GTX 1060 vs RX480

Eponymous98

In most reviews I have seen the 1060 seems to outperform the RX 480 in most titles. However, in a video I recently watched the RX 480 was better in all DX12 games that were tested.

Will Nvidia release better drivers in the future that will make the 1060 better?

Which one do you think is a better a card?

Someone recently re-tested the two of them and they were actually pretty equal in performance, with the 480 still pulling ahead in DX12.

There's also a Radeon Crimson update happening(Or it might have launched now) that'll be giving a further performance boost to the 480.

If i had to make the decision of choosing between a 480 and 1060 again, I'd still go for the 480.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

With the driver updates and the fantastic third-party cards, I'd recommend the RX 480. In most of the benchmarks that Hardware Canucks did, the custom 480 beats the 1060 in DX11 and DX12. They're really close in terms of performance, though.

I used to be quite active here.

1060 6GB or 480 8GB doesn't really matter. they're both great. hardware cannucks did a test recently that showed the 480 is slightly better (like 2% better). but they were biased and they also didn't do any overclocking. 1060's typically have a lot more headroom in that area than 480's do. I wouldn't take their review as "law", but I'm also not against the 480 either. its a good card. 1060 is still better in DX11 games, 480 still better in DX12/Vulkan games, but the 480 has probably gained a step or two on the 1060 in that comparison.

if you're an avid overclocker, I would recommend the 1060 6GB. if you're a stock settings kind of guy, then get whatever is more affordable. Its also worth noting that the 480 4GB is probably a smarter buy than the 1060 3GB though (assuming similar pricing). But that is about all it comes down to: pricing.... get whatever is more affordable imo. They're going to be close enough in performance that you will not be able to distinguish one from the other in a lot of situations.

I went with the GTX 1060 because it's significantly cheaper than the RX 480 in Canada. 

So pick whatever's cheapest. 

14 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

1060 6GB or 480 8GB doesn't really matter. they're both great. hardware cannucks did a test recently that showed the 480 is slightly better (like 2% better). but they were biased and they also didn't do any overclocking. 1060's typically have a lot more headroom in that area than 480's do. I wouldn't take their review as "law", but I'm also not against the 480 either. its a good card. 1060 is still better in DX11 games, 480 still better in DX12/Vulkan games, but the 480 has probably gained a step or two on the 1060 in that comparison.

if you're an avid overclocker, I would recommend the 1060 6GB. 

lol really? All 1060s i've sold automagically boosted to 2Ghz and will go around 2.1Ghz once you increase the sliders. Doesn't matter how much voltage/power increase you give, that is Pascal limitation.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

25 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

lol really?

Yes really. 480's, at least all of the reviews I've seen for them, go almost nowhere almost always.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

if you're an avid overclocker, I would recommend the 1060 6GB. if you're a stock settings kind of guy, then get whatever is more affordable. Its also worth noting that the 480 4GB is probably a smarter buy than the 1060 3GB though (assuming similar pricing). But that is about all it comes down to: pricing.... get whatever is more affordable imo. They're going to be close enough in performance that you will not be able to distinguish one from the other in a lot of situations.

"They were biased" LOL

7 minutes ago, TechGod said:

"They were biased" LOL

they were. You could argue I am too (which sounds like what you're doing), but I'm not the one throwing out test results on a hugely famous youtube channel to get more people on the AMD bandwagon (which I'm not against btw. I really want AMD to stick it to Nvidia as much as the next guy) but they didn't really provide us with concrete information with which to determine if their results were reasonable.

For example: they didn't give us comparative frequencies. You can just compare two cards at stock settings and then determine that one is better. pick up any two GPU's of any kind. Lets us GTX 1070s just for argument. Pick them up from any aftermarket brand. lets say they're Asus GTX 1070 Strix cards. Drop them in a system individually, and just run some benchmarks. One of them is going to be better than the other. they are essentially as exactly as even a comparison as you can get, and one is still going to be better than the other (by as much as even a few %). One of the cards GPU's will have been better in the silicon lottery, and will have better stock operational perimeters than the other because of how GPU boost works.

Now consider that you're not talking about the same 2 identical cards. consider they are not the same model, consider they are not from the same aftermarket company, and consider that they're from two totally different designers. when you have COMPLTELY identical cards, one can easily be a few % better than the next one due to luck of the draw. when you have two COMPLETELY different cards with different coolers, different power delivery, different costs, different everything!... you can't really drop them into a system, compare their "stock" settings, and then say that one is better than the other. especially not with how GPU boost works. You gotta give us those operational frequencies. They also mentioned the fan boost mode/BIOS on the 480 nitro, so for all we know that is the mode they used for their "stock" testing (which isn't really stock and isn't exactly a fair fight).

Most reviewers understand this. I don't watch a ton of HWC because of reasons, but I'm sure in the past they have given comparative reviews with full information, so why not now? I saw their results, but I didn't see the information which gave them those results, information which is usually freely offered in the past. Combine that with their over the top praise of the 480 mere seconds into the video.... Just seems shady. Seems like they're trying to sell the idea of the 480 to people, rather than giving everyone the full story and letting them make up their own minds on the matter. and not allowing overclocking into the comparison is equally shady. for all we know their 1060 SC was running at ~1900MHZ (which would be within spec) and the 480 is in fan boost mode and is going about as far as it can go yet the 1060 is leaving 100-200MHz on the table.

All I'm saying is that there isn't enough information in this video to tell me that the 480 8GB is better than the 1060 6GB, yet they would have definitely gathered that information during testing. They could very easily have relayed that information to us if it were going to help their case, since they were trying hard enough to convince us it were true in the first place, but they simply chose not to. seems fishy imo. I'm all for AMD beating out Nvidia, market competition is healthy, but I gotta see concrete evidence of it before I refute the overwhelming evidence supporting the 1060 6GB until now.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Yes really. 480's, at least all of the reviews I've seen for them, go almost nowhere almost always.

Almost if not all of them use Wattman and all of them overclock conservatively, now we have MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TriXX to overvolt the card which scale pretty well with voltage unlike Pascal. Not to mention you can tighten or loosen the memory timing with BIOS mod for extra performance/speed. Of course silicon lottery play role as well but i've seen trend nowadays where 480/470 could easily get 1400mhz+, maybe manufacturing process improved since release.

With 1060, just max the power and voltage slider and then pray your card can maintain 2100mhz+ on long high load. Avid overclocker.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

The RX 480 has actually come some way with driver updates. The two cards are now practically even with the 480 coming slightly ahead in DX12. So.. Both cards are great buys at this point. Competition is a beautiful thing, now if AMD could just compete on the higher end..

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

RX 480 clear winner.

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

RX 480 just seems like a better option for the future since better DX12 performance

53 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

One of the cards GPU's will have been better in the silicon lottery, and will have better stock operational perimeters than the other because of how GPU boost works.

You gotta give us those operational frequencies. They also mentioned the fan boost mode/BIOS on the 480 nitro, so for all we know that is the mode they used for their "stock" testing (which isn't really stock and isn't exactly a fair fight).

the 480 is in fan boost mode and is going about as far as it can go yet the 1060 is leaving 100-200MHz on the table.

480 Nitro+ clock speed is 1342mhz, it won't go over that no matter how fast the fan speed or how low the temp is. It could go lower though.

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

480 Nitro+ clock speed is 1342mhz, it won't go over that no matter how fast the fan speed or how low the temp is. It could go lower though.

and the 1060 sc?

17 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

and the 1060 sc?

standard boost speed of 1.9ghz-2ghz?

5 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

standard boost speed of 1.9ghz-2ghz?

you're missing the point lol. when the results are as close as they are, you cant start making guesses and generalizations. if its running at 1900, and is capable of getting to near 2100... that is a pretty large OC performance boost that you can get on a 1060 which tip the scales back well in its favor again. if its running a bit over 2000 and can only get to 2050, then there is almost no headroom and then you can see the 480 being better....

but you can't make that determination on guesswork.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

you're missing the point lol. when the results are as close as they are, you cant start making guesses and generalizations. if its running at 1900, and is capable of getting to near 2100... that is a pretty large OC performance boost that you can get on a 1060 which tip the scales back well in its favor again. if its running a bit over 2000 and can only get to 2050, then there is almost no headroom and then you can see the 480 being better....

Pascal scales like garbage on the core. 1060 gains more from overclocking the VRAM. I also don't know where you heard the 480 had no OC headroom, but that is false.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Mine are stock, let's see you beat RX 480 crossfire with 1060 6GB SLi?

Waiting for it...

i7 5930k - 32GB Gskill Trident 3200 - EVGA x99 FTW-K - RX 480 8GB Nitro Crossfire

Just now, A Damn Crab! said:

Waiting for it...

this isn't a multi GPU comparison, and obviously the 1060 can't SLI, but you shouldn't really be SLI/CFing low cards like that anyway, just get a single better card.

But i'm going to step out of this thread. too much fanboying going on to have a sane, objective analysis of the benchmarks recently provided by HWC which spawned this thread.

3 minutes ago, A Damn Crab! said:

You cant SLI 1060s.
SLI is only available on 1070/1080

10 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

So you expect tech journalist to push the card to it's limit then? Lel. No they won't do that and not HWC, they will always(mostly) give result of the box experience for consumers.

Also 2100mhz vs 2050mhz on 1060 is negligible performance increase.. totally within margin of error.

5 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

this isn't a multi GPU comparison, and obviously the 1060 can't SLI, but you shouldn't really be SLI/CFing low cards like that anyway, just get a single better card.

But i'm going to step out of this thread. too much fanboying going on to have a sane, objective analysis of the benchmarks recently provided by HWC which spawned this thread.

Low cards? so RX 480's are comparable to a GT 710?

Then you call other fanboys?

K m8