guess this is what I get for cheaping out on my case...

Quote16

so if you saw my previous post you'd know I was looking for a case a while ago. I decided on some case on newegg from DIYPC (someone in that thread recommended it to me) that looked really nice and was only $40 and I got it yesterday but it turns out that not a single standoff hole in the case actually lines up right with atx motherboards (guess this is also what I get for not reading reviews on products from companies that aren't well acclaimed). currently in the process of returning that and getting a refund.

my problem is that I must've done something wrong while either moving the board or reassembling the thing cus now it won't start at all. the fans spin up, the hard drives spin up, but there's no image in my monitor or post (as far as I know) can anyone help?

specs: Asus p5ql pro motherboard, core 2 quad q6600 cpu, 7gb ram (mixed sticks, I know some of you are gonna say "that's so unstable and terrible" but just see "what I've tried"), some random 530w PSU from a company called sigma (I didn't build this myself I got it second hand) and an MSI gtx 750ti 2gb. primary drive is a 250gb WD caviar.

what I've tried: clearing CMOS (duh), booting with 1 stick of ram (gskill ddr2 2gb), reseating ram (I didn't mess with my CPU so reseating that shouldn't be a problem), reseating GPU, booting with no HDDs plugged in, using VGA output on the GPU to see if I can get an image at all, switching 4pin CPU cables (idk why there's 2 but neither of them are labeled) (this seemed to fix an issue where it would start for a few seconds and then abruptly shut off though), reseating 24pin power.

is my old motherboard just finally dead? it was working just before I took it out to try and move it to the other case.

Did you ever power up the motherboard while it was sitting inside that case you tried out?

I think your onto something with that 4 pin cpu power connector. There are two because some motherboards require two 4pin plugged in together for an 8pin cpu power connextion. Do you have access to another power supply to make sure your power supply is OK. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

On 12/8/2016 at 11:17 PM, Spudbilly said:

Did you ever power up the motherboard while it was sitting inside that case you tried out?

I think your onto something with that 4 pin cpu power connector. There are two because some motherboards require two 4pin plugged in together for an 8pin cpu power connextion. Do you have access to another power supply to make sure your power supply is OK. 

sorry for the late reply. I took a 400w PSU from another computer in the house but still got the same results when I tried to power on the computer 

I think 2 of my RAM slots are just dead. I put 2 sticks of gskill ddr2 into the rightmost dual channel slots on the board and now its posting. great now I'll have to operate on 4gb of RAM for a while

50 minutes ago, Quote16 said:

I think 2 of my RAM slots are just dead. I put 2 sticks of gskill ddr2 into the rightmost dual channel slots on the board and now its posting. great now I'll have to operate on 4gb of RAM for a while

Good. That is another thing I was going to suggest. Glad it works. Even if just minimally. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

41 minutes ago, Spudbilly said:

Good. That is another thing I was going to suggest. Glad it works. Even if just minimally. 

its a real shame but I read somewhere that 2 RAM slots going out could be caused by the memory controller on the CPU not making sufficient contact so I'm reseating my CPU now, I can tell if the bit of dust was on there before or after I removed the CPU but it's gone now. I can barely mount this cooler though lol

1 hour ago, Spudbilly said:

I finally finished mounting that cooler and the ram slots are still dead. guess I'll have to buy 8 more gigs of ram but split b/w 2 sticks.