Recommend an SSD and do I upgrade my secondary HD?

Desting

So first, I am thinking of buying a new SSD that is larger than the one I have (which is 125 GB). I am thinking about upgrading ot a 250 GB. After having read reviews and recommendations online, I have come across the Samsung 850 EVO plenty of times, and while it is probably an amazing SSD, I was wondering if anything comes close to it in terms of performance for a little less $. Though, I must admit I do like the 5 years warranty.

My second question is, since I am building a new PC and every part in it is going to be new (along with the SSD I am buying), the only I haven't upgraded is my secondary hard drive. I was wondering if it's worth buying a newer/bigger HD, or if I should just use it for now along with my new SSD and upgrade my secondary hard drive to an SSD in a few years.

I personally have an Adata SSD. I'm really happy with it. It should cost a little less than the 850 EVO.

Also, It's with upgrading your harddrive.

What do you mean?

I'd go for a Samsung 850 for SSD. They're trusted and have really good performance. Only downside is the price, which is quite hefty.

For HDD, I would recommend a WD Black with 7200 rpm and 64mb cache. I'm not sure on the price in the US, but in Europe, they're really cheap for their value.

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I'd go for a Samsung 850 for SSD. They're trusted and have really good performance. Only downside is the price, which is quite hefty.

For HDD, I would recommend a WD Black with 7200 rpm and 64mb cache. I'm not sure on the price in the US, but in Europe, they're really cheap for their value.

But do you think it's worth it to upgrade a HD? Or would it be better to just a year or two and replace it with another SSD?

1 minute ago, Desting said:

But do you think it's worth it to upgrade a HD? Or would it be better to just a year or two and replace it with another SSD?

Which one do you own right now?

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

1 minute ago, Mi26 said:

Try to get the 500GB variant 

I would, but since it will cost me way more than the 250 GB, I kind of rule it out I guess.

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

Which one do you own right now?

My HD is a Samsung HD501LJ.

1 minute ago, Desting said:

I would, but since it will cost me way more than the 250 GB, I kind of rule it out I guess.

My HD is a Samsung HD501LJ.

250GB is plenty btw depending what you do. I'm guesing you're a gamer, and then it'll be plenty. Also it's just depending on whether you need the extra 500 gigs or so. If you do, my suggestion would be the WD Black as I said. But I'd stick with it until you really sun out of space, as it's a nice HDD to be honest.

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

So I should upgrade my current SSD (which is a Kingston V series 128 GB) to something 250 GB and keep my current HD, yes? That's what I was considering anyway. I kind of like everything being new, but upgrading my HD when HD's are already on their way out of the market is kind of not a great deal imo.

Hi @Desting!

For a SSD you can check  WD Blue SSD. It's a relatively new product on the market which has endurance up to 400 TBW and can reach up to 545MB/s and 525MB/s sequential read and write speeds. Here's a link if you want to take a look:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=SltnGG

As for your HDD question, if you don't have any issues with the HDD and its capacity works for you then you can keep it. However, I'd suggest to make sure that it's healthy by running a test on it with the manufacturer tool if possible (you should be able to find it in the official website). If you decide to go with a new drive I can recommend you some hard disk, but still if your current one is healthy you can use it as a backup location, internally or externally (by putting it in an enclosure, for instance).

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

1 hour ago, Mighty_Miro_WD said:

Hi @Desting!

For a SSD you can check  WD Blue SSD. It's a relatively new product on the market which has endurance up to 400 TBW and can reach up to 545MB/s and 525MB/s sequential read and write speeds. Here's a link if you want to take a look:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=SltnGG

As for your HDD question, if you don't have any issues with the HDD and its capacity works for you then you can keep it. However, I'd suggest to make sure that it's healthy by running a test on it with the manufacturer tool if possible (you should be able to find it in the official website). If you decide to go with a new drive I can recommend you some hard disk, but still if your current one is healthy you can use it as a backup location, internally or externally (by putting it in an enclosure, for instance).

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

Haven't heard about the SSD, but I will check it out.

I tried finding the Samsung manufacturer tool, and I believe I found it (called HUTIL), but it seems to require a free disc, which I don't have. I am using a program called HDDScan now to go over my HDD (I have no idea what it does/checks for, but I guess I will run the different tests and see what it comes up with). After doing such tests, is that enough to check that my HDD is healthy? If my current HDD is fine, I won't go for an upgrade. I would rather wait a bit and upgrade it when prices have lowered.

What about MX300 SSD? 

31 minutes ago, Desting said:

I tried finding the Samsung manufacturer tool, and I believe I found it (called HUTIL), but it seems to require a free disc, which I don't have. I am using a program called HDDScan now to go over my HDD (I have no idea what it does/checks for, but I guess I will run the different tests and see what it comes up with). After doing such tests, is that enough to check that my HDD is healthy? If my current HDD is fine, I won't go for an upgrade. I would rather wait a bit and upgrade it when prices have lowered.

What about MX300 SSD? 

The third party app will do the job in this case and will be easier to use, so you can give it a shot. The tests will give you a basic idea abou the health of your unit, mainly the so called RAW values of the SMART parameters. Once the test is complete you can upload the results so we can take a look at them too.

As for the SSD you've mentioned, since I'm company affiliated I won't be able to comment on the SSD you've mentioned, sorry. :(

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/

51 minutes ago, Desting said:

What about MX300 SSD? 

The Blues are pretty good not gonna lie, but as of right now if you are in the US, pricing is a pretty large factor imo, you can get a m.2 mx300 for $72 or the blue normal sata 3 for $80  (MX300 is 275gb, Blue is 250)

4 hours ago, Desting said:

What do you mean?

It's worth. I'm sorry haha. Can you quote me next time? I didn't know you replied.

23 hours ago, Desting said:

I uploaded a screenshot of the verify test of my HDD: 

https://postimg.org/image/ik4vgdhon/

I can't seem to do the SMART test for some reason...

You can download the official Samsung SSD Software here: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/overview.html

It is called Samsung magician. You can change all sorts of settings and do speed tests. I have it myself for my 850 Evo and is very good.