Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hardcore21

M40x vs m50x

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I listen mostly to rap/hip pop and I wanted to go with the m40x's but I'm not sure if I'm gonna like the 'flat' sound signature. Will the m50x be a better choice or should i buy the m40x.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've literally seen ten people here today alone that've used both and say there's not much difference between the sound but the m40xs are a better value


PSU Tier List LTT Gender Survey

LTT's self-appointed memelord

Always up for a game of chess

See @STRMfrmXMN @Energycore or @Starelementpoke for PSU needs

See @deXxterlab97 for blue fetishes (if that's your thing)

See @ShadowTechXTS for cats

@Implosivetech's got you covered for all your graphic design needs

And lastly, never put a CX green series PSU in a high end build https://youtu.be/Oybz5Q-If9M?t=7

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If exaggerated bass is what you're looking for it's certainly not what you're getting with the m40xs. Honestly the price increase isn't worth it for the m50xs though. I'm not into rap but the m40xs are a much better value.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a pair of m50x's, and they're fantastic

although, from what I've heard, them and the m40x's are pretty similar, so go for whatever's cheaper

 


Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

 

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 m40x :D 


Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

M50x have heavy low end, and stupidly sibilant highs. I can use 668B's that I modded to be open as hell, and are insanely sibilant for about an hour before my ears hurt too much, and the M50x somehow manage to top that. I don't get it. Very few other people seem to have this problem either.

 

M40x are much closer to neutral. Low end extension is better in my opinion, but that may just be the low end swamp of the M50x making it hard to really hear. Soundstage is better on the M40x too, though neither are particularly wide.

 

Both have god-awful stock pads. Swap them with HM5 pleather. Velours make the highs even worse on the M50x. Didn't try them with M40x as they weren't available at the time. The pads widen the sound-stage to a reasonable level too.

 


Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moist_Sock said:

M50x have heavy low end, and stupidly sibilant highs. I can use 668B's that I modded to be open as hell, and are insanely sibilant for about an hour before my ears hurt too much, and the M50x somehow manage to top that. I don't get it. Very few other people seem to have this problem either.

 

M40x are much closer to neutral. Low end extension is better in my opinion, but that may just be the low end swamp of the M50x making it hard to really hear. Soundstage is better on the M40x too, though neither are particularly wide.

 

Both have god-awful stock pads. Swap them with HM5 pleather. Velours make the highs even worse on the M50x. Didn't try them with M40x as they weren't available at the time. The pads widen the sound-stage to a reasonable level too.

 

 
 

The M40X are somewhat bright (high treble). This results in hearing fatigue after long period of time but using an equalizer will fix the issue 


AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wired): LG V30+ --> Audio-Technica CKR70, Ostry KC06A

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ToanZodiac said:

The M40X are somewhat bright 

no, not at all. I have a feeling that you have never even tried bright sounding headphones, since you make such a claim. If you say they have high treble, then what do you say about the m50x? Extreme treble? The m40x has a small bass bump and a small treble bump. Nothing about their sound signature points in the direction of bright. The M40x have a more V shaped signature, just not as much as the M50x.

just to be sure here, the m50x are not neutral in any way.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

no, not at all. I have a feeling that you have never even tried bright sounding headphones, since you make such a claim. If you say they have high treble, then what do you say about the m50x? Extreme treble? The m40x has a small bass bump and a small treble bump. Nothing about their sound signature points in the direction of bright. The M40x have a more V shaped signature, just not as much as the M50x.

just to be sure here, the m50x are not neutral in any way.

First, yes I have never tried any bright headphones. Second, I don't own the M50X so I don't have anything to say about it. Third, I do own the M40X and found it to be bright for my ears but I fixed it with the equalizer by just slightly decreased the treble.


AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wired): LG V30+ --> Audio-Technica CKR70, Ostry KC06A

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ToanZodiac said:

First, yes I have never tried any bright headphones. Second, I don't own the M50X so I don't have anything to say about it. Third, I do own the M40X and found it to be bright for my ears but I fixed it with the equalizer by just slightly decreased the treble.

then I suspect that you have decreased hearing in the bass department or you are used to very bassy headphones, because they have a V-shaped sound signature.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

then I suspect that you have decreased hearing in the bass department or you are used to very bassy headphones, because they have a V-shaped sound signature.

You can check my signature for the list of headphones I own and I agree that I might be used to bassy headphones not neutral headphones like the M40X


AUDIO:

- Desktop: Sennheiser GSX 1000 --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Nintendo Switch: LG 29UM68-P --> Schiit Loki --> Mackie HM4 --> Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X, Sennheiser CX 5.00, Harman Kardon Soundsticks III

- Portable (Wired): LG V30+ --> Audio-Technica CKR70, Ostry KC06A

- Portable (Wireless): Samsung Galaxy S10+ --> Sennheiser PXC 550, Sony WF-1000XM3, Samsung Buds

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ToanZodiac said:

You can check my signature for the list of headphones I own and I agree that I might be used to bassy headphones not neutral headphones like the M40X

the M40x are not neutral either, the sennheiser HD 600 and AKG K612 are neutral, the K612 are a tiny tiny bit on the bright side. Yeah I can see that you basically only own headphones and headsets with a bigger focus in the bass area. So I can understand to some degree that you find them bright or neutral.

 


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×