Diagnosing My Issue

So for the last month or so, when I try to play some games, without warning and in the middle, my PC will blackscreen, audio will hang and the PC will freeze, only to be fixed by turning off the power at the power supply manually and turning it back on.

I've tried running benchmarks/stress tests and haven't been able to point out the error, but I think it could be the PSU since it's a 3 year old Antec 620 ECO. Does anyone know if this sounds like it could be the issue?

Cheers in advance.

Do you monitors cpu/gpu temps when you're gaming?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

what he means , are temperatures getting high before crash?

if you've got a spare psu , use it?

Sounds to me like cpu overheating. clean and reaply thermal paste and double check that all your fans are still plunged in.

6 minutes ago, skitz1995 said:

I think it could be the PSU since it's a 3 year old Antec 620 ECO.

I doubt it. I have old psus from Pentium 4 machines that still run fine. 

I do monitor the temps, 6700k getting to about 60-70 degrees and gpu R9390 getting to about 75 degrees C. so I'm fairly sure it's not overheating

multiple sound drivers installed. discover what one you are using and disable/uninstall the others.

3 minutes ago, jools said:

what he means , are temperatures getting high before crash?

if you've got a spare psu , use it?

got no spare ones that can power the machine to test

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

I doubt it. I have old psus from Pentium 4 machines that still run fine. 

I thought that too but I've just noticed that I haven't had my pc on a surge protected board for a few months and we've had a lot of storms, brown outs and a couple black outs

ask a friend or buy exact model psu from local pc store and return your one

Just now, jools said:

I'm a gamer. I have no friends irl. well none that have decent pcs.

also I'm not that kind of person.

2 minutes ago, skitz1995 said:

I thought that too but I've just noticed that I haven't had my pc on a surge protected board for a few months and we've had a lot of storms, brown outs and a couple black outs

hmmm. well I guess its possible. still, I would check the thermal paste and fans and maybe clear out dust. 

hmmm. well I guess its possible. still, I would check the thermal paste and fans and maybe clear out dust. 

already replaced compound, cleaned case, as I said my 6700k sits at about 60-70 degrees C in game, about 30 degrees under its max before a shutdown

3 minutes ago, skitz1995 said:

already replaced compound, cleaned case, as I said my 6700k sits at about 60-70 degrees C in game, about 30 degrees under its max before a shutdown

Maybe your motherboard is having a problem, or maybe a loose screw is bridging some connection. 

Just now, doomsriker said:

Maybe your motherboard is having a problem, or maybe a loose screw is bridging some connection. 

would it be possible for the power supply to be causing that since the power cables are behind the mobo since it's non modular?

also it seems to crash once randomly then if I immediately restart it and start the game it will crash again within probably 10-15mins

the psu cables are shielded, and thus non conductive, so no. It couldn't hurt to try anther power supply if you really think it might be dyeing. 

check all power connection from psu, reseat them. blow any dust from motherboard....

high probability psu giving uneven supply

the psu cables are shielded, and thus non conductive, so no. It couldn't hurt to try anther power supply if you really think it might be dyeing. 

well I want to replace it either way since it's 3 years old and a 80+ bronze, not to mention my system uses almost all of its potential output. so yeah... R9390s are fucking hungry xD

@doomsriker @RKRiley @jools I've got it worked out to either being the gpu is damaged but only in certain areas, or the psu isn't capable of running the R9390 suddenly. because of it being one or the other and not being able to test it, I'm just going to go out and buy a GTX 1060 which will allow me to have a lower required power draw and a new gpu at once.

P.S. I tried a GTX 660 in it, works perfectly fine.

Thanks to all of you for your input, and I'll be testing the 390 with a more powerful psu either when I buy one or when I find someone to let me use theirs.

2 hours ago, jools said:

Pretty sure that would be classed as fraud. So no, don't do that.

If a 660 works in there alright, it sounds like the PSU just isn't able to give the card enough power, causing it to crash. The r9 390 can use up to 300 watts where as the 660 only uses a max 140, assuming its on stock clocks.

3 minutes ago, skitz1995 said:

@doomsriker @RKRiley @jools I've got it worked out to either being the gpu is damaged but only in certain areas, or the psu isn't capable of running the R9390 suddenly. because of it being one or the other and not being able to test it, I'm just going to go out and buy a GTX 1060 which will allow me to have a lower required power draw and a new gpu at once.

P.S. I tried a GTX 660 in it, works perfectly fine.

Thanks to all of you for your input, and I'll be testing the 390 with a more powerful psu either when I buy one or when I find someone to let me use theirs.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter