Samsung S8 will NOT have a HeadPhone Jack

goodtofufriday
2 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Only problem is that most PC desktops doesn't come with bluetooth for free. Don

Also, didn't Samsung's phone explode because they did not give room for the battery? Why would they then try to make it thinner?

I never said they did. Most decent laptops have Bluetooth on them, though, and it's not real expensive to even use Bluetooth on a desktop, or a laptop that doesn't have native Bluetooth support.

The problem was that the Note 7 was designed with a critically poor design choice in mind. If the S8 isn't designed like the Note 7 was, it's not worry.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not really. If you compare similar quality wired and wireless headphones, they come out to be about the same. To adhere to a silly notion of a jack making things better is exactly how tech won't develop.

you keep forgetting or outright ignoring the fact that all speakers are analogue

putting DACs inside the headphones would limit their range of use; and if better DACs come along after your purchase ... have fun with our purchase

then I will NOT be buying it. lol this is why people bitched so much about the iphone, they knew others would follow suit. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, dragosudeki said:

Only problem is that most PC desktops doesn't come with bluetooth for free.

Most bluetooth dongles cost $5 and are free due to rebates quite often. Bluetooth can also be useful for Dualshock/Xbox controllers, mice, speakers, etc. 

1 minute ago, dragosudeki said:

Also, didn't Samsung's phone explode because they did not give room for the battery? Why would they then try to make it thinner?

I think the battery expanded beyond safe limits which caused pressure to be placed on the battery itself. 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

you keep forgetting or outright ignoring the fact that all speakers are analogue

putting DACs inside the headphones would limit their range of use; and if better DACs come along after your purchase ... have fun with our purchase

You can love wired if you like (I do) but I find it easier to be untethered while going out for a jog or moving around busily when working at the hospital or in the garage. No need for a cable getting caught if it can be avoided.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You can love wired if you like (I do) but I find it easier to be untethered while going out for a jog or moving around busily when working at the hospital or in the garage. No need for a cable getting caught if it can be avoided.

people got along with wired headphones for 100 years; and suddenly they can't be bothered?!

one hundred years

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

people got along with wired headphones for 100 years; and suddenly they can't be bothered?!

We also got along with a pair of legs and, gasp, walking.

We should be pushing for better wireless technology since the ability to use 3.5mm will be there via adapters.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

Cause they are the blind iSheep that follow the Shepard everywhere.

Average consumers only care about the new "gimmicks and features" and know nothing else. they don't stop and think "hmm is this phone the BEST bang for the buck phone" No they think "gotta get the newest apple product cause my contract is going to let me upgrade nether less"

Or because they don't care about the lack of a headphone jack. The lack of a headphone jack isn't a problem for a lot of people.

The rest is just wanting something new. A lot of people like getting new things, so those that can afford it, do it. It's the same like how a lot of people go out to eat, even though you can often get an equally good meal at home for much less. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I though it would come without a battery. But I was wrong

/s

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

We should be pushing for better wireless technology since the ability to use 3.5mm will be there via adapters.

better wireless technology has absolutely nothing to do with the 3.5mm jack - absolutely nothing whatsoever

you again keep ignoring the fact that speakers are analogue

8 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Most bluetooth dongles cost $5 and are free due to rebates quite often. Bluetooth can also be useful for Dualshock/Xbox controllers, mice, speakers, etc. 

This has already been debated in previous topics, so it will differ by the person. Each person has their own opinion, but imo battery problems is worse than having a permanent wire on my headphone. Would rather get good USB 3.0 headphones (if they are any good) than go bluetooth for the same reason.

Uh oh, here come the waterworks!

Haha, but seriously, this was kind of to be expected. USB Type C is the way forward for most things mobile, and they'll likely provide an adapter in the box. I know, I know. But what if I lose it? Well, what if you lost your headphones? If you're that concerned, just tape them together. I sense a Kickstarter project in the making. Small piece of rubber that keeps your adapter and headphones together. I'll accept 10% royalties, thank you.

I think Samsung will think ahead and will offer USB Type C headphones from Harman Kardon. In fact most of their headphone catalog is already wireless.

Or, what I could also see happening, since they love multiple models, is Samsung (and possibly other manufacturers) coming out with "HiFi" models in the future, with headphone jacks and upgraded DAC/AMPs. At a premium of course. Which I actually wouldn't really mind.

Shower thought.

I've oft wondered if Apple just did this so that they an reintroduce the headphone jack in the iPhone 8, both to boost sales (much like I imagine Samsung did with removing expandable storage for one year), and to make everyone else follow suit and then be like "bitches! That's right! We knew it was a stupid idea, and now we'll get even more sales!".

Growing pains. They're bound to happen eventually. Just let it happen, and let's get the acne period over with.

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

-snip-

Also fix the software, even if you add a larger battery there are numerous 3k MaH phones that can't last to 2k MaH phones cause of shitty optimization.

Huh? Their software is already the most optimized out of most of the Android brands. They consistently get the best battery life with most of their handsets.

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Now, this I am okay with. They're actually moving forward somewhat by using USB type C, unlike Apple who use a proprietary connector, simply forcing users further into their ecosystem. 

What we need now is for them to use 2 USB C ports so we don't need adaptors to charge and listen to music at the same time. 

Curious, how often do you really think that'd be necessary? Especially now with QC4.0 coming out, you'll likely be able to fully charge the phone within 30 to 40 minutes.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

If this is true then Samsung has lost its identity trying to copy Apple every way they can.

Audiophiles who own expensive ear/headpieces will not tolerate this one bit.

Apple wasn't the first company to ditch the headphone jack.

Also, most audiophiles I know either have a much higher quality PMP, or use an external dac/amp anyway.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

however, iphone7 still sold a ton. So hate or no hate? customers buy iphone7 regardless, so where is the hate comes from? I am sure samsung marketing research team wont go in tech forums for market response.

I am against removing the headphone jack and shiit, but damn, majority of the market says different.

It's nice to see someone who actually puts some thought into what the general consumer wants. Which in reality is what drives what's manufactured.

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

Cause they are the blind iSheep that follow the Shepard everywhere.

Average consumers only care about the new "gimmicks and features" and know nothing else.

they don't stop and think "hmm is this phone the BEST bang for the buck phone"

No they think "gotta get the newest apple product cause my contract is going to let me upgrade nether less"

Or, you know, they simply don't need the jack and are fine with using the adapter.

And if their contract lets them upgrade with no penalty, why the hell not get the newest phone you can? Makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, AmbarChakrabarti said:

Well, I guess I am the only one waiting for 2017 to see what Nokia has to offer... \(._.)/

Same here! Not for this reason, but I'm just stoked to see them back in the game. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

50 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

-snip-

I use prepaid. Buy a burner phone for the minutes and the year of service for $80. 

How much data does that give you?
My parents do the same thing. No data, but they just use it to text me.

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Lightning headphones, USB type C headphones, 3.5mm headphones

how many headphones one should carry around?

Why would you need to carry around multiple pairs? If you use your phone for audio, I highly doubt you're needing to switch sources halfway through.

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Fucking this, times like a million. No one sees this, and it irritates me. Do I personally prefer 3.5mm jacks over Bluetooth? Yeah, Bluetooth has its fair share of issues. But not only is Bluetooth viable, in terms of audio quality, it's close to fucking lossless now. For the average consumer, if Samsung plays their cards right, I don't really see a downside to this.

The downside for me is battery life. Until they make small earbuds with 20+ hours of battery life, I'm not interested.

That said, I use a separate PMP anyway, so I'm not really affected.
And you're absolutely right, the average consumer is likely to give less of a fuck. They'll just use the included adapter, like most sane people. "Hmm...they gave me a solution? Maybe I'll just use that."

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

bluetooth is still a piece of trash for audio quality 

Is it really though? I have a few friends who say they hardly notice a difference.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If this is true, then I guess I will not be upgrading my S6 to someting else by Samsung at least.

I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with my S6 but if Samsung removes the headphone jack too, then I'm not going to buy their phone. Hopefully between Google, LG, and HTC at least one of them makes a good phone that doesn't sacrifice the headphone jack in that horrid chase of thinness.

I believe the S6 is at a perfect thickness or thinness depending on how you see it. I don't think they should really go thinner. Bigger batteries not thinner phones.

Thinner phones tend to have less battery capacity so that's another reason that phones really shouldn't get thinner. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How much data does that give you?
My parents do the same thing. No data, but they just use it to text me.

Usually about 1600 Minutes and texts and MB. Sometimes you can return your old Tracfone for an extra 400 or get a free month or two of Pandora which is still worth it.

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

better wireless technology has absolutely nothing to do with the 3.5mm jack - absolutely nothing whatsoever

you again keep ignoring the fact that speakers are analogue

If there were no DAC in the headset, how are they outputting sound? Same with a car, which is seamless to switch to. Same with NFC speakers. Many of these devices have DAC's in them.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Curious, how often do you really think that'd be necessary? Especially now with QC4.0 coming out, you'll likely be able to fully charge the phone within 30 to 40 minutes.

For me, pretty often. I almost always have a powerbank on me and I listen to music when I'm moving around London. When you've got a long time on trains, being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time is very useful. 

It's not just charging that uses the port. It's ridiculous to not be able to listen to music and have anything else connected to your phone (without a dongle, at least). 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

If there were no DAC in the headset, how are they outputting sound? Same with a car, which is seamless to switch to. Same with NFC speakers. Many of these devices have DAC's in them.

show me headphones with upgradable DACs

Since we're not moving from 3.5 at all, I don't think this is a good idea. Sure there's bluetooth options, but the amount of decent headphones is very limited.

I guess it's true when Apple changed something, some other company will try to copy them. Just like when they made gold iphone and how everyone starts making gold phones.

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Usually about 1600 Minutes and texts and MB. Sometimes you can return your old Tracfone for an extra 400 or get a free month or two of Pandora which is still worth it.

That's not bad at all. How much data?

I pay $480/year for unlimited calls/text and 2GB of data a month.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

For me, pretty often. I almost always have a powerbank on me and I listen to music when I'm moving around London. When you've got a long time on trains, being able to charge your phone and listen to music at the same time is very useful. 

It's not just charging that uses the port. It's ridiculous to not be able to listen to music and have anything else connected to your phone (without a dongle, at least). 

I suppose, I just don't see it as that huge of a problem. I mean if you're at a computer say, you could just plug into that.

Haven't thought about getting a battery bank that uses QC? I think if I had to juice up often that's the way I'd go.

I can't imagine you'd need to recharge more than twice a day.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Considering that Apple didn't really lose sales and Samsung is directly competing with Apple make sense for them to do so.

Then again, makes me wonder how this is going to impact their sales after the whole exploding note fiasco. 

1 minute ago, AbsoluteProdigy said:

Then again, makes me wonder how this is going to impact their sales after the whole exploding note fiasco. 

This is my main reason for staying away from Samsung, despite having used and liked their products earlier. Although the removal of 3.5mm jack is another reason for staying away from them. As someone really liking Pokemon Go,  I'd like to be able to use my fully-functioning 3.5mm headphones while charging the phone.

"Ok seems like the previous flagshipt literally exploded cause we made it too thin. What do we do know?....I know! Remove the headphone jack to not only piss off people but make it even more explosion prone!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

suppose, I just don't see it as that huge of a problem. I mean if you're at a computer say, you could just plug into that.

Haven't thought about getting a battery bank that uses QC? I think if I had to juice up often that's the way I'd go.

I can't imagine you'd need to recharge more than twice a day.

It's not always a problem. I only listen to music on my phone when I'm out. If I'm at a computer, I'll use that. 

The issue comes when you're moving around a lot and don't really have the time to just charge the phone (or rather, don't want to unplug the headphones for that time). Being able to just have your phone and a powerbank in your pocket with both the powerbank and headphones connected is important to me. It's definitely not an issue for everyone, but it really depends on your usage. 

I also think having two USB C ports could actually be useful for other things too. Being able to connect multiple devices to your phone at once could be useful. Even just having two pairs of headphones connected with a friend (or stranger, whatever your style) for shared music listening would be useful for some. Also offers some redundancy in the event one of the ports fails. 

Looks like I may be going back to Nokia next upgrade, if both Samsung and Motorola are getting rid of the headphone jack.

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It's not always a problem. I only listen to music on my phone when I'm out. If I'm at a computer, I'll use that. 

The issue comes when you're moving around a lot and don't really have the time to just charge the phone (or rather, don't want to unplug the headphones for that time). Being able to just have your phone and a powerbank in your pocket with both the powerbank and headphones connected is important to me. It's definitely not an issue for everyone, but it really depends on your usage. 

I also think having two USB C ports could actually be useful for other things too. Being able to connect multiple devices to your phone at once could be useful. Even just having two pairs of headphones connected with a friend (or stranger, whatever your style) for shared music listening would be useful for some. Also offers some redundancy in the event one of the ports fails. 

I can live with two type c ports. I dont see it happening though. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

48 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not really. If you compare similar quality wired and wireless headphones, they come out to be about the same. To adhere to a silly notion of a jack making things better is exactly how tech won't develop.

And how much do proper BT IEMs cost? Not talking anything spectacular, let's say similar in quality to $20 wired ones. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

13 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And how much do proper BT IEMs cost? Not talking anything spectacular, let's say similar in quality to $20 wired ones. 

$20~. https://www.amazon.com/gp/vs/buying-guide/headphones/695064?prefilter=true&useCase=buying-guide-questions-0&considerations=p_n_price%3D1253503011%26p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3D12097501011

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.