a new type of shilling - game developer locks content to specific Intel i7 CPUs [updated]

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That's what forum is for right? How would LTT/LMG reach out to other people other than uploading a video?

oh, so they're supposed to buy into the game, THEN find out they can't access some of the content because they didn't happen to have sponsored hardware? I have a 5820k and I'd still get a refund for this game if I could in this case. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

In other news, both owners of the i7-5775C rejoiced at the news that someone finally gives a shit about their glorified APU.

But would that be enough for VR though?

Unless 10fps is your thing

Still mad that 4th gen does not get included even though I don't have money to afford a new gpu let alone a new headset

That's what forum is for right? How would LTT/LMG reach out to other people other than uploading a video?

I don't think every Steam user is going to go to the forums for a game that they bought. I don't. Ain't nobody got time for that, and the Steam forums are shit as it is.

thing is, I'm not doing business with LTT/LGM

if I were, the terms of the deal should've been fully disclosed before shaking on it

If you look at the development video they have DEFINITELY been bankrolled by Intel - they name drop Intel i7's and even showcase them during their "how we made this game" video. 

I for one I pleased that we have the chance to play such a high-quality game in VR... regardless of the lock down - I would rather than it now on my i7 rig and then 4 months later on my i3 rig. than have it on neither for another 4 months

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what nVidia is doing with GameWorks is way way way different that this case - GameWorks doesn't lock up content

well it does in a less binary sense, but then permanently. its not completely the same but it definitely is very similar, they give the dev resources to develop extra features which will be optimized for their platform so their platform looks better. i can already predict that this is because of "performance reasons" or something like that. 

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I don't think every Steam user is going to go to the forums for a game that they bought. I don't. Ain't nobody got time for that, and the Steam forums are shit as it is.

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

oh, so they're supposed to buy into the game, THEN find out they can't access some of the content because they didn't happen to have sponsored hardware? I have a 5820k and I'd still get a refund for this game if I could in this case. 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

thing is, I'm not doing business with LTT/LGM

if I were, the terms of the deal should've been fully disclosed before shaking on it

yeah that is true. but in reality. how many gonna get the game or even have a VR headset anyway. that's not an excuse but still there are plenty of other VR games with dev not being shit and cared for people

1 minute ago, Cheddle said:

If you look at the development video they have DEFINITELY been bankrolled by Intel - they name drop Intel i7's and even showcase them during their "how we made this game" video. 

Well it's also obvious in the way they name dropped the processor.

"Intel® Core™ i7"

Nobody does that.

9 hours ago, tlink said:

well it does in a less binary sense, but then permanently. its not completely the same but it definitely is very similar, they give the dev resources to develop extra features which will be optimized for their platform so their platform looks better. i can already predict that this is because of "performance reasons" or something like that. 

shit like HairWorks can be disabled, hell I disable it even if I have a GTX card - in no form does it limit the customer access to content

3 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The 5820k allows the additional modes. Ive played single player horde mode.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

yeah that is true. but in reality. how many gonna get the game or even have a VR headset anyway. that's not an excuse but still there are plenty of other VR games with dev not being shit and cared for people

I still think consumer protection laws needs to be a thing more often in situations like this, especially in the gaming sector with all of this false advertising bullshat going on with No Man's Sky and now things like this where an entire portion of a game is locked to a specific processor type for no reason other than to lock it down.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

it's a morality thing. I don't expect people that have vr ready build to have AMD by mass. 4th gen intel possibly, yea. But it's so scummy. I doubt ubisoft would even do this shit. 

At first I would think "why would they limit their already limited audience" then I realized they gave up on the idea of success in sales, they got their ROI from intel directly, probably more than they would have every got from game sales. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

it's a morality thing. I don't expect people that have vr ready build to have AMD by mass. 4th gen intel possibly, yea. But it's so scummy. I doubt ubisoft would even do this shit. 

At first I would think "why would they limit their already limited audience" then I realized they gave up on the idea of success in sales, they got their ROI from intel directly, probably more than they would have every got from game sales. 

yeah there are quite a lot of people still have i7 4790 or i7 4790k somewhere

2 minutes ago, Cheddle said:

The 5820k allows the additional modes. Ive played single player horde mode.

the point is I can play these modes, but I if I bought the game I would refund it anyway. That's a load of shit. 

muh specs 

All parts black

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I still think consumer protection laws needs to be a thing more often in situations like this, especially in the gaming sector with all of this false advertising bullshat going on with No Man's Sky and now things like this where an entire portion of a game is locked to a specific processor type for no reason other than to lock it down.

well Steam offers a refund. just like they did with NMS

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

well Steam offers a refund. just like they did with NMS

Under specific criteria. Gotta have less than two hours of playtime and within two weeks of purchase.

They didn't offer a refund for NMS outside of their normal ruling.

So. Ive got. 9590, 4970k, 6700k, 5820k builds so that i can lan party with friends.  

And they want to tell me i cant do that because its locked to specific processors?? 

Slipery slope

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

7 minutes ago, Cheddle said:

I for one I pleased that we have the chance to play such a high-quality game in VR... regardless of the lock down - I would rather than it now on my i7 rig and then 4 months later on my i3 rig. than have it on neither for another 4 months

Ugh. i feel icky having av Intel CPU. I really wish Zen was out when I did this build. Intel has been getting on my nerves for other reasons, but I don't think anyone could have expected douchebaggery of this level.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

So. Ive got. 9590, 4970k, 6700k, 5820k builds so tgat i can lan party with friends.  

And they want to tell me i cant do that because ots locked to specifuc processors?? 

Slipery slope

I understand having two PCs with one being for LAN, but four?

Also, are you drunk? Your typing looks hilarious.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Remember that time Microsoft made a deal with Eidos and said "lol, don't give those Sony plebs your new Tomb Raider game for a year"?

Yeah, but those are console gamers. They don't count.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I just enjoy making pcs. They are all made from used parts. 

And yeah i typed way too fast lol. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That's common. Look at my specs. That's just my office, I have other PCS in around my house. 

muh specs 

All parts black

So, discrimination as marketing. This is along the same lines as restricting game features to certain skin-colours.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

From an optimization perspective I can sort of understand it if they've got it optimized for those cpus first then I guess it's better if they share their progress with their users sooner rather than wait around until they have it working on all systems. That said this doesn't appear to be based on optimization.