a new type of shilling - game developer locks content to specific Intel i7 CPUs [updated]

Great... just freaking great. Now they've given NVidia the bright idea to lock AMD out of NVidia sponsored games.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

10 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Great... just freaking great. Now they've given NVidia the bright idea to lock AMD out of NVidia sponsored games.

Pretty sure that won't happen.

Depending on who you ask, they're already doing it.

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

the point is I can play these modes, but I if I bought the game I would refund it anyway. That's a load of shit. 

Then minimum hardware requirements are shit. Oh wait...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, tlink said:

eh as long as everyone gets them eventually than i don't see anything wrong, what would be wrong is if intel was on purpose kneecapping amd systems. nvidia has been doing stuff like this for years (not sure about amd), helping the developer implement features etc which then make the game function way better on specific cards.

You buy a car and own license for 2 years. But you can't use 5th and 6th gear until you have license for at least 3 years.

Oh..not a problem, you will just have to wait.

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Then minimum hardware requirements are shit. Oh wait...

sMapnpm.png

25 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hah, that's a pipe dream I think.

Probably not 90, but I see it reaching $70 before the close of the decade. The design wins in the auto industry and huge volume increases in enterprise will carry Intel through the lull in consumerville.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I was going for the more general point, and if those are the minimum VR specs, then that's fine.

This is awful!

Next thing you know, Crysis 4 wont be able to be played unless you have at least Broadwell-E, Skylake-E or Kaby Lake-E in your rig!

Hope this isnt something we should be expecting on the future, because the whole "I7 makes your games get more frames, in every case", is just plain dumb and everyone around me seems to still believe so, even if its a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge I7 .-.

Wouldnt be surprised if Intel Pentium Extreme 965 is still better than a Haswell-Broadwell I3, yet alone Skylake.

Groomlake Authority

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

You buy a car and own license for 2 years. But you can't use 5th and 6th gear until you have license for at least 3 years.

Oh..not a problem, you will just have to wait.

its not really a good comparison, 5th and 6th gear are core functionality of a car, this is just an extra feature. lets say your cruise control won't work for 6 months but a different model in the same lineup already has it, thats what this is.

And watch it fail miserably because people refuse to play it over this.

he said hopefully

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

i7 master race folks.

Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

What about my i3-2310M??? Why doesn't Intel love me?!?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Even if it's timed exclusivity, this is despicable. I dont give a fuck about much money intel gave the developer, who the hell thought locking game modes to a cpu sku was a good idea. Fuck intel, fuck this dev. This only makes me feel better about buying amd stock and I hope zen ruins intel's profit margins and death grip on the cpu market.

And no i'm not an amd fanboy, I'm running a 3770k with a gtx 680 lol.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I have a 6700k, but have zero interest in supporting that dev--I'd rather play low res Pokémon lmao

If there was some sort of exclusive technology built into those modes that required those processors to run, I'd be more understanding. But this is just dumb.

update 2: developers open the game modes to everyone https://steamcommunity.com/games/342180/announcements/detail/289751074098300224

Thank you for all your feedback on the game. We developed the game to be as immersive and engaging as we could. While we love to hear about the things that delight you, we also take to heart the things that we can do better. It’s clear from your feedback many of you are not happy with the previously undisclosed modes being available only on certain higher end PCs. You are most important to us, and we hear your comments. We are unlocking these modes immediately to all players, and we hope you enjoy them. 

We have recommended and still recommend using the Core i7 in order to maintain a constant 90FPS with advanced physics. We also realize that these chips cost money. We created bonus content that was not advertised as a reward for those of you who took us up on our recommendation. 

We wanted you to feel it was worth it, but we also wanted everybody to be able to play these modes eventually. These surprise game modes were meant to be a reward for those players with high-end VR systems who were looking for the most immersive experience possible. 

You are most important to us, and we hear and appreciate your comments. We are unlocking these modes to all players immediately via an automatic update, and we hope you enjoy them. 

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

sMapnpm.png

rip i5 4460

Jeez they try to raise the hardware standards and everyone goes ballistic, sheesh...

Even if I was interested in this game, at least my plans were to buy an i7 6700K or 7700K.
Though I agree with what @theninja35 and @deXxterlab97 said.

Computism is real #HaswellLivesMatter. /s

Sort of ironic considering, I'm planning on getting a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU and my laptop uses an AMD Bristol Ridge CPU.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization