Computer Running Hotter After BIOS Update

MyNameIzJordan

I have a Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170x Motherboard and just recently updated to BIOS version F20 from F5. Ever since then my computer has been running way hotter than usual and way louder. Before I was getting low to mid 20 degrees on my cpu, sometimes even less, now I'm getting low 30s to high 30s. If anyone knows if there is a reason for this or a fix that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Specs -
CPU: i7 6700k
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterforce
PSU: Cooler Master V650
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb LPX
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper D92

It could possibly be that the new bios changes the fan curves. Or maybe you had a custom fan curve that got defaulted when you updated the bios. 

10 minutes ago, CaptainGunny said:

It could possibly be that the new bios changes the fan curves. Or maybe you had a custom fan curve that got defaulted when you updated the bios. 

I didn't touch the fan curves or anything before. I left everything pretty much stock. Only changed the RAM XMP

There only things that the bios could change are the voltages and fan speeds. Make sure all voltages are at stock and try out the fan curve presets. See what happens. Also check c states. 20c is achieved usually through low c states. So if all c states are enabled...then at idle your cpu may be clocked at 800mhz and a corresponding much lower vcore voltage. However if your cpu is idling at 3.8 GHz and it's corresponding voltage then idle temps could be higher. 

Or I could be wrong and the new bios mucked it up. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

Is it summer or winter where you live?

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

Yes the bios causes too much voltage to be applied to skylake processors. You will need to use an offset voltage to compensate for this if you cannot go back to a previous bios. Set the vcore to 'Normal' and set the offset voltage to a negative setting. Start at -0.05v and reboot back into the bios to check the voltage. Decrease the offset until it's back to what it should be.

2 hours ago, uklio said:

Yes the bios causes too much voltage to be applied to skylake processors. You will need to use an offset voltage to compensate for this if you cannot go back to a previous bios. Set the vcore to 'Normal' and set the offset voltage to a negative setting. Start at -0.05v and reboot back into the bios to check the voltage. Decrease the offset until it's back to what it should be.

Well there you go...try this. uklio...are you speaking from experience?

I personally have never owned a skylake processor.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, VID at 4GHz is set by Intel specific for your chip, it may not be the same for my 6700k. Normal range will be between 1.2v and 1.344v depending on how lucky you are. Programs such as HWmonitor will display VID. I'm guessing you aren't overclocking and just want to have normal Vcore as you had in F5, if so what made you update your bios in the first place?

You can either go back to the previous bios using a special method, or reduce your Vcore using a negative offset until it is at the previous level.