Samsung S8 will NOT have a HeadPhone Jack

goodtofufriday
2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It'll also be graphed to your body.

I don't think getting rid of an analog port is due to thinness. Why don't new motherboards come with IDE or PETA? Why no floppy support on your PSU? They cannot keep supporting legacy. Other technologies will be more reliable and more efficient. Better sound, better support, and longer future life.

I agree that we need to switch to USB-C eventually.  I wish Apple would also use USB-C, then everything would be universal for everything.  Honestly, we should just have two USB-C ports on each phone(or lightning for Apple).  Bluetooth will never be as good as good old fashioned wired headphones, which is another reason we need two USB-C ports on each phone.  I was going to get the iPhone 7 until I heard there was no headphone jack.  Had there been two lightning ports on it, I would've gotten it.  

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, if anything is like current trends, you will most likely get a headphone with your new phone, just like every other one.

And yes, you and others may get upset, but what's the big deal? You buy an Anna dapper if you want. But why keep trying to digitize music and movies when everyone listens to them in 1960s analog? New interface is going to happen eventually. This helps with forcing consumers to upgrade. Yes, get upset now, but in 2 years or less, you'll forget this.

How mad were you when they phased out cassette or VHS? Or would you rather VGA and 800x600 resolution instead of 4k? We have to get out of the medieval times eventually (Considering ancient days were early 1990s).

The thing is though, all those things you listed were an update in quality,  analog headphones aren't inferior to Bluetooth ones.  If this was a "replacement" and "getting with the times"  it should be an upgrade over the current solution, but it's not. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I use an USB Audio solution, so I don't really give a shit if they remove the 3.5mm jack, as long as there is a USB C to microUSB adapter

But many people will be pissed, afaik there are no USB-C headphones, and "real" lightning headphones for apple are expensive. So it's probably a way to milk more money from us

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

12 hours ago, zMeul said:

bluetooth is still a piece of trash for audio quality

also batteries 

Agreed - I'm having shocking experiences with it at the moment in my new Volkswagen. There's a noticeable difference between Bluetooth and 3.5mm and an even greater jump in quality if I switch to CarPlay via lightning.

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Not really. If you compare similar quality wired and wireless headphones, they come out to be about the same. To adhere to a silly notion of a jack making things better is exactly how tech won't develop.

5 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, if anything is like current trends, you will most likely get a headphone with your new phone, just like every other one.

And yes, you and others may get upset, but what's the big deal? You buy an Anna dapper if you want. But why keep trying to digitize music and movies when everyone listens to them in 1960s analog? New interface is going to happen eventually. This helps with forcing consumers to upgrade. Yes, get upset now, but in 2 years or less, you'll forget this.

How mad were you when they phased out cassette or VHS? Or would you rather VGA and 800x600 resolution instead of 4k? We have to get out of the medieval times eventually (Considering ancient days were early 1990s).

Wasn't around when that shit happened, Im a 2002 girl, not like, 1900's, But I'd be pretty upset if I had to sit with a 800x600 30hz monitor instead of something like my 1440p 165 hz monitor.. but if they were CRT's werent those like 90hz?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Wasn't around when that shit happened, Im a 2002 girl, not like, 1900's, But I'd be pretty upset if I had to sit with a 800x600 30hz monitor instead of something like my 1440p 165 hz monitor.. but if they were CRT's werent those like 90hz?

Those were mostly 60 Hz as well. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

The ability to comprehend google properly is a skill of its own as well.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

16 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Source: http://www.sammobile.com/2016/12/06/exclusive-galaxy-s8-is-not-going-to-feature-a-3-5mm-headphone-jack/

montenegro-018.jpg

Good thing I've never liked samsung phones to begin with.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Samsung devotes though good luck with that. I just hope Sony and HTC wont follow suite (i doubt they will).

Samesung 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The ability to comprehend google properly is a skill of its own as well.

? Not sure I follow. I'm just talking from experience since I was around CRT monitors time. I still have my 2 old Samsung and 1 LG CRT monitor in the attic at my uncles place as well. 

The Type-C push is what's needed. Apple's implementation of Lightning based headphones isn't quite preferred. However it's most certainly not as big of an issue as people make it out to be. I primarily use my HD800s but I also made a custom pair of K7XXs which function over bluetooth, which work fairly well. Hacky solution but cost effective and sounds fairly good.

7F96FD09-E66C-44A6-A33D-B88482E5BE4A.JPG

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

2 hours ago, MarieKirya said:

The Type-C push is what's needed.

Why does it need to happen and why can't both standards coexist even if USB type C is better?

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Why does it need to happen and why can't both standards coexist even if USB type C is better?

It allows manufacturers to become complacent. Until you take it away, the general consumer and manufacturers will keep using it. You'll find examples of this consistently through tech history. The headphone jack is a sore subject since we've had it for sooooo long. 

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

1 minute ago, MarieKirya said:

It allows manufacturers to become complacent. Until you take it away, the general consumer and manufacturers will keep using it. You'll find examples of this consistently through tech history. The headphone jack is a sore subject since we've had it for sooooo long. 

That did not answer my first question, why do we need to replace the headphone jack with USB type C?

18 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Samsung, I will fucking stab you. I bought an s7 recently because I WANTED A HEADPHONE JACK. That was my only reason to buy the s7 instead of the ip7 now I have no reason to buy either.

S7 is great phone for upcoming 2-3 years, nobody says u have to have new phone every year unless you are on 12month contracts and getting new contract (sim only) is against everything u bieleve :D

Anyway, I dont think bluetooth earphones are common enough (standard status) for all smartphones to ditch jacks.  

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

samsung is bigg succ

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

20 hours ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Well, I guess I am the only one waiting for 2017 to see what Nokia has to offer... \(._.)/

It won't have an headphone jack for another reason :P

14 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

-snip-

Nokia will implement a 10mm banana jack instead xD.

Groomlake Authority

1 hour ago, Thony said:

-snip-

2 to 3 years? Pfft, this thing wont last me more than 1 for sure xD (based on how previous models went, from the very same brand...).

Its not the Iphone of my wishlist tough :/. Now everyone is waving farewell to one of the most iconic ports in the industry, and those rocking Shures 1000€ earphones using that connector, must be feeling really good right now...

Groomlake Authority

22 hours ago, Aytex said:

No they think "gotta get the newest apple product cause my contract is going to let me upgrade nether less"

There are always gonna be people like this in the market. Always. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

9 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Agreed - I'm having shocking experiences with it at the moment in my new Volkswagen. There's a noticeable difference between Bluetooth and 3.5mm and an even greater jump in quality if I switch to CarPlay via lightning.

You know, even with your explanation it's confusing to differentiate which one you're quoting since it's in the middle. 

Also what BT earphones are you talking about? 

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

That did not answer my first question, why do we need to replace the headphone jack with USB type C?

Preferably so headphone manufacturers create a complete package for users. The end user can be recommended headphones without being told "But you'll need a new DAC/AMP". The headphones will be engineered as a full package for the end user.

4 hours ago, Thony said:

S7 is great phone for upcoming 2-3 years, nobody says u have to have new phone every year unless you are on 12month contracts and getting new contract (sim only) is against everything u bieleve :D

Anyway, I dont think bluetooth earphones are common enough (standard status) for all smartphones to ditch jacks.  

Most of them are over priced and bad, unless you pay like top dollar, but for earbuds they battery life isn't great either. They tech imo isn't as good as it should be to ditch the jack yet, but it's a hell of a way to push them into researching it.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

I see your point, and it's valid. 

the other side is that if no-one makes the move, there will never be any USB-C headphones because there will never be a need. 

if there is no need of usb-c headphone then it means 3.5mm jack does not deserve to be replaced. only if usb-c provide higher quality/cheaper cost, then i would say ditching 3.5mm is viable.

regarding phone design, saving space is total bullshit excuse. As a product provider, you dont force customer to fit your need, you fit whatever customer want. i feel like apple and samsung is just bullying us since they are the top two smartphone brand and since they have other part of smartphone better than others, they can just force other minor flaws to their customers. you dont like we removing 3.5mm? well 'fk you', if you want other part of the phone perform to a high standard, this is the flaw you have to swallow.