Getting rid of that used mouse smell?

Hemanse

So i recently bought a Deathadder Chroma used for 25$, it was listed as pretty much new and it is in pretty good condition, except the top and side of it was pretty damn dirty. I dont think the last owner smoked, but its just got that pretty nasty dirty smell to it, even after i have cleaned it up with alcohol etc.

Anyone happen to have any tricks to get rid of the smell? I know vinegar is often good at taking care of bad smells, but i cant exactly dip it in that :)

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I thought you were talking about a dead rat...

This is why I don't buy used peripherals, it's just disgusting.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Hemanse said:

but i cant exactly dip it in that :)

Why not?  Sounds like the previous owner already did a little dipping of his own.  

This thread upsets me.

Damn, I would try to send that shit back. If you got it on ebay and they won't refund the smelly ass thing use the money back guarantee and buy something else. Shit's gross dude.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Use something acidic then basic. 

Going from the two extremes seem to clean very well

for example vinegar and then ammonia 

ph 2.4 for vinegar and ph 11 for ammonia 

shouldnt hurt the mouse as long as you let it dry 

I suggest you "soak it" by soaking a paper towel and wrapping the paper towel around the mouse 

5 minutes ago, AniJan said:

Axe spray the shit out of it.

That's not cleaning. That's called masking ?  I really hope you don't do this often 

Just now, Wolther said:

That's not cleaning. That's called masking ?  I really hope you don't do this often 

I was kidding :I

I was deliberately making an obtuse statement..

Try airing it outside for a day or so and just give it a good clean anyways. I would maybe suggest taking it apart, usually you can take at least the top off to dip that in some cleaning solution.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

I was kidding :I

I was deliberately making an obtuse statement..

Mmm, you'd be surprised how many people actually do that. My apologies for misunderstanding you ^^ 

For real though,

mix some baking soda, peroxide, and little bit of dish detergent ( would recommend the berry smell kind ).

That ought to do it.

Or does it? Never tried it myself, but.

Just now, done12many2 said:

That's the best way to handle this!

Mouse-Fire.jpg

Ew. Burning plastic creates a toxic gas that can give you breathing problems and even lung cancer.

Just now, AniJan said:

Ew. Burning plastic creates a toxic gas that can give you breathing problems and even lung cancer.

I'd rather deal with that then some other guy's bodily who's knows what stinking up my palm, desk and general area.

I'd rather deal with that then some other guy's bodily who's knows what stinking up my palm, desk and general area.

Really? You would rather want health problems that can prove detrimental to your life than some minor odor?

That's a bit doltish in my opinion :I

Just now, AniJan said:

Really? You would rather want health problems that can prove detrimental to your life than some minor odor?

That's a bit doltish in my opinion :I

Wow man.  You're really seeing this one through aren't ya?

It stinks.  Throw it away.

Wow man.  You're really seeing this one through aren't ya?

It stinks.  Throw it away.

I take everything seriously... ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

The mouse is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, some quick pics:

http://imgur.com/a/2wHCl

Just need to clean all the small areas where dust collects, its mostly just dust. I also never said the mouse stinks, i said it smells :) 

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

36 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Use something acidic then basic. 

Going from the two extremes seem to clean very well

for example vinegar and then ammonia 

ph 2.4 for vinegar and ph 11 for ammonia 

shouldnt hurt the mouse as long as you let it dry 

I suggest you "soak it" by soaking a paper towel and wrapping the paper towel around the mouse 

Sounds like a plan, i mean the mouse is clean now, its just got that odd smell that most used hardware has, like its been sitting in a drawer for a while.

Just now, Hemanse said:

Sounds like a plan, i mean the mouse is clean now, its just got that odd smell that most used hardware has, like its been sitting in a drawer for a while.

Like I said, mix some baking soda, peroxide, and little bit of dish detergent to get rid of the odor.

1 minute ago, AniJan said:

Like I said, mix some baking soda, peroxide, and little bit of dish detergent to get rid of the odor.

Will do something like that, thinking i might also just mix vinegar and water in bowl, then put the bowl and the mouse inside a small bag and just leave it in in the bathroom for a day or 2.