Need help extending wifi connection.

spiralfuzion

So I've done a decent amount of research on the pros and cons of having your own router vs renting one from an isp and I've determined that I'd rather use my isps router/modem. I have great connection upstairs but when I go downstairs my connection drops like crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? 

11 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

I've thought about purchasing a wifi extender. 

Nice thought. I would do that to. How far is the downstair region? Would it be far enough to justify the connection drop? Did you test with same device to make sure it's not the device having problem connecting?

it differs from device to device. But most of the time the signal is really weak. I'll probably pick up an extender. 

2 hours ago, spiralfuzion said:

So I've done a decent amount of research on the pros and cons of having your own router vs renting one from an isp and I've determined that I'd rather use my isps router/modem. I have great connection upstairs but when I go downstairs my connection drops like crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this? 

I wouldn't suggest wifi repeater/extender cause it's basically trash. Linus must be disagreeing as well, cause that's what he said in the video when he went to Singapore.

So your ISP modem slash router is upstairs, and  nothing is downstairs. My suggestion would be use the ISP modem slash router upstairs, run LAN cable downstairs, and use your own router downstairs as access point (using the same subnet). Set the both SSID with the same name and password but different channel. Make sure minimum area where the signal intersect. That's it.

If running LAN cable is not your choice then buy the powerline adapter. It's plug and play. Cheap one is limited to 200Mbps, some expensive one has higher speed.

On 12/7/2016 at 11:16 PM, hartantovictor said:

I wouldn't suggest wifi repeater/extender cause it's basically trash. Linus must be disagreeing as well, cause that's what he said in the video when he went to Singapore.

So your ISP modem slash router is upstairs, and  nothing is downstairs. My suggestion would be use the ISP modem slash router upstairs, run LAN cable downstairs, and use your own router downstairs as access point (using the same subnet). Set the both SSID with the same name and password but different channel. Make sure minimum area where the signal intersect. That's it.

If running LAN cable is not your choice then buy the powerline adapter. It's plug and play. Cheap one is limited to 200Mbps, some expensive one has higher speed.

any good power-line adapters that you recommend? 

2 hours ago, spiralfuzion said:

any good power-line adapters that you recommend? 

Not really. I'd just buy tp-link. They have many range of specs for power line. Should be meaning they have many experience in this.

p.s:

Tbh, I don't trust powerline also. Cause the stability is kinda sh*t as well. I'd only go for running LAN cable downstairs no matter what. Cause you don't want to get angry and used up your energy just because the internet is down for about 2 minutes 5-10 times in a week, PLUS needing to restart this..unplug that..bla bla. I might die younger. lol.