Samsung S8 will NOT have a HeadPhone Jack

goodtofufriday

Guess I might not upgrade from my S7 to an S8. 

One of my brothers has an LG5 or something like that. Probably won't upgrade for a good year or two atleast so IDK who I will upgrade to next.

6 hours ago, zMeul said:

bluetooth is still a piece of trash for audio quality

also batteries 

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

One. Bluetooth has come a long way since its inception millenia ago.

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fucking this, times like a million. No one sees this, and it irritates me. Do I personally prefer 3.5mm jacks over Bluetooth? Yeah, Bluetooth has its fair share of issues. But not only is Bluetooth viable, in terms of audio quality, it's close to fucking lossless now. For the average consumer, if Samsung plays their cards right, I don't really see a downside to this.

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Not really. If you compare similar quality wired and wireless headphones, they come out to be about the same. To adhere to a silly notion of a jack making things better is exactly how tech won't develop.

I really love my audio, I've tried bluetooth audio and while it isn't bad, it certainly isn't a pair of proper IEM, or headphones.  I love my HD800's and recently got a pair of modded T50RP as a loaner pair from the guy that mods them, sometimes I take my headphones with me places in the car, and I certainly can't use either of those as blue-tooth, nor would I want to lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

50 minutes ago, JonU said:

Don't know why an audiophile would spend money on a quality pair of headphones just to plug them into a phone. While the headphones are important, relying on the DAC/amp in your phone to do a good enough job to make those headphones do what they can do is not the smartest thing to do. Why else do you think external DACs and Amps are so widely used by audiophiles?

If I'm listening to music on my phone, give me the cheapest ear buds that get the job done. I've got better ways to reproduce the music than using my phone and it's built in 3.5mm jack.

Only time I use my phone with my hd800's is in the car for really long trips, but that only happens about 1-2 times a year, do I like using them off my phone? eh it's OK, but it's only like 60% of their full potential really.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

49 minutes ago, JonU said:

Don't know why an audiophile would spend money on a quality pair of headphones just to plug them into a phone. While the headphones are important, relying on the DAC/amp in your phone to do a good enough job to make those headphones do what they can do is not the smartest thing to do. Why else do you think external DACs and Amps are so widely used by audiophiles?

If I'm listening to music on my phone, give me the cheapest ear buds that get the job done. I've got better ways to reproduce the music than using my phone and it's built in 3.5mm jack.

Sure most of the time i use my headphones not on my phone, but if I do, the quality is somewhat decent. The thing is, DAC/amps are getting cheaper , so if you have good headphones ( high end ones stay high end for a huge amount of time. My dad still got his super expensive AKG from around 41 years ago and they still sound amazing), chances are that the sound will be better than if you buy a new smartphone. 

With bluetooth they will be consistent, but also they can be obsolete after a relativly short term, because the DAC will stay the same.

Do companies not take feedback on there product? And whats with Samsung copying apple's stupidity? Usually its apple copying Samsung's new features

6 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

But not only is Bluetooth viable, in terms of audio quality, it's close to fucking lossless now.

Hey there time traveler! What year are you from? Could you give me next week's lottery numbers so I can win the jackpot? It's December 7, 2016 right now, in case you're wondering.

The default behavior for A2DP enabled Bluetooth devices is still to fall back on the SBC codec, which is a terrible old codec based on MP2 from 1993. Not only that, if you do end up running SBC you will also take a hit to audio quality because you are probably doing lossy-to-lossy conversion.

Bluetooth is not suitable for audio. Audio was an afterthought that they created with duct-tape and the standard has not changed codec support since 2003 when it was first released.

Other than the (sadly) rare cases where you happen to listen to AAC at a certain bit rate, and both your Bluetooth sender and receiver supports that optional part of the standard (or something like AptX which is proprietary), it will be like listening to digital audio from 1993.

In order for Bluetooth to replace 3.5mm (for phones) I think we will need:

1) A new, open standard for lossless digital audio which all new Bluetooth devices has to support.

2) Far better batteries. I don't want to have to charge my headphones every single day, since I will inevitably forget and then get pissed when they stop working.

3) Good Bluetooth earphones and headphones on the market, and we need it in all price brackets. I don't mean good in "wow I am surprised that these 20 dollar earphones work at all", I mean "these actually sound as good as the best pair of wired earphones you can get for this price". Right now, that simply isn't the case because the Bluetooth component, batteries, antennas, codec licenses and so on makes Bluetooth audio far more expensive than 3.5mm headphones.

Maybe something else that I haven't thought of, but those three are the big ones.

That's sealed it. I am simply not buying a galaxy s8 for my next phone no matter how good everything else is.

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

Really, Samsung?

Are You Fucking Kidding Me.png

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I can exclusively confirm that while Samsung indeed removes the 3.5mm jack on the S8, they will integrate a 6.35mm Plug to enable a real hifi experience for everyone! 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You dumb motherfuckers have no business sense.

OR you can have both USB type-C and a headphone jack so everyone has the ability to use the phone fully. Want to get USB C headphones? They're available. Still using a 3.5mm jack? Things still work. Jumping straight to a "standard" when you have no products available to use it is idiotic.

I see your point, and it's valid. 

the other side is that if no-one makes the move, there will never be any USB-C headphones because there will never be a need. 

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

It doesn't matter who did it first. The one who 'popularized' it was Apple and its super obvious Samsung is following suit just as they did with the phone design.

The audiophiles you speak of must have never left the house. Yes, external dac/amp, but on USB type C? You're not fooling me. 

Would be okay if you could embed DAC/AMP into the headphone (making headphones more expensive, but the manufacturer can tailor the sound to the headphone with more consistent results across devices) and feed digital to the headphone over USB-C, but if you're going down that path you might as well just implement Bluetooth Aptx, or Bluetooth 5.0 (not released just yet). Yes I am well aware that bandwidth and compression becomes a discussion point when using Bluetooth. 

9 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I can exclusively confirm that while Samsung indeed removes the 3.5mm jack on the S8, they will integrate a 6.35mm Plug to enable a real hifi experience for everyone! 

that would be absolutely amazeballz

imagine the battery in that thing

This is why we need to stop fetishizing phone thinness.  It's not that big of a deal!  Key things like a headphone jack are removed when you make thinness a priority.  Mark my words, by the S12, it will have no ports.

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

At least sony hasnt let me down. Type c and headphones jack. 

Try searching up "Z3 compact headphone jack not working" ;) 

And yes, I own a Z3C as my daily driver which had to be sent in 8 months ago as it's headphone jack wouldn't work...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Watch the phone be just as thin as their previous one. This mobile race is getting stupid.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 hour ago, Lays said:

I really love my audio, I've tried bluetooth audio and while it isn't bad, it certainly isn't a pair of proper IEM, or headphones.  I love my HD800's and recently got a pair of modded T50RP as a loaner pair from the guy that mods them, sometimes I take my headphones with me places in the car, and I certainly can't use either of those as blue-tooth, nor would I want to lol

As I said, I personally would prefer wired headphones, but it's not like Bluetooth is the shitty thing it was about a decade ago. That's what made me disappointed, that most people kinda thought that.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I scrolled through the thread and was disappoint no-one said the obvious!

It seems as if the idea of an S8 3.5mm jack is going up in flames.

(Naah the horse is still alive and well)

Be sure to squeeze the battery in that new thin phone. The more you do it, the sooner Samsung mobile can just die 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Samsung, I will fucking stab you. I bought an s7 recently because I WANTED A HEADPHONE JACK. That was my only reason to buy the s7 instead of the ip7 now I have no reason to buy either.

Well, if anything is like current trends, you will most likely get a headphone with your new phone, just like every other one.

And yes, you and others may get upset, but what's the big deal? You buy an Anna dapper if you want. But why keep trying to digitize music and movies when everyone listens to them in 1960s analog? New interface is going to happen eventually. This helps with forcing consumers to upgrade. Yes, get upset now, but in 2 years or less, you'll forget this.

How mad were you when they phased out cassette or VHS? Or would you rather VGA and 800x600 resolution instead of 4k? We have to get out of the medieval times eventually (Considering ancient days were early 1990s).

1 hour ago, lilbman said:

This is why we need to stop fetishizing phone thinness.  It's not that big of a deal!  Key things like a headphone jack are removed when you make thinness a priority.  Mark my words, by the S12, it will have no ports.

It'll also be graphed to your body.

I don't think getting rid of an analog port is due to thinness. Why don't new motherboards come with IDE or PETA? Why no floppy support on your PSU? They cannot keep supporting legacy. Other technologies will be more reliable and more efficient. Better sound, better support, and longer future life.

4 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Well, if anything is like current trends, you will most likely get a headphone with your new phone, just like every other one.

And yes, you and others may get upset, but what's the big deal? You buy an Anna dapper if you want. But why keep trying to digitize music and movies when everyone listens to them in 1960s analog? New interface is going to happen eventually. This helps with forcing consumers to upgrade. Yes, get upset now, but in 2 years or less, you'll forget this.

How mad were you when they phased out cassette or VHS? Or would you rather VGA and 800x600 resolution instead of 4k? We have to get out of the medieval times eventually (Considering ancient days were early 1990s).

I agree. However, there's currently no advantage to it like tgere was with dvd. 

In fact we lose functionality and compatibility.  

You could use a dvd player on any tv of the time without adaptera. Cant use usb c headphones without adapters. Cant charge and listen without adapters. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

"Wants to make it thinner" Seems to have worked out perfectly for the Note7.  :^) 

17 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Read this

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Acoustics-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers/dp/0240520092/ref=sr_1_1?

http://www.amazon.com/Designing-Building-Testing-Speaker-Projects/dp/007069429X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370991990&sr=1-3&keywords=david+B.+Weems

s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370992087&sr=1-1&keywords=Floyd+Toole

http://www.amazon.com/Loudspeaker-Design-Cookbook-Vance-Dickason/dp/1882580478/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370992168&sr=1-1&keywords=loudspeaker+design+cookbook

Understand the content

Think of what you wrote in this thread when you're done with them

Fix the post

Punch yourself in the face to hide your shame

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, alizaidi2000 said:

Do companies not take feedback on there product? And whats with Samsung copying apple's stupidity? Usually its apple copying Samsung's new features

You may have missed the Galaxy S, the Galaxy S II, the Galaxy Tab 10.1, S Voice, Samsung Wallet, the S5's fingerprint reader, Samsung Pay, parts of the S6 and S7 designs...