New PC build

huehue

I am looking to build a budget pc. I have the RX 480 in the build, msi 110h MITX board, furyx 2133 ram 8gb, and 2 120 SSD, and a 1tb hard drive, 450 w psu and a pentium g4400. Will the pentium be a huge choke on my system? Thanks. 

How small is your budget?

Just now, huehue said:

Very small, 600-

and what currency?

11 minutes ago, huehue said:

US Dollhairs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($44.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($42.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($191.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $592.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-08 18:16 EST-0500

Well, the question is will the pentium be a problem? I can overclock it. I see the build you have there, I can do without the ssd's I should have said I already have 2 ssds, and I have hard drives, SO I guess I should have said I am sticking to an Mitx build. I'm sorry, I also have a PSU. I would need the other components though. 

Just now, huehue said:

Well, the question is will the pentium be a problem? I can overclock it. 

I would get i3 for hyperthreading. Quote people so they know

12 minutes ago, huehue said:

I am looking to build a budget pc. I have the RX 480 in the build, msi 110h MITX board, furyx 2133 ram 8gb, and 2 120 SSD, and a 1tb hard drive, 450 w psu and a pentium g4400. Will the pentium be a huge choke on my system? Thanks. 

It will depend on the games you intend to play. some games are not very CPU intensive at all and will run unhindered with a G4400. Other games will be virtually unplayable.

My recommendation would be a better CPU with a weaker GPU so you will have a wider range of games available to you. Consider a build more along these lines: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqYM4C

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

It will depend on the games you intend to play. some games are not very CPU intensive at all and will run just fine with a G4400. Other games will be virtually unplayable.

My recommendation would be a better CPU with a weaker GPU. Consider a build more along these lines: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MqYM4C

for 600 you can still try and fit a 480

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

for 600 you can still try and fit a 480

the 480 you used is out of stock. the next cheapest one brings it very close to 600 (or in your case, over 600). he can decide whether or not he wants to invest that way, but considering he wants to keep it under 600 and we haven't spent anything on an OS yet, i chose a cheaper 470 which is still plenty for 1080p gaming in a budget system. not going to max out every game with every setting... but it'll get you very decent framerates on reasonably high settings.

Last build included an EVGA z170 MITX build and 4 ssds, raid 0, 450w psu, cougar qbx case, and the i3, 6320, and an h60, and tridentz 3200mhz ram, gtx 950 amp!. That worked well, but the 950 choked with the 2gb it had. i3-6320 I got to 4.7, worked very well. OS I got lucky with windows 10 trial and found an unused key online. 

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

the 480 you used is out of stock. the next cheapest one brings it very close to 600 (or in your case, over 600). he can decide whether or not he wants to invest that way, but considering he wants to keep it under 600 and we haven't spent anything on an OS yet, i chose a cheaper 470 which is still plenty for 1080p gaming in a budget system. not going to max out every game with every setting... but it'll get you very decent framerates on reasonably high settings.

fixed, thanks for your input

1 minute ago, huehue said:

Last build included an EVGA z170 MITX build and 4 ssds, raid 0, 450w psu, cougar qbx case, and the i3, 6320, and an h60, and tridentz 3200mhz ram, gtx 950 amp!. That worked well, but the 950 choked with the 2gb it had. i3-6320 I got to 4.7, worked very well.

sounds like, if your intent is gaming, you don't know where to be spending your money. with a budget like that you could have gotten at least an i5 and a gtx 970, resulting in a system easily twice as good, and probably cheaper overall.

ALSO, I forgot, I would need a blower style because of the case I am set on (Fractul design nano s) I also am looking for a card with a backplate, shorted too many cards over the years.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

fixed, thanks for your input

oooh i didn't see that other cheap one there haha. those other 480's are starting well over 200 dollars. well for under 200 bucks a 480 is a steal. definitely a good investment with an i3 if he can afford it.

sounds like, if your intent is gaming, you don't know where to be spending your money. with a budget like that you could have gotten at least an i5 and a gtx 970, resulting in a system easily twice as good, and probably cheaper overall.

Yes, the graphics was a mistake at the time, I knew the quad core would work much better, but I was just intrigued by the i3-6320 and I chose that because of the curiosity and price difference between that and the i5.

ALSO, I should add, this system will be 1080p only.

Yes, the graphics was a mistake at the time, I knew the quad core would work much better, but I was just intrigued by the i3-6320 and I chose that because of the curiosity and price difference between that and the i5.

That is all well and good, but your "price difference" was lost when you invested in an expensive Z170 board, and a liquid cooler in order to OC a locked chip. Now if the point of the system was to experiment with that sort of thing, that is totally fine and I understand that. but spending all that money to test overclocks, instead of just buying an outright better component, is silly if your intent is bang-for-the-buck gaming. Same with multiple SSD's (assuming RAID 0) and 3200MHz RAM. lots of wasteful things in there that your computer wouldn't be able to take much advantage of in a gaming scenario.

6 minutes ago, huehue said:

ALSO, I forgot, I would need a blower style because of the case I am set on (Fractul design nano s) I also am looking for a card with a backplate, shorted too many cards over the years.

You don't need a blower style fan in a case like that. I mean if you want one, you can certainly have one. but if you're worried about cooling, the Define S nano is plenty big and has many fan slots available for it. whilst it IS an itx build, its airflow characteristics are more similar to a mid tower/full tower than an ITX case.... and i'm not sure how you're going about shorting cards, but that really shouldn't be happening. and a backplate isn't going to save you from certain kinds of carelessness.

That is all well and good, but your "price difference" was lost when you invested in an expensive Z170 board, and a liquid cooler in order to OC a locked chip. Now if the point of the system was to experiment with that sort of thing, that is totally fine and I understand that. but spending all that money to test overclocks, instead of just buying an outright better component, is silly if your intent is bang-for-the-buck gaming. Same with multiple SSD's (assuming RAID 0) and 3200MHz RAM. lots of wasteful things in there that your computer wouldn't be able to take much advantage of in a gaming scenario.

I got a great deal on the ram, 60$ from a friend for 16gb. The z170 was 180$ which I agree was a stretch, I liked the aesthetics of the board, but it did lack m.2, and built in wifi. I am an overclocking junky. My 3930k is a great chip, overclocked the crap out of that, and thats what started this creamy feelings inside, pun intended.

You don't need a blower style fan in a case like that. I mean if you want one, you can certainly have one. but if you're worried about cooling, the Define S nano is plenty big and has many fan slots available for it. whilst it IS an itx build, its airflow characteristics are more similar to a mid tower/full tower than an ITX case.... and i'm not sure how you're going about shorting cards, but that really shouldn't be happening. and a backplate isn't going to save you from certain kinds of carelessness.

I dont, but I would prefer it, clearance between the psu and gpu is minimal from what I understand. Backplate is for aesthetics as well, plus I don't like a layer of dust on the back of my card.

I got a great deal on the ram, 60$ from a friend for 16gb. The z170 was 180$ which I agree was a stretch, I liked the aesthetics of the board, but it did lack m.2, and built in wifi. I am an overclocking junky. My 3930k is a great chip, overclocked the crap out of that, and thats what started this creamy feelings inside, pun intended.

You may wish to consider waiting for Kaby Lake then. Kaby lake is going to have an i3 7350k which will be overclockable on the Z270 chipset, rather than having to use outdated BIOS's which mess up other features on your system just to use BCLK overclocking (which is much more difficult than multiplier overclocking)....

but its your money and your system... if playing around with OC's is more important to you than actual performance (which is completely fine), feel free to get whatever you want.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You may wish to consider waiting for Kaby Lake then. Kaby lake is going to have an i3 7350k which will be overclockable on the Z270 chipset, rather than having to use outdated BIOS's which mess up other features on your system just to use BCLK overclocking (which is much more difficult than multiplier overclocking)....

but its your money and your system... if playing around with OC's is more important to you than actual performance (which is completely fine), feel free to get whatever you want.

When are those being released? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150770&cm_re=rx_480_xfx-_-14-150-770-_-Product  This is the card I was thinking of.

11 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

My current pc is the  ASUS ROG Rampage V extreme, gtx 680, 64gb Adata 2400mhz ram, 7 120gb ssd raid 0, blackhawk ATX rosewell case and a 3930k with an h100i. That wrecked. Still works well, buts its outdated now.  Anyways though, I already has the SSDs, so no money spent their, and ram I don't care for frequency really. This I want to be a budget beast gaming build. How about this lets cap it at 500, and exclude the PSU, and hard drives. Whats your best build, Mitx or atx doesnt matter, just want the best bang.