(Solved)Need help with my switch.

XxCJDJxX
Go to solution Solved by paddy-stone,
8 minutes ago, XxCJDJxX said:

So two months ago a bought a Netgear Switch GS105E-200UKS (link to switch) from amazon, ever since I've had it I have had random drop outs of connection, and every now and then I have to restart it because I I don't get more than 1 Mbps of download or upload, which I a noticeable difference when I normally have 200 Mbps Down and 12 Mbps up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I really doubt this is normal, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cameron.   

I wouldn't have gone with a managed switch if I were you, they're not really useful unless you know what you're doing and waht config you want for each port etc.

If possible I would send it back and get an unmanaged switch.

So two months ago a bought a Netgear Switch GS105E-200UKS (link to switch) from amazon, ever since I've had it I have had random drop outs of connection, and every now and then I have to restart it because I I don't get more than 1 Mbps of download or upload, which I a noticeable difference when I normally have 200 Mbps Down and 12 Mbps up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I really doubt this is normal, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cameron.   

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, bring others along."

My Rig: | CPUIntel Core i5-8700K 4.8GHz | MotherboardMSI Z370 SLI PLUS   | RAMCorsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB 2133 | GPUEVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC I | CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case | StorageCrucial MX300 756GB SSD | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM x3 | PSUCorsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Modular |  DisplayAOC i2769Vm 60Hz 27" x 2 Acer 27" H277HU 2K | CPU CoolingCorsair H110i Liquid Cooler | KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB | MouseCorsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB | Sound: Corsair Void Yellow WIFI | OS: Windows 10 Professional

8 minutes ago, XxCJDJxX said:

Thanks, Cameron.   

I wouldn't have gone with a managed switch if I were you, they're not really useful unless you know what you're doing and waht config you want for each port etc.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

3 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

So what about this switch? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000E5SEQ/ref=twister_B00T4DK4LE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 

My Rig: | CPUIntel Core i5-8700K 4.8GHz | MotherboardMSI Z370 SLI PLUS   | RAMCorsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB 2133 | GPUEVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB SC I | CasePhanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case | StorageCrucial MX300 756GB SSD | Crucial MX100 256GB SSD | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM x3 | PSUCorsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Modular |  DisplayAOC i2769Vm 60Hz 27" x 2 Acer 27" H277HU 2K | CPU CoolingCorsair H110i Liquid Cooler | KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB | MouseCorsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB | Sound: Corsair Void Yellow WIFI | OS: Windows 10 Professional

Do a sanity check and make sure that in no way could you be causing a loop - make sure that none of your computers have Internet Connection Sharing turned on, and that they don't have a bridge between wired and wireless. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, XxCJDJxX said:

I'd personally go with an 8 port, I recently got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01132G822/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have had no problems and it's cheaper than the 5 port netgear one.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Do a sanity check and make sure that in no way could you be causing a loop - make sure that none of your computers have Internet Connection Sharing turned on, and that they don't have a bridge between wired and wireless. 

Will try that. if that does not work then i will try and return it.

37 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

I'd personally go with an 8 port, I recently got this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01132G822/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have had no problems and it's cheaper than the 5 port netgear one.

yeah just got a refund, I'm gonna order this when the money is back in my account thanks for the help

2 hours ago, XxCJDJxX said:

yeah just got a refund, I'm gonna order this when the money is back in my account thanks for the help

No problem. It should just be a matter of plug and play when you get the new switch, have had hardly any problems with any unmanagaged switches I have had... any time I've gotten a new one is because I needed the extra capacity, hence the suggestion you go straight to an 8 port one, you will most likely need the ports at some time and for the price it's a steal :)

I've had the one I linked you to for approx 3 months or so now, haven't even needed to reboot it in that time. If you do have a problem with your network at any time, I would first advise a reboot of the router before taking a look at switches... just a free piece of advice. If you have homeplugs in the setup at all, they are even more likely to be the culprit, luckily I bought a really decent set this time round and haven't had any problems whatsoever now since I did my room refresh and re-jigging of all the equipment etc. Fingers crossed for you that once you get your new swtich it'll go smoothly for you.

Hopefully it won't happen, but if you do have further problems post back and we'll try something else, good luck.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

19 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

No problem. It should just be a matter of plug and play when you get the new switch, have had hardly any problems with any unmanagaged switches I have had... any time I've gotten a new one is because I needed the extra capacity, hence the suggestion you go straight to an 8 port one, you will most likely need the ports at some time and for the price it's a steal :)

I've had the one I linked you to for approx 3 months or so now, haven't even needed to reboot it in that time. If you do have a problem with your network at any time, I would first advise a reboot of the router before taking a look at switches... just a free piece of advice. If you have homeplugs in the setup at all, they are even more likely to be the culprit, luckily I bought a really decent set this time round and haven't had any problems whatsoever now since I did my room refresh and re-jigging of all the equipment etc. Fingers crossed for you that once you get your new swtich it'll go smoothly for you.

Hopefully it won't happen, but if you do have further problems post back and we'll try something else, good luck.

I tried homeplugs a while back but I got crap speeds from them, so I sent them back to amazon. I just ordered the  TP-Link Switch hopefully all goes well, if it doesn't then I will let you know. Thanks for all the help it's much appreciated