Does lower FPS affect overall Latency when ping is high

Gohan6

hello all!

I wish to record my games, but I can only do it at 30fps (have to set the limit in game).

if my ping is high (~100ms) will the latency due to 30 fps affect the overall latency of the game?

I hope my question is clear. (it is in my head)

Latency is from internet

FPS is from you computer

They are separate so no

are you recording straight to youtube?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Your FPS is client-side, Your Ping is server-side.

The higher your FPS, the more accurately you'll be able to see things on your screen.

The lower your Ping, the more accurate actual data such as player positions is.

They are ultimately separate things.

-アパゾ

Technically framerates are a measure of latency from one frame to the next. At a smooth 60 FPS, there is a 16.7 ms delay from one frame to the next, and at 30 FPS that's 33 ms. That is latency in the same sense that network latency is, the two just affect two completely different aspects of the interactivity of your game.

The two aren't directly related, though. Your ping should be the same whether you play at 30 FPS or 60 FPS, if that's what you're asking. You'll just have all the extra problems associated with poor framerates as well. You also can't really consider a "total latency" as a sum of the two.

What's forcing you to actually play the game at 30 FPS? I use Shadowplay, and I think there's an option in there to record at 30 FPS regardless of the framerate of the game.

I don't have shadowplay, I use OBS (also tried plays.tv). I do local recording.

I have a laptop (2670qm + 555m). I can game (overwatch) at ~40-60 fps, but when I record, recording has terrible stuttering. (CPU usage goes from 30-40% during normal game to 99%) my in-game FPS is still high (yes, 40 is my high fps :P )

The only way I found to fix it was to have same FPS as recording. and since I can;t keep constant FPS other than 30, that's what I use.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

Technically framerates are a measure of latency from one frame to the next. At a smooth 60 FPS, there is a 16.7 ms delay from one frame to the next, and at 30 FPS that's 33 ms. That is latency in the same sense that network latency is, the two just affect two completely different aspects of the interactivity of your game.

The two aren't directly related, though. Your ping should be the same whether you play at 30 FPS or 60 FPS, if that's what you're asking. You'll just have all the extra problems associated with poor framerates as well. You also can't really consider a "total latency" as a sum of the two.

What's forcing you to actually play the game at 30 FPS? I use Shadowplay, and I think there's an option in there to record at 30 FPS regardless of the framerate of the game.

I'm not adding the two, but if one is much higher than the other, will the low one matter?

my thinking is that if I have ping 100ms then even if my screen refreshes every 16ms, I won't be able to know what happened in game due to ping.

17 hours ago, Gohan6 said:

I'm not adding the two, but if one is much higher than the other, will the low one matter?

my thinking is that if I have ping 100ms then even if my screen refreshes every 16ms, I won't be able to know what happened in game due to ping.

You ping can affect things like character positioning, hit registration, and so forth, whereas framerates are simply your ability to see changes to the game displayed on your monitor. You may only see a new frame every 16.7 milliseconds, but you may absolutely be able to notice things like enemies dying a few frames after you saw your bullets hit, and things like that.

17 hours ago, typographie said:

You ping can affect things like character positioning, hit registration, and so forth, whereas framerates are simply your ability to see changes to the game displayed on your monitor. You may only see a new frame every 16.7 seconds, but you may absolutely be able to notice things like enemies dying a few frames after you saw your bullets hit, and things like that.

ok, thank you for the feedback!