Why does the left earbud always die?

I've had this happen so many times with lower end earbuds. Why is it that the left one always dies first, seemingly for no reason? Furthermore, is it something I can fix?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Put the left in your right ear.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Depends on how it breaks

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Because they can never seem to get it right.

/s

It's probably because of pure chance. Or they put some more technology in one compared to the other.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Because they can never seem to get it right.

/s

It's probably because of pure chance. Or they put some more technology in one compared to the other.

Oh it's not pure chance, this pair is the 11th in a row for me. And almost all 11 have been from different brands.

That has electrical reasons. Because of the way the drivers are designed, the electrons run through the right ear first.

When the electrons come into the left earcup, they are already used and kinda dirty so to speak.

That makes the left ear "clog up" and then die earlier.

This was all complete Bullshit and makes no sense

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

When you take off one earbud to listen to someone talk or something like that, which one do you always take out and leave dangling?

Fixing cheap earbuds like that is more hassle than it's worth, that is why it is highly recommended to buy IEMs/earbuds these days that have a removeable cable. 

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

28 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

When you take off one earbud to listen to someone talk or something like that, which one do you always take out and leave dangling?

Fixing cheap earbuds like that is more hassle than it's worth, that is why it is highly recommended to buy IEMs/earbuds these days that have a removeable cable. 

It depends on where the person is, i.e. I'll take out the left if they're on my left. And yeah once these current ones completely die I'll probably invest in some nicer IEMs. 

I would have to assume its due to wearing habits or the wire closest to the surface of the plug snapping internally due to excessive strain.

I would suggest looking into modding on some strain relief next time you buy a pair of earbuds.

Or modify some headphones with a new cable if you have skill with a soldering iron. you can even braid the wire if you don't want to sleeve it. The reason I say to make your own is because often companies will use cheap thin wire that is prone to breakage as a means of inducing planned obsolescence, if you use thicker wire you end up with a much more durable cable on your headphones, thus making your headphones capable of lasting a very long time if you take care of them and don't throw them around like some people do.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Left side is typically where the inline mic or playback controls are, and they are always a massive weak-spot. I go out of my way to purposely buy IEMs that don't have controls or microphone purely because of that.

You can repair them easily with a soldering iron though. Last time I repaired one I bought some cheap IEM that had good braided cables. Worked really well and they lasted for a fair while.

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.

I snapped the end off my left Shure SE425s. But that just happened because i smeshed into something while they were in my pocket