PC Case Air Pressure Investigation Pt. 1

2 hours ago, Hans Power said:

Hey Luke, I REALLY hope you filtered all the intakes of the Inny PC. Otherwise this exercise is pretty pointless - the theory that positive airpressure reduces dust ONLY works if all the intakes are actually filtered.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Yea, he didn't specifically say but unless he put filters on ALL the intakes (including the rear and top) this is a pointless experiment. @Slick Did you guys do this?

I have a weird fan setup on my PC (rear intake) but I installed a filter on the rear and bottom intake since the case didn't have any there. I've only dusted it once since building it in May but it didn't even need it:

Reveal hidden contents

Just spoke with Luke, all intakes on innie are filtered.

Question @Slick, Do you think you could do a similar experiment where one PC is placed under a stress test of something like Aida64 or Prime95 and another is placed at idle to see if load affects a PC's lifespan?

Saw the title of this video and got all excited. Saw the beginning of this video and got all excited. Saw their experiment and methodology and got all depressed... All the resources and technical expertise in the world, and 0 scientists in the building who actually know how to develop experiments to get the results they say they're looking for.

Still going to be interesting to see the results of this in a year (assuming those PC's don't lose power behind the wall at some point without them noticing, which seems highly probable), but any result they get will not be a showing of "case pressure/airflow vs dust" because they have created other variables like:
different fan amounts/locations
fan filters
lack of monitoring
open grills on top (any dust that would normally settle onto a PC is able to now fall into said PC, thus disturbing the results of "pressure vs dust")
There are likely others, but those are just the ones I could come up with now.

Welp, see you guys in Dec 2017

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

My prediction is Dennis breaks one of them during a random channelsuperfun 2017.

I really hope that when part 2 goes live in a few days time there is a paragraph or two dedicated to all the comments from people who don't understand editing or filming schedules.

1 hour ago, Sacredsock said:

I really hope that when part 2 goes live in a few days time there is a paragraph or two dedicated to all the comments from people who don't understand editing or filming schedules.

They only moved into the warehouse a year and a half ago. If this video was filmed ~a year ago that area they have that wall and the PCs would still be racks of storage.

This was filmed recently.

Great idea, though I don't support having the 'extremes'. Would have much prefered 3 variations of 'flow' to see what the difference is over the long term (where the differences should actually be noticeable).

This way will show what a big difference 'sensible' makes versus 'stupid' though, which is more entertaining, but less useful/informative.

Next time, do 5, I know how Josh loves giving Fractal cases away to you TechTubers :D

/me puts on his 'wait a while again' hat. Though I imagine this was recorded a while back (crosses fingers).

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

Why wait 1 year? Do weekly update with somee photos.

Don't open those cases or anything, just take a quick photo, so we can see how much dust is in each of those cases.

Also I have to comment: How to waste electricity 101

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

why the In-Betweeny isn't in the center ? :)

will you check every day if the all the fans are running . you never know . maybe one of them dies and no one notesed

15 hours ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Question @Slick, Do you think you could do a similar experiment where one PC is placed under a stress test of something like Aida64 or Prime95 and another is placed at idle to see if load affects a PC's lifespan?

thats not a meaningfull test, the differences in IC manufacturing alone could account for any failures. to get a somewhat usable result out of it they would have to have test groups of atleast 100 pc's running in IDENTICAL surroundings (so preferably in a server room with airconditioning and humidity control)

2 hours ago, tlink said:

thats not a meaningfull test, the differences in IC manufacturing alone could account for any failures. to get a somewhat usable result out of it they would have to have test groups of atleast 100 pc's running in IDENTICAL surroundings (so preferably in a server room with airconditioning and humidity control)

Surely doing it with arm based SOC's should still yield meaningful data when comparing load vs lifespan. Doing it with a dozen raspberry pi zero's would be a cool test. 

8 minutes ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Surely doing it with arm based SOC's should still yield meaningful data when comparing load vs lifespan. Doing it with a dozen raspberry pi zero's would be a cool test. 

yes but thats an entirely different architecture on a completely different instructionset, we don't know how much of that caries trough to 64bit processors.

9 minutes ago, tlink said:

yes but thats an entirely different architecture on a completely different instructionset, we don't know how much of that caries trough to 64bit processors.

True but it's better than nothing. Even if you don't get exact data, you should still be able to see a general trend. 

1 minute ago, Jetfighter808 said:

True but it's better than nothing. Even if you don't get exact data, you should still be able to see a general trend. 

no, because they are both made in a different manufacturing process. you can't carry trough results like that. we only know that it will be somewhat similar to that but not by how much or if degradation is faster or worse. basically all you're going to get from it is: yes, using it degrades it.

Should have weighed them before and after with an accurate scale! and then expressed the difference as a percent gained (ignore component differences and other discrepancies).

The analyst inside me thrives. 

Edit; I like this idea, and its not too late to weigh ;)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Now I am curious, what are the computers doing while being on? Are they just sitting in the windows home screen (probably not plugged in to a monitor)? Also how are you guys going to keep electrical costs down?

@Slick

1. The term is "laminar" airflow. Not "balanced". Although that's an accurate description.

2. Can we please stop with the Fractal cases? I realize they're a sponsor but......seriously get a new sponsor. Their cases are boring and unimaginative at best.

I get that you guys depend on both sponsors and viewers for your existence, but for the love of god, change things up sooner or later. Believe it or not, you CAN beat a fad to death. And at this point, the Fractal cases have flies buzzing around them.

Also worth noting, that this test is as much a test of Fractal cases, as it is of airflow style. Of which Laminar flow (or "balanced" as you put it) is the logical best conclusion.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Please do wire just fans to one PSU and be at least in a year long experiment a little enviromentally friendly. Heat really shouldnt make much of a difference with dust accumulation.

Hope they see this and act about it.

Loving your videos for 4 or  5 years now :)

On 12/10/2016 at 10:10 PM, Trik'Stari said:

@Slick

1. The term is "laminar" airflow. Not "balanced". Although that's an accurate description.

2. Can we please stop with the Fractal cases? I realize they're a sponsor but......seriously get a new sponsor. Their cases are boring and unimaginative at best.

I get that you guys depend on both sponsors and viewers for your existence, but for the love of god, change things up sooner or later. Believe it or not, you CAN beat a fad to death. And at this point, the Fractal cases have flies buzzing around them.

Also worth noting, that this test is as much a test of Fractal cases, as it is of airflow style. Of which Laminar flow (or "balanced" as you put it) is the logical best conclusion.

Not that it would REALLY matter either way (we use the hardware we choose to use - at our size we never receive a "no" for a hardware request unless it's completely outlandish, and even those get approved a surprising amount of the time...) but Fractal hasn't been a sponsor on our channel for like... over a year at this point, if I remember correctly. Luke just chose to use the Define R5 for this video as it's a popular case that many of our viewers have for their personal rigs.

Good feedback though, we'll take it into account :)

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Not that it would REALLY matter either way (we use the hardware we choose to use - at our size we never receive a "no" for a hardware request unless it's completely outlandish, and even those get approved a surprising amount of the time...) but Fractal hasn't been a sponsor on our channel for like... over a year at this point, if I remember correctly. Luke just chose to use the Define R5 for this video as it's a popular case that many of our viewers have for their personal rigs.

Good feedback though, we'll take it into account :)

I can understand that, I'm also betting that you just had them on hand.

I just get sick of seeing them personally. The whole "minimalist" thing just really bores and annoys me. If you're going to do something custom, make it stand out from the crowd. At this point, in my mind, building a custom PC in a fractal case is like saying you're going to build a hot rod, and using a mustang. Spit in any direct and you'll hit five of them.

Thought for a video, since I've got you responding (and to be fair, you guys respond A LOT more than I would expect. Seriously, much respect for that.)

Linus works with a 3d graphic designer, or does a drawing or something, and comes up with a design for his ultimate custom case.

And then takes that design to a machine shop and has it built.

I'd be interested to see what he comes up with, and I think a lot of people would as well. Hell, make it a series and have each member of the cast/crew do the same.

Keep up the great work.

17 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I can understand that, I'm also betting that you just had them on hand.

I just get sick of seeing them personally. The whole "minimalist" thing just really bores and annoys me. If you're going to do something custom, make it stand out from the crowd. At this point, in my mind, building a custom PC in a fractal case is like saying you're going to build a hot rod, and using a mustang. Spit in any direct and you'll hit five of them.

Thought for a video, since I've got you responding (and to be fair, you guys respond A LOT more than I would expect. Seriously, much respect for that.)

Linus works with a 3d graphic designer, or does a drawing or something, and comes up with a design for his ultimate custom case.

And then takes that design to a machine shop and has it built.

I'd be interested to see what he comes up with, and I think a lot of people would as well. Hell, make it a series and have each member of the cast/crew do the same.

Keep up the great work.

isn't that basically this? 

18 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

isn't that basically this? 

I guess, but I would make the distinction that that's a desk. and not a "case".

Meh.