South Korea makes game modding illegal

zMeul
Just now, zMeul said:

no, you don't

Okay then I guess you know what I think and what I don't think.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Well this is the same country that bans tattoos.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

When it comes to competitive gaming I agree, if its just casual gaming im against this law (ofcourse cheaters should be punished in both situations).

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

This is what happens when you let old people who don't understand anything, pass laws and tell people what to do.

Actually not the case here. The people behind this, in all likelihood Blizzard or some other publisher or lobbying group for them, know damn well what they're doing. They just want ultimate control and would use the fact that the country has such a big industry on videogames with competitive playing and mmos, that they probably used that as leverage to get their way.

You need to redirect your anger towards game publishers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Thank god this doesn't include Skyrim mods.

The title seems a bit misleading. 

But I digress. For all the stress and feelings of time being wasted hackers inflict on people legitimately try to follow the rules and play fair and square, they do need time in jail. 

The real question is whether or not children's parents are going to get into trouble over this as well if they're underaged or not.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

it's a 43000$ fine - hell yeah they will

please tell me, how bad you have to screw up in your country to get fined 43k USD or be sent to jail?

I don't know much about the south Korean court system but I would imagine there is a length process to convict someone with this type of crime. In all likelihood the law won't be used all that often because of having to go through these hoops. I mean it's not like they just get to take 43k every time they catch someone doing anything that might be considered illegal. Why waste time and money unless it's important?

is it me, or is SK in the news a lot recently for dumb shit? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

6 hours ago, cesrai said:

This law won't effect you then. Do you actually think MS will go and sue you for using third party airplanes in FSX ?  Why do you think it's dump ??

Fortunately I don't live in South Korea, but yeah. It'd be dumb for Microsoft  or Laminar Research/Xicat Interactive to have an issue with that.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I don't know much about the south Korean court system but I would imagine there is a length process to convict someone with this type of crime. In all likelihood the law won't be used all that often because of having to go through these hoops. I mean it's not like they just get to take 43k every time they catch someone doing anything that might be considered illegal. Why waste time and money unless it's important?

really?! so it just happened it's part of the law :dry:

I think they were bored over there, don't you?!

46 minutes ago, zMeul said:

really?! so it just happened it's part of the law :dry:

I think they were bored over there, don't you?!

What I'm trying to say is that the law seem to me to be created so that it can be used when necessary not whenever it happens. There are actually laws like this made all the time. 

Is it just me that thinks the penalty is out? how about treating cheats like real sports treat sopping? 43k and possible jail time seems harsh for basically cheating. it would be like sending the entire Russian Athletics team to jail. Just ban the Dorchester that arevent cheating from competitions and keep banning their acounts in game. Anything else is completely disproportionate. 

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

Definitely potential for abuse here, but overall, I'm not overly concerned with the SK government going after modders like crazy.

Remember, if you can't afford to pay the fine, the government can't really force you to magically have more money. The $43,000 fine is going to be primarily for distributors and people who can afford to pay the fine.

It's the same reason why Microsoft doesn't go after little Joey for downloading a cracked version of Office Professional Plus (Retail Value ~$800) - Joey can't pay for that shit. Instead, they go after the Office Building who's using 1500 cracked copies, because they know they can make huge money off a big business.

Does that make it right? No, not necessarily. But it doesn't make me overly worried.

I would feel better if there was a bit more consumer protection in the law though. In my opinion, ONLY multiplayer modding (Outside of the Publisher's ToS) should be illegal. Single player modding doesn't hurt anyone, so who gives a shit?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

South Korean parliament bans the “manufacturing and distributing programs that are not allowed by the game company and its Terms of Service.”

Be a Korean game company that has produced a game.

Prohibit everyone from producing competing games.

Enjoy never ending income.

41 minutes ago, Granular said:

Be a Korean game company that has produced a game.

Prohibit everyone from producing competing games.

Enjoy never ending income.

I'm pretty sure there would be other laws that prevent that :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 hours ago, cesrai said:

Did you read the article ? This is actually a good thing.

So what's not to like here ? I guess cheaters may not like this. I guess I should expect much less hacks from South Korea.

source: https://pvplive.net/c/south-korea-passes-bill-to-directly-punish-hack-ma ( gamasutra article is pos )

I can forsee it being abused.

Also, I absolutely detest the competitive "professional" gaming world in its entirety. I find it to be anathema to everything that gaming should be.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Also, I absolutely detest the competitive "professional" gaming world in its entirety. I find it to be anathema to everything that gaming should be.

Let's hope the justice system in SK isn't that easy to abuse. And to each his own I guess, but why ? some games are competitive in their nature so seeing them develop a seen and such is normal.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

5 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

While I agree with you about the potential abuse, why do you detest the professional gaming world? I see it as no different from any other professional in a "recreational" activity or sport (Be it a Sport Target Shooter, a runner, a skier, a basketball player, a chess master, etc).

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Definitely potential for abuse here, but overall, I'm not overly concerned with the SK government going after modders like crazy.

Remember, if you can't afford to pay the fine, the government can't really force you to magically have more money. The $43,000 fine is going to be primarily for distributors and people who can afford to pay the fine.

It's the same reason why Microsoft doesn't go after little Joey for downloading a cracked version of Office Professional Plus (Retail Value ~$800) - Joey can't pay for that shit. Instead, they go after the Office Building who's using 1500 cracked copies, because they know they can make huge money off a big business.

Does that make it right? No, not necessarily. But it doesn't make me overly worried.

I would feel better if there was a bit more consumer protection in the law though. In my opinion, ONLY multiplayer modding (Outside of the Publisher's ToS) should be illegal. Single player modding doesn't hurt anyone, so who gives a shit?

That's the thing though. Zemul title is sensational. This amendment of law is aimed at cheat makers and distributor not at your avg modder as it makes it easier for riot and such to go after them ( by them I mean cheat makers and distributor.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

5 minutes ago, cesrai said:

That's the thing though. Zemul title is sensational. This amendment of law is aimed at cheat makers and distributor not at your avg modder as it makes it easier for riot and such to go after them ( by them I mean cheat makers and distributor.

Oh I understand the intent of this law. I also agree that the title is sensationalist, because it doesn't inherently make all modding illegal, just under certain circumstances.

However, there is still LOTS of potential for abuse.

10 minutes ago, cesrai said:

Let's hope the justice system in SK isn't that easy to abuse. And to each his own I guess, but why ? some games are competitive in their nature so seeing them develop a seen and such is normal.

My issue is with money being involved.

An example of this would be: Once upon a time, sports leagues would disqualify and ban players who played for money, because they felt it corrupted the sporting nature of the game.

I tend to agree. Games should be for enjoyment, not making money.

Also, personally I just hate games like CS:GO, and MOBA's. CS:GO is nothing more than a test of reaction time. I'd like to see half of their players try to make it through a match of Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Mode.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While I agree with you about the potential abuse, why do you detest the professional gaming world? I see it as no different from any other professional in a "recreational" activity or sport (Be it a Sport Target Shooter, a runner, a skier, a basketball player, a chess master, etc).

Because, in my mind, it corrupts the very intent and nature of a "game".

When you do something for money, it's no longer a game, it's a job. A game should be purely for entertainment.

10 minutes ago, cesrai said:

the law amendment does not specifically state cheats

I strongly suggest you read the OP and if you have doubts, find korean translators

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

My issue is with money being involved.

An example of this would be: Once upon a time, sports leagues would disqualify and ban players who played for money, because they felt it corrupted the sporting nature of the game.

I tend to agree. Games should be for enjoyment, not making money.

Also, personally I just hate games like CS:GO, and MOBA's. CS:GO is nothing more than a test of reaction time. I'd like to see half of their players try to make it through a match of Battlefield Bad Company 2 Rush Mode.

1. Money is a motive at all times.

2. Sport leagues disqualify and ban players who played for money ? first time hearing about this can you please like link some sources. Also, it's their job of corse they play for the money. 

3. You're wrong about CSGO. It isn't about reaction time only. You need to aim ( aiming isn't just flicking around to the heads of people and such ) , to have great movement, have game sense, build/exec starts and teamwork.

4. Yes games are generally for enjoyment. You're assuming that somehow having a competitive scene make removes the enjoyment. There are a lot of people who take enjoyment in watching leagues, tournaments and games. If you make a living out of a game that doesn't necessarily take the enjoyment out of it. Just look at Pros such as Get_Right, s1mple.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Oh I understand the intent of this law. I also agree that the title is sensationalist, because it doesn't inherently make all modding illegal, just under certain circumstances.

However, there is still LOTS of potential for abuse.

Yes there is potential for abuse, but I hope that SK justice system isn't that easy to abuse.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ