Super Budget Build! i3 + 470 + mAtx

Hi guys! just wanted to show off my newest build. I recently started studying so i've had to cut back on luxuries. 
I sold my watercooled 4690k + r9 290x build a while ago but was getting bored of not having a computer I could play around with, so I started my search to build up a 1080p/60fps computer that'd i'd be able to overclock without living off noodles for the rest of my study life. 
I live in New Zealand where parts are quite expensive (a GTX1080 is about $200 USD more expensive here than in the US) but I knew from previous experiences I could get a lot of parts shipped over from the US for a lot cheaper than buying here. 
The amazon used marketplace became my best friend where I picked up my both my GPU and motherboard for 3 TIMES less than i'd pay in New Zealand. Both were used but condition was perfect. 

Here is a breakdown on all parts used and how much I paid. 

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 @4.2 Ghz  =  $107.00
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler = $31.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard = $59.99 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory = $35.00
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive = Free from Previous build
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive = Free from damaged external HDD
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB Gaming X Video Card @1376/1737 = $100.00
Power Supply: Raidmax 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply = Free from a friends broken PC
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R Micro ATX Windowed = $60.00
Lighting: RGB lighting from aliexpress = $4.00
Cables & Combs: Aliexpress (WinFmod) = $10.00
Total: $407.00

I decided to go with the i3 6100 as I liked how you could use the older bios to overclock the non k cpu's. I could have searched around for say an i5 4460 which i could probably get near the same price, but I wanted to make my way into the skylake/DDR4 game. I have the i3 OC'd to 4.1 Ghz, and memory at 2666mhz. I plan to go higher on the cpu once I figure out what voltages I feel comfortable with. 

I wanted to do a mAtx build as I had built both a full ATX and itx build before, which is why I picked the case. it was cheap and is quite good, however cable management is a pain, so I'm having a local sheet metal store fold me up a piece of sheet metal to make into a cable basement. I'll update the thread when I get that done.

Would love to hear any suggestions or thoughts on the build!

Excuse the terrible pictures as I only have a cheap phone to take them with.

Internals:

4tpb4zMl.jpg

Internals:

HA3CArsl.jpg

Whole Setup:

lcEYqcll.jpg

Lighting:
pxK7e1Ml.jpg

CPU: 6400 @4.6Ghz/1.35v MOBO:GA-Z170M-D3H RAM: 8GB @2720Mhz Case: Corsair 88R GPU: MSI RX470 @1350/1720

Have ordered a 6400 to replace the 6100 :)
Hoping for some good gains as the 6100 was bottlenecking the 470 quite a bit.

CPU: 6400 @4.6Ghz/1.35v MOBO:GA-Z170M-D3H RAM: 8GB @2720Mhz Case: Corsair 88R GPU: MSI RX470 @1350/1720

i5 6400 Arrived today, dropped it in asap and am running stable at 4.5Ghz with memory at 2600~Mhz. 
A huge upgrade from the i3, with showing near double framerates in some games, EG GTA 5 with Redux mod running at 90FPS on high.

I picked up the sheet metal I had bent up for the basement, on second thought 2mm was probably a bit overkill, didnt really thing thickness through, however here is some pictures:
Picked it up:
7KNfnHAl.jpg
My case has a drive bay that is secured to the case via a thumbscrew, so I marked where that hole was and tapped into that to hold the basement/shroud.

FTpetwwl.jpg

Drilled the hole, then gave it a roughen up with some sandpaper then a couple of coats with a cheap can of flat black

6gqHYdBl.jpg
Then got it all mounted in the case, sorry the pictures are quite bad quality I didnt really think these ones through:

pHcfHlyl.jpg

ebHGYgtl.jpg
Looks a lot better that it does below in my opinion!
pxK7e1Ml.jpg

I also painted my Rx470 Black, however I'm going to find some Grey plastidip and re-do the Red accents in grey.

1 hour ago, Whitemk2 said:

i5 6400 Arrived today, dropped it in asap and am running stable at 4.5Ghz with memory at 2600~Mhz. 
A huge upgrade from the i3, with showing near double framerates in some games, EG GTA 5 with Redux mod running at 90FPS on high.

I picked up the sheet metal I had bent up for the basement, on second thought 2mm was probably a bit overkill, didnt really thing thickness through, however here is some pictures:
Picked it up:
7KNfnHAl.jpg
My case has a drive bay that is secured to the case via a thumbscrew, so I marked where that hole was and tapped into that to hold the basement/shroud.

FTpetwwl.jpg

Drilled the hole, then gave it a roughen up with some sandpaper then a couple of coats with a cheap can of flat black

6gqHYdBl.jpg
Then got it all mounted in the case, sorry the pictures are quite bad quality I didnt really think these ones through:

pHcfHlyl.jpg

ebHGYgtl.jpg
Looks a lot better that it does below in my opinion!
pxK7e1Ml.jpg

I also painted my Rx470 Black, however I'm going to find some Grey plastidip and re-do the Red accents in grey.

Thinking about getting a PSU shroud set up myself. Good work!

2 minutes ago, Extwofour said:

Thinking about getting a PSU shroud set up myself. Good work!

I say go for it, probably go for a thinner metal, but its super easy and I imagine most hardware shops in the US could bend the metal on site, i had to go to a special metalwork shop however. 
Cleans up the bottom of the case a lot in my opinion while also giving more room to tuck cables, taking stress off the rear panel. I may later on try find some of those grommets that usually go on cable management holes, and make a grommet hole in my shroud for the Pcie cable, similar to some of the NZXT cases.

23 hours ago, Whitemk2 said:

I say go for it, probably go for a thinner metal, but its super easy and I imagine most hardware shops in the US could bend the metal on site, i had to go to a special metalwork shop however. 
Cleans up the bottom of the case a lot in my opinion while also giving more room to tuck cables, taking stress off the rear panel. I may later on try find some of those grommets that usually go on cable management holes, and make a grommet hole in my shroud for the Pcie cable, similar to some of the NZXT cases.

Right on. I work with my roommates in contract construction and remodeling so I'm fortunate to have a lot of tools and materials on hand. :) now I'd just have to decide on color for paint...

Thoughts my man?  (don't mean to hijack, I just like your style!) 

20161212_145438.jpg

10 hours ago, Extwofour said:

Right on. I work with my roommates in contract construction and remodeling so I'm fortunate to have a lot of tools and materials on hand. :) now I'd just have to decide on color for paint...

Thoughts my man?  (don't mean to hijack, I just like your style!) 

20161212_145438.jpg

Nice! I'm jealous of what looks to be a handful of ssd's in there haha. I'd personally go with either a white basement or say if the case has any accent colours,or match LED's on components etc. Looks good!

1 hour ago, Whitemk2 said:

Nice! I'm jealous of what looks to be a handful of ssd's in there haha. I'd personally go with either a white basement or say if the case has any accent colours,or match LED's on components etc. Looks good!

Thanks man! I'll probably start with plain white and work from there. Can always sand and repaint. :)

Haha, it's nice but they're all relatively small (250gb), just collected over time. Still, it's nice to have separate drives for each OS instead of partitioning out and dealing with confused bootloaders. 

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on delivery of a Raijintek Triton 240 Expandable AIO. Picked it up for a steal in a pre- Xmas holiday sale so its worth the gamble for me despite the reviews. also bought a cheap little res and some more tubing just to customise it a little bit. Will update thread when it arrives!

That is a nice build but if it was truly super budget it would be using a stock cooler 

$145 1080p build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/dWM8TW

6 hours ago, masterkickass7 said:

That is a nice build but if it was truly super budget it would be using a stock cooler 

$145 1080p build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/dWM8TW

I've overclocked the cpu from 2.7baseclock to 4.6Ghz, I dont think the stock cooler could quite keep up haha. 
It's budget in terms of finding most things second hand or for the best price possible new :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Expandable 240mm Aio Cooler arrived, the Raijintek Triton 240, luckily mine had no cracks or leaks, I tested it for a while and it seemed alright. 
Worth the gamble. 
ebtdU4dl.jpg
Cut down the tubes as they're very soft and kink quite easily so I had to get rid of as much excess tubing as possible. Keeps Cpu quite a bit cooler than the old tower cooler. I still need to see if I can work out if the cpu speed stepping works with the Baseclock OC'd skylake chips as My idle temps are still quite high seeing as the cpu is at 4.6Ghz with high voltage all the time. 
Also picked up some white LED sp120's for the Rad, still need to sort a Diy gpu backplate and sort the sag.
uTI9opal.jpg