Premium HDMI Cables?

So I have recently purchased a PS4 Pro for one of the console exclusives that they have released. As some of you may know, the console now supports up to 4k resolutions (with varying support in games).

I currently also have a Dell 4K monitor, but unfortunately it only supports 4K resolutions @ 30Hz over HDMI and @ 60Hz over DisplayPort.  When connecting the two, I was hoping to have it just work at 4K @ 30Hz, but unfortunately I was met with disappointment.  The console would only output 1080p in my current configuration.

After doing some research on the internet, I stumbled over this article: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/premium-ps4-pro-hdmi-hdmi-2-0-cable-needed-for-4k-support/

The article claims that you will need a "Premium HDMI Cable" for 4K resolutions to work @ 60Hz.  Obviously, my monitor will not work @ 60 Hz over HDMI, but I was at least hoping to get some type of 4K resolution output.

I've seen Linus's video about the $1000 Premium HDMI Cable, however it doesn't really cover much about 4K resolutions and the performance of lower refresh rates.

The official PlayStation blog also posted a official FAQ, in which they state:

From: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/08/ps4-pro-the-ultimate-faq/

Q: Why do I need a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable for using PS4 Pro on my 4K TV?
For maximum quality, you’ll need a PS4 Pro system, a 4K TV with a Premium HDMI input port (often marked in blue), and a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable. A Premium High Speed HDMI Cable is included with PS4 Pro, but those who need to purchase a longer cable should remember to get one that meets the Premium High Speed HDMI spec.

The newer Premium High Speed HDMI format can display a 4K signal at up to 60 frames per second (60Hz). When using older Premium High Speed HDMI Cables, users may experience issues such as flickering TV screens or images being displayed incorrectly.

Q: What video output settings does PS4 Pro support?
At launch, PS4 Pro supports all of the HD video output settings found on the standard PS4. Notably, PS4 Pro introduces 4K output, with settings for both 2160p YUV420 and 2160p RGB (recommended if your TV supports it) at up to 60 frames per second when using a supported 4K TV and Premium High Speed HDMI Cable.

As far as I know, the HDMI 2.0 standard doesn't change the physical cable spec... but from the FAQ answer, it makes it sound like the cable actually matters now.

It seems that HDMI does have a certification program for cable manufacturers (see quoted link), but I'm a bit skeptical about if these "Premium" cables are different now that HDMI 2.0 is slowly rolling out.

My gut instinct is that this is all just still marketing lies, but I'd like to ask what you guys think.

no just look for a hdmi 2.0 cable and it should work 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

A "premium" cable just means it's been tested and guaranteed to work at whatever HDMI specification it claims to be rated for. That doesn't mean any other HDMI cable won't work with that spec. The one the comes with the PS4 Pro doesn't feel premium, but it works in outputting 4K HDR.

The PS4 Pro is probably picky about outputting at 4K as well. If HDMI only works at 30Hz 4K, then it's an HDMI 1.4 port. I think PS4 Pro requires HDMI 2.0 for 4K.

5 minutes ago, geeksquads said:

So I have recently purchased a PS4 Pro for one of the console exclusives that they have released. As some of you may know, the console now supports up to 4k resolutions (with varying support in games).

I currently also have a Dell 4K monitor, but unfortunately it only supports 4K resolutions @ 30Hz over HDMI and @ 60Hz over DisplayPort.  When connecting the two, I was hoping to have it just work at 4K @ 30Hz, but unfortunately I was met with disappointment.  The console would only output 1080p in my current configuration.

After doing some research on the internet, I stumbled over this article: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/09/09/premium-ps4-pro-hdmi-hdmi-2-0-cable-needed-for-4k-support/

The article claims that you will need a "Premium HDMI Cable" for 4K resolutions to work @ 60Hz.  Obviously, my monitor will not work @ 60 Hz over HDMI, but I was at least hoping to get some type of 4K resolution output.

I've seen Linus's video about the $1000 Premium HDMI Cable, however it doesn't really cover much about 4K resolutions and the performance of lower refresh rates.

The official PlayStation blog also posted a official FAQ, in which they state:

As far as I know, the HDMI 2.0 standard doesn't change the physical cable spec... but from the FAQ answer, it makes it sound like the cable actually matters now.

It seems that HDMI does have a certification program for cable manufacturers (see quoted link), but I'm a bit skeptical about if these "Premium" cables are different now that HDMI 2.0 is slowly rolling out.

My gut instinct is that this is all just still marketing lies, but I'd like to ask what you guys think.

According to the HDMI 2.0 page existing "High-Speed" cables are sufficient, but in practice sometimes lower quality cables are not cable of handling HDMI 2.0 data rates. Just get a cheap HDMI cable on Amazon as long as it advertises "HDMI 2.0 support" or "4K 60 Hz" support. (Don't just look for "4K" because they could just mean 4K 30 Hz).

NO! Don't get premium HDMI cables. it doesn't matter

all that matters is the generation of cable. a HDMI Generation 2.0 will support 4K @ 60FPS and lower. if you don't get a 2.0 cable, you wont utilize the 4K to it's fullest extent.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Also the only 4K monitors Dell has that I think is the one OP has is either the P2415Q or the P2715Q. I believe both don't support 4K 60Hz over HDMI. It has to be over DP.

Yes, I have a P2415Q. You are correct in that it will only support 4k @ 60Hz over DP.  I was thinking about getting a HDMI to DP adapter, however I don't actually know if the conversion between standards will work for 4k @ 60Hz.  I have a feeling that the system will be picky about the conversion, especially when considering how standards like HDCP work. I'm not sure how things like the HDCP standard changes over the display standard... or if I would need some type of active adapter to translate between the two implementations.

Edit: Actually, I can't seem to find any type of adapter that would do what I mentioned above... so maybe it is a non-issue?  Not sure if it'll actually work, but I'll be purchasing a HDMI to DP adapter to test in the coming days/weeks... None that I've seen seem to advertise working specifically with the HDMI 2.0 standard, so I'm not too confident 4k @ 60Hz is currently possible with a conversion adapter.

Edit2: Pretty much every cable/adapter that I've looked at so far seem to only work if you are transferring from DisplayPort to HDMI... and not the other way around.  Perhaps the conversion that I want is not possible.  More testing will be needed...

----

1 hour ago, RadiatingLight said:

NO! Don't get premium HDMI cables. it doesn't matter

all that matters is the generation of cable. a HDMI Generation 2.0 will support 4K @ 60FPS and lower. if you don't get a 2.0 cable, you wont utilize the 4K to it's fullest extent.

I guess the use of the word "premium" is what is confusing most people, since it kind of has multiple meanings.  The FAQ that I quoted initially seems to use "premium" to indicate a cable that supports the HDMI 2.0 standard... versus "premium" meaning a cable that using flashy materials and selling at marked-up prices.

----

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

According to the HDMI 2.0 page existing "High-Speed" cables are sufficient, but in practice sometimes lower quality cables are not cable of handling HDMI 2.0 data rates. Just get a cheap HDMI cable on Amazon as long as it advertises "HDMI 2.0 support" or "4K 60 Hz" support. (Don't just look for "4K" because they could just mean 4K 30 Hz).

Shouldn't all reasonably-priced HDMI cables be the same?  HDMI cables aren't marked with version numbers.  From my understanding, all HDMI cables should all be the same, and it is a matter for the device on each end to decide what resolutions and refresh rates should be supported over this cable.

Edited by geeksquads
updating information about my HDMI/DP conversion adventures.

4 minutes ago, geeksquads said:

Shouldn't all reasonably-priced HDMI cables be the same?  HDMI cables aren't marked with version numbers.  From my understanding, all HDMI cables should all be the same, and it is a matter for the device on each end to decide what resolutions and refresh rates should be supported over this cable.

Technically yes, and there are no actual "versions" of cables, but that does not mean they are all exactly the same. It just means there is no official process for categorizing them.

Digital signals work as long as the signal gets through in good enough shape to be interpreted. The thinner the wire gauge and the longer the distance, the more signal attenuation there will be, meaning lower signal-to-noise ratio. With a digital signal, any noise is cleaned up by the receiving device, so noise does not actually affect the image, until there is so much noise that the receiving device can no longer read the signal at all and the image will cut out completely.

Signals at higher frequencies (i.e. 4K 60 Hz or other formats with equivalent bandwidth requirements) will have a lower threshold at which the noise level is too much to be able to read the signal. So a cable that is too thin/long may drop out at 4K 60 Hz even though it is capable of transmitting at 4K 30 Hz or 1080p.

Any HDMI cable of decent quality should handle it fine, even if they are only so-called "HDMI 1.4" cables. You don't need cables that cost $50+ (at normal distances) to be able to get 4K 60 Hz, but super cheap, thin, or long "HDMI 1.4" cables may not be able to handle HDMI 2.0 data rates. So, it is prudent to look for one that lists "4K 60 Hz" support so that you know it has been validated by the manufacturer to handle HDMI 2.0 data rates.

The only difference I seen from a $12 Harbor Freight cable and a $30 Monster cable is build quality. I would say as long as the cable is built to the specs you need it should work. Getting more expensive cables tends to help with them not breaking all the time. The ones I purchased from Harbor Freight would break due to the shitty plastic ends they used. The monster cable had what looks like to be more metal ends. Less breakage as a results.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Here's another thing to note: An HDMI cable not working correctly isn't going to 'reduce the quality of your image'.  It will straight up break it.  It's a digital signal, it will not be 'softer', or 'have mushier colors' or something that'd you'd need to have some kind of 'eye for detail' to pick up it; you will see utterly garbled frames or worse.  You will have zero doubt that 'something is seriously wrong'.