a problem with the graphics card, if you have on.

Also, if you have any other graphics cards laying around, try swapping one in.

On another depressing note, the one and only time I killed a CPU, this is exactly how it acted. So it could be a problem with that

Try unplugging all unnecessary hardware from the motherboard, like case fans, USB headers, expansion cards and hard drive. Maybe one of them are shorting it out.

Try using another PSU, or test yours with a multimeter.

12 hours ago, KancerousKanadian said:

I've had this happen with an old Dell Dimension 2400. The VGA port came off the motherboard and when I tried to fix it, it did this exact same thing. Sorry I can't figure out what's wrong.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, KancerousKanadian said:

@Colonal-Kohler

I did try swapping the graphics card (as the cpu doesnt have onboard graphics) and the problem persisted

@bbpb

Unfortunately I have neither of those

Do you get any audible beeps to indicate an issue with POSTing?

Is the screen actually on or is it on standby?

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

Might sound crazy but try re seating the cpu and pulling the CMOS or clearing it. Should be a jumper or bat.

Found the manual for your Motherboard on MSI's website.

For single video card configuration use PCI_E2 slot.

I attached a screen shot of where your clear CMOS jumper should be from the manual.

I recommend you view the advanced section of the Motherboards manual as it gives you the error scenarios that sound related to this particular problem.

2016-12-10 11_44_34-7693v4.1(G52-76931XH)(970 GAMING).pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

• 3 years later...

@AlphaGamer46 I know this thread is really old but I just wanted to say THANK YOU. I had the same problem and was worried my graphics card was dead. I researched hours troubleshooting it and the reset CMOS fixed it. THANK YOU!