Windows 10 now runs on ARM, MS demos Photoshop running on Snapdragon 820

AlexGoesHigh

still prefer linux over win 10

I mean theres been a arm port of arch linux for a few years now

yeahyuz

17 hours ago, RGProductions said:

More of a joke about how useless the surface RT is than anything else.

The only thing the Surface RT is still really decent at is Microsoft Office 2013. That is if you use an external monitor.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

*tests gaming by looking at the lobby for World of Tanks*

Bro, do you even game? Everyone knows performance in game lobbies proves nothing.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

This is actually pretty nifty. Its more of a stopgap for our generation of instruction sets and architecture. That being said, I don't see why developers cant natively compile a ARM/ARM64 binary for their apps or bring out newer UWP apps. Its still in its infancy yes, but it'll be the only way to achieve true cross-platform compatibility. Linux already has a good chunk of ARM binaries, time for Windows to catchup too.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

12 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

This is actually pretty nifty. Its more of a stopgap for our generation of instruction sets and architecture. That being said, I don't see why developers cant natively compile a ARM/ARM64 binary for their apps or bring out newer UWP apps. Its still in its infancy yes, but it'll be the only way to achieve true cross-platform compatibility. Linux already has a good chunk of ARM binaries, time for Windows to catchup too.

I am pretty sure the Windows APIs have not been ported to ARM, so there is nothing the developers can do in that regard. As for why they can't use UWP, that's because UWP sucks ass.

14 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Primarily cause M$ hasn't cared until recently, so as you said, it's in it's infancy. The other (and I'd image the bigger) reason is purely cause of market share, Linux cares since it's embraced by the open-source community which will create it itself, M$ won't do anything unless it thinks it can get more money out of it. Same goes for the major software development companies.

Cause, seriously, why would you develop an application for a platform you weren't going to use yourself or a bunch of people won't use?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

I called this about 5 years ago and my brother told me I was nuts. Hmm who's laughing now? *chuckle, chuckle*

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Maybe I'm getting too old for this sh...tuff. What would be the advantage for Win10/ARM? Lower power consumption at lower performance? Lower cost? I'm not seeing a compelling use case here. If you want to do phone/tablet stuff, you can get phones/tablets. If you need x64, you get x64. What niche is there for low power x86?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, porina said:

Maybe I'm getting too old for this sh...tuff. What would be the advantage for Win10/ARM? Lower power consumption at lower performance? Lower cost? I'm not seeing a compelling use case here. If you want to do phone/tablet stuff, you can get phones/tablets. If you need x64, you get x64. What niche is there for low power x86?

Cheaper hardware isn't useless for Windows 10 anymore, basically. For example, the lack of x86 support for the Surface RT made it an absolute flop, but now (a device similar to it with a SD821) could be a usable machine for most casual users.

Edited by MarieKirya
Specify train of thought ?

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

4 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Cheaper hardware isn't useless for Windows 10 anymore, basically. For example, the lack of x86 support for the Surface RT made it an absolute flop, but now (a device similar to it with a SD821) could be a usable machine for most casual users.

This ARM chip only supports x86, not x64. How many Win32 apps do you want to run that you can't get already as a native app or functional equivalent? Would a mainstream user have use for this? I'm really struggling here...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

This ARM chip only supports x86, not x64. How many Win32 apps do you want to run that you can't get already as a native app or functional equivalent? Would a mainstream user have use for this? I'm really struggling here...

Not sure of the specifics of this implementation, but I believe the SD821 is an ARM64 processor. Which means it's capable of running 64bit instruction sets. Looks like you have to resort to getting 32bit versions of the applications from the way it's built now.

8thcdfoz.png

However there's not much stopping them from adding support for the 64bit instructions AFAIK. My two theories is: A) Win10 has no ARM64 build yet, or B) There are incompatibilites between ARM64 and x86_64.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

1 minute ago, MarieKirya said:

However there's not much stopping them from adding support for the 64bit instructions AFAIK. My two theories is: A) Win10 has no ARM64 build yet, or B) There are incompatibilites between ARM64 and x86_64.

I saw a 3rd theory elsewhere: that there is some IP limitation preventing it.

8 minutes ago, porina said:

2 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

Not sure of the specifics of this implementation, but I believe the SD821 is an ARM64 processor. Which means it's capable of running 64bit instruction sets. Looks like you have to resort to getting 32bit versions of the applications from the way it's built now.

<snip>

Don't quote me but I believe because of the current version (beta) it is an emulation form of the full desktop. It is my understanding that this may or may not be coded to run without the emulation in the future but I could be completely wrong here... 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Don't quote me but I believe because of the current version (beta) it is an emulation form of the full desktop. It is my understanding that this may or may not be coded to run without the emulation in the future but I could be completely wrong here... 

TL;DR, Microsoft recompiled Windows on ARM32 using the Win32 APIs. But closed off those APIs to developers making it a pain to develop for. Now they're opening up those APIs and allowing the machine to emulate x86 on the fly. That is according to this article: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/microsoft-pushes-for-a-more-modern-pc-with-vr-project-evo-and-arm-support/

Full Quote:

The truth is that Windows for ARM has never really gone away. The first Windows on ARM iteration was dubbed Windows RT, and it launched on the first Surface tablet. Although this system provided almost every part of Windows, just recompiled for 32-bit ARM processors, Microsoft locked it down using a certificate-based security scheme. Built-in desktop apps, such as Explorer and Calculator ran fine, as did the pre-installed version of Office, but third-party desktop apps built using the Win32 API were prohibited. The only third-party apps that were permitted were those built using the new WinRT API and distributed through the Windows Store.

Edited by MarieKirya
Remove silly Ars formatting on quote. ?

59 minutes ago, MarieKirya said:

TL;DR, Microsoft recompiled Windows on ARM32 using the Win32 APIs. But closed off those APIs to developers making it a pain to develop for. Now they're opening up those APIs and allowing the machine to emulate x86 on the fly. That is according to this article: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/microsoft-pushes-for-a-more-modern-pc-with-vr-project-evo-and-arm-support/

Full Quote:

That is what I thought.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's about time, but don't expect good performance from the emulator, ESPECIALLY in highly complex programs.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, porina said:

It will probably be used for those really cheap laptops. If you can reduce the BOM cost by 50 dollars on a 300 dollar device, then your profits skyrocket.

For someone like my grandma, the performance and functionality of this would probably be just fine. It makes sense for someone who just want a really cheap laptop.

19 hours ago, porina said:

A ton. Here are a few:

Photoshop

HexChat

NotePad++

A ton of games.

SyncPlay

Wireshark

Greenshot

Audacity

Inkscape

MKVToolNix

YouTube-dlg

Cheat Engine

Rufus

Just to mention a few (that I could see while scrolling though my list of installed programs).

Oh and please bear in mind that for Windows phones and tablets the app selection is about as barren as lake Karachay.

19 hours ago, MarieKirya said:

We don't know how the emulator works, but chances are that x86 is easier to translate into ARM instruction than x86_64. It's not like they can just take the 32bit code and go "now let's put it on a 64bit ARM processor and the 64bit instructions will map 1:1 to the x86_64 instructions".

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

We don't know how the emulator works, but chances are that x86 is easier to translate into ARM instruction than x86_64. It's not like they can just take the 32bit code and go "now let's put it on a 64bit ARM processor and the 64bit instructions will map 1:1 to the x86_64 instructions".

Yea, no way I'm suggesting that emulators only need to do a find and replace on instructions and it magically works. That simply isn't possibly with a RISC architecture like ARM and the CISC architecture of x86(_64). But I wouldn't be surprised if ARM64's 64bit operations allowed for more efficient emulation of traditional (32-bit) desktop processors to the point it became a viable option for Microsoft to pursue.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It will probably be used for those really cheap laptops. If you can reduce the BOM cost by 50 dollars on a 300 dollar device, then your profits skyrocket.

For someone like my grandma, the performance and functionality of this would probably be just fine. It makes sense for someone who just want a really cheap laptop.

There are already Windows native x86 laptops on offer new currently around US$175 inc. tax in the UK and not resorting to a chromebook. They're Atom based so no speed king, but it can't be worse than the ARM x86 will be. So, it might only make sense even lower down in price... that weird zone where it is not quite fully a tablet or laptop.

1 minute ago, porina said:

There are already Windows native x86 laptops on offer new currently around US$175 inc. tax in the UK and not resorting to a chromebook. They're Atom based so no speed king, but it can't be worse than the ARM x86 will be. So, it might only make sense even lower down in price... that weird zone where it is not quite fully a tablet or laptop.

Atom will still be more expensive than a ARM SoC. The space savings will allow for more space in the device to be used for battery life and budget could be used for improving things like screens from hideous TN 1366x768 panels in machines like those.

This idea reminds me of the cheap Chromebooks out there. They are too slow for me though.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

On 07/12/2016 at 10:51 PM, CtrlAltELITE said:

I hope so. The intel monopoly on x86 architecture needs to finally die.

Buy AMD next time you get a PC.

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

Buy AMD next time you get a PC.

Lol

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

29 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

Lol

and this is why there's a monopoly :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

and this is why there's a monopoly :P 

Indeed, also the fact that Intel has an iron grip on the x86 standard. AMD is the only one allowed to make use of it with a load of clauses (including losing the ability to make use of it if they go bust).

If intel would be forced to open the licence to x86 up then we could see the likes of ARM coming to the table with something powerful. But for obvious reasons Intel will never let that happen. Unless AMD can bring anything meaningful in the future we are going to see a serious stifling of innovation in the high end CPU market.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact