OC am I doing it wrong?

Witawd

Getting right to it... after following many YT guides/ tutorials for overclocking, none stick. After I save and exit bios, Speedfan, CPU-Z, and one other ( not near computer, so don't remember what program it is ) do not show my multiplier or anything being changed. I've updated the bios, and everything I can think of that's relevant to, well everything haha.

I5-2500k

Z77 Pro3 ( latest bios released )

Hyper 212

600 or 650Watt PSU 

750ti

I change the multiplier, enable/ disable settings, change numbers and scales that are shown in the 4 different videos I've watched. Even lowering the multiplier, but still using the ridiculous voltages they're using to get 4.5-5x multipliers.

Even when attempting to use the out of the box overclock the board has options for, they don't stick either.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

are you using XMP or Manual? (post 250!!!)

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Only thing I can think of is that you're exiting the BIOS wrong, it's usually F10 to save settings and exit BIOS.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

6 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

are you using XMP or Manual? (post 250!!!)

Uhhhh, manual?

so your bios reset to default every time you exit the bios? or is it just windows that won't see your changes? 

6 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Only thing I can think of is that you're exiting the BIOS wrong, it's usually F10 to save settings and exit BIOS.

I'll have to try that when I get home, I go to the option where it says something along the lines of " save and exit bios "

then you are using XMP. where you drop down to click xmp, select manual instead.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

1 minute ago, dj-lucas said:

so your bios reset to default every time you exit the bios? or is it just windows that won't see your changes? 

It'll still show the multiplier I've set in the bios, but the clock is unchanged before and after reset in bios and monitoring programs

Just now, Witawd said:

I'll have to try that when I get home, I go to the option where it says something along the lines of " save and exit bios "

That should save any changes you made to the CMOS then. So if you're doing that correctly, and it's not saving the changes when you look in the BIOS next time, then the answer should be that your CMOS battery might need replacing or that the motherboard is borked.... so next time you change something do it this way:-

1. Change settings and exit - F10 or choose that setting.
  2. On reboot, go into BISO again by pressing DEL on startup.
  3. Look to see if those chnages you made are there..
  4. If changes are there.. then no problem.
  5. if changes aren't there, reset CMOS and go back to step 1.. if after re-trying it still doesn't keep changes, goto 6.
  6. Replace CMOS battery and try again.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

then the answer should be that your CMOS battery might need replacing 

shouldn't matter unless he unplugs his computer from the wall

1 minute ago, paddy-stone said:

That should save any changes you made to the CMOS then. So if you're doing that correctly, and it's not saving the changes when you look in the BIOS next time, then the answer should be that your CMOS battery might need replacing or that the motherboard is borked.... so next time you change something do it this way:-

1. Change settings and exit - F10 or choose that setting.
  2. On reboot, go into BISO again by pressing DEL on startup.
  3. Look to see if those chnages you made are there..
  4. If changes are there.. then no problem.
  5. if changes aren't there, reset CMOS and go back to step 1.. if after re-trying it still doesn't keep changes, goto 6.
  6. Replace CMOS battery and try again.

Deal! ?

Thanks for the help guys/gals! I'll report back after work ( like 6 more hours.... )

1 minute ago, dj-lucas said:

shouldn't matter unless he unplugs his computer from the wall

Hasn't been unplugged since I've started trying to OC

6 minutes ago, Witawd said:

It'll still show the multiplier I've set in the bios, but the clock is unchanged before and after reset in bios and monitoring programs

did you set "CPU Ratio" to "all core"?

and whats your host clock at?

2 minutes ago, dj-lucas said:

did you set "CPU Ratio" to "all core"?

and whats your host clock at?

Yes, I have it set to all core

" overclock i5 2500k asrock z77 pro3 " 

Watched the first like 4 or 5 vids. Messed around with what they said/ messed with voltages after those didn't stick, from some forum guides

@paddy-stone @dj-lucas

My settings are still there, I exited via F10, still no change in CPU-Z or Speedfan

Update:

Asrock Extreme Tuning Utility recognizes my CPU ratio and speed as being raised

Running Prime95, Speedfan says my CPU temp is 40C the Asrock tuner says 66C

Are you able to take pictures of all of your BIOS pages before you save and exit and post them please?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

33 minutes ago, Spudbilly said:

Are you able to take pictures of all of your BIOS pages before you save and exit and post them please?

For reference?

Speed fan and CPU-Z just don't recognize my hardwarehouse correctly. HWManager and the Asrock tunning utility do.

.7 OC for 4.0 atm, stays around 75c max on prime 95. I'll mess around with it more if I need.

12 minutes ago, Witawd said:

For reference?

Speed fan and CPU-Z just don't recognize my hardwarehouse correctly. HWManager and the Asrock tunning utility do.

.7 OC for 4.0 atm, stays around 75c max on prime 95. I'll mess around with it more if I need.

There is a lot more included in BIOS besides clock multipliers and voltages. There is also chipset features, and other various settings. It would help to see it in order to help you. If it's too much work to do...then don't worry about it. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

It's not too much, but I've used settings from videos and forums and have been tweaking them for stability. Everything has been running great, so this post is well, kind of pointless now. Should have tried more monitoring software before I posted here.

Thanks tho

9 hours ago, Witawd said:

It's not too much, but I've used settings from videos and forums and have been tweaking them for stability. Everything has been running great, so this post is well, kind of pointless now. Should have tried more monitoring software before I posted here.

Thanks tho

Are you stressing the CPU to see if it's increasing? If you're just at idle it will downclock (mine downclocks to 1.6Ghz at idle) just to save power (unless you've turned this off). 

I can't imagine this happening to your Mobo (but it did with mine, damn young me buying cheap!) but when I tried to OC mine it stuck to stock speeds of 3.3Ghz. I found out this was because my VRM's were overheating, when I bought an AIO watercooler for my CPU it resolved that issue luckily and my OC is nice and stable

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

53 minutes ago, Flobberknock said:

Are you stressing the CPU to see if it's increasing? If you're just at idle it will downclock (mine downclocks to 1.6Ghz at idle) just to save power (unless you've turned this off). 

I can't imagine this happening to your Mobo (but it did with mine, damn young me buying cheap!) but when I tried to OC mine it stuck to stock speeds of 3.3Ghz. I found out this was because my VRM's were overheating, when I bought an AIO watercooler for my CPU it resolved that issue luckily and my OC is nice and stable

I can do 4.0 and 4.5 stable with a Hyper 212. Running Prime 95 for 30 mins, max temp at 4.0 was 78 ( would hit that for a few minutes, then drop down to 70 )

4.5 was around 85, then dropped down to 75. Need to retest with lowr voltage etc.

Mine also down clocks to 1.6, kinda freaked me out at first. I was like "how the fuck does more power = less " . A quick Google search cured my moment of confusion.

I like the clock on your Card tho, can only do +180( around 1250 MHz )  with stock voltages on my GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE before I get screen tearing for anything over  +200 MHz 

1 minute ago, Witawd said:

I can do 4.0 and 4.5 stable with a Hyper 212. Running Prime 95 for 30 mins, max temp at 4.0 was 78 ( would hit that for a few minutes, then drop down to 70 )

4.5 was around 85, then dropped down to 75. Need to retest with lowr voltage etc.

Mine also down clocks to 1.6, kinda freaked me out at first. I was like "how the fuck does more power = less " . A quick Google search cured my moment of confusion.

I like the clock on your Card tho, can only do +180( around 1250 MHz )  with stock voltages on my GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE before I get screen tearing for anything over  +200 MHz 

Oops I totally missed your message saying that you've sorted it...lol

Thanks! I don't run it at that all the time because there's just no point, but if I play something like The Witcher 3 then I crank it up and watch the frames flow in!

CPU: AMD 7800X3D  | GPU: Asus Dual RTX 2080 Advanced | RAM: 32GB 6000MHz CL30 | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F

PSU: Corsair RX750 | OS: Windows 11 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Brown Switches) 

24 minutes ago, Flobberknock said:

Oops I totally missed your message saying that you've sorted it...lol

Thanks! I don't run it at that all the time because there's just no point, but if I play something like The Witcher 3 then I crank it up and watch the frames flow in!

I hear yah! Im just trying to figure out max I can go with the parts, downclock that about 10-15%, use it til it breaks and build new 

Z77 pro3

i5-2500k

750ti

120gb SSD

200R corsair case

650Watt PSU

Hyper 212 ( really nice corsair fans )

For $250 from a friend. 

So, as long as she lasts me til like Feb, idc lol

( had to buy a 1tb WD black $45, Wireless card $50, mouse and keyboard tho. Corsair strafe MX reds for $45 and a Torq x10 mouse for $15.)