a new type of shilling - game developer locks content to specific Intel i7 CPUs [updated]

26 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

they can go fuck themselves 

it's not only locked to intel customers, but intel's "best" customers

"fuck our customers that only bought an i5. You can wait 4 months, peasants"

Or the customers that are still on Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, etc. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The only problem I have with this that it wasn't known in advance. It's fine with me that's it's a time exclusive. I would also like how they just optimized it to i7s from 5th generation and up.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

Lmfao, but why though? 

I'm thinking that Intel offered them a deal, and they snatched it up. Intel might be just trying to encourage sales of the more expensive and newer Core i7 CPUs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

5 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

From an optimization perspective I can sort of understand it if they've got it optimized for those cpus first then I guess it's better if they share their progress with their users sooner rather than wait around until they have it working on all systems. That said this doesn't appear to be based on optimization.

no they didn't

there's nothing wrong with a 4790K compared with Skylake i7

and keep in mind, it means all Skylakes - from the 2 core 4 threads mobile ones (i7-6500U) to the 6700K

5 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm thinking that Intel offered them a deal, and they snatched it up. Intel might be just trying to encourage sales of the more expensive and newer Core i7 CPUs.

It's certainly because they're being sponsored to have this restriction. Nobody would add a random gimmick that has nothing to do with their product, and which limits their product's appeal, and which is a marketing tactic for another business' product - unless they were receiving compensation for doing such.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It's certainly because they're being sponsored to have this restriction. Nobody would add a random gimmick that has nothing to do with their product, and which limits their product's appeal, and which is a marketing tactic for another business' product - unless they were receiving compensation for doing such.

But is this indicating Intel's loss in sales on the CPU side?

Monopoly-Man.jpg

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

But is this indicating Intel's loss in sales on the CPU side?

It indicates that Intel is wanting more profit than their current products at their price-points are worthy of. Intel has exploited the lack of CPU competition for many years by creating low generational improvements, while increasing new-gen CPU costs for performance that can easily be had from previous-gen CPUs. Intel appears to me to want money without earning it. Now it's into playing tricks and using coercion to get people to spend money on products that aren't offering particular benefit.

If Intel wants better CPU sales, then they need to make something that offers more than existing products. And if Intel can't do that, then there's no reason why they should be receiving people's money. There are thousands of people walking around that I could give money to, but don't, because there isn't a reason for it. Intel is in the position of being one of those people, and, rather than understanding that that is the proper place for what they're doing, is resorting to manipulation to get their hands on money they haven't earned. That's no different than being a con-artists, and stealing money from people based on false premises.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

It indicates that Intel is wanting more profit than their current products at their price-points are worthy of. Intel has exploited the lack of CPU competition for many years by creating low generational improvements, while increasing new-gen CPU costs for performance that can easily be had from previous-gen CPUs. Intel appears to me to want money without earning it. Now it's into playing tricks and using coercion to get people to spend money on products that aren't offering particular benefit.

Maybe they're worried about Zen.

Time to buy up AMD stock

I edited in another paragraph to my above post.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Time to buy up AMD stock

Maybe. Hopefully Zen is able to finally deliver some competition.

18 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I see. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Time to buy up AMD stock

shoulda done that months ago

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

shoulda done that months ago

Didn't have a job when their stock was at bubblegum prices.

Just now, LtRavens said:

I see. 

If that's the entire point of this deal with a developer, they might get a small increase in sales for people who want the latest and greatest without waiting, but largely, it's going to fail. 

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If that's the entire point of this deal with a developer, they might get a small increase in sales for people who want the latest and greatest without waiting, but largely, it's going to fail. 

I really see things like this, when intel and to some degree nvidia do it, is the enthusiast marketing team looking for new shit to do and look good to managers when they are already winning by like huge margins. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Didn't have a job when their stock was at bubblegum prices.

As I said, you only need one kidney. Could've sold the other and made enough to buy a kidney back by now.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

As I said, you only need one kidney. Could've sold the other and made enough to buy a kidney back by now.

True.

Hopefully their stock will skyrocket into the $90s like it did in 2000.

Hasswell Xeon here, they don't even care about us LOL

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

It means intel is actually worried about Zen. I actually think it's positive if they're this fucking desperate to move i7s before Zen arrives.

-------

Current Rig

-------

update: someone took it to the modding scene to unlock the previous locked modes

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

update: someone took it to the modding scene to unlock the previous locked modes

Oh shit, this means DMCA takedown is coming because fuck it: if intel is gonna be retarded about it they might as well be full fucking, mouth breathing, water headed, inbred scum retarded and not just a little bit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hmmmm... just bought this.... Luckily my laptop has a Skylake i7. But still... my i7 4790k would have no problems running this better than my i7 6700hq.

My Gaming Rig (Build November 2014):

CPU: i7-4790K | CPU Cooler: H110 | Motherboard: MSI Z97s SLI Plus | RAM: Vengeance DDR3 1886 MHz 2 x 4GB |
GPU: GTX 970 G1 Gaming | SSD: 2 x 840 EVO 250GB and 2 x 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | PSU: HX750 | Case: Fractal Design XL R2 |

7 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

True.

Hopefully their stock will skyrocket into the $90s like it did in 2000.

Hah, that's a pipe dream I think.

There was a game that will only work on. Kaby lake core i7, was it this one?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Can't wait to see the first full game release that requires processors not yet available. I bet it'll sell really well. Fan fucking tastic. 

I bet it will be made by Capcom and it will  be preloaded months before it can even work regardless, in keeping with their in disc DLC tradition of course.

-------

Current Rig

-------