BEWARE Of HP Laptops That Use The "Blue Tip" Chargers!

Don't complain about image quality, you get the picture...

orhp3x_1.jpg

Why should you avoid laptops with these chargers?

The DC jack has three contacts. The outside of the connector is negative, the inside is positive, and the pin is a sense line that tells the laptop what wattage the charger is.

So whats the issue?

All connectors wear out. But when these things wear out, the sense line has a nasty habit of touching the positive connection, and the board isn't supposed to have 19v, here, so it completely kills the board.

I've had not one, but TWO laptops with this issue in the last WEEK. They needed a whole new motherboard, and laptop boards ain't cheap.

So try to avoid these things...

(actually, avoid HP in general lol)

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Don't complain about image quality, you get the picture...

orhp3x_1.jpg

Why should you avoid laptops with these chargers?

The DC jack has three contacts. The outside of the connector is negative, the inside is positive, and the pin is a sense line that tells the laptop what wattage the charger is.

So whats the issue?

All connectors wear out. But when these things wear out, the sense line has a nasty habit of touching the positive connection, and the board isn't supposed to have 19v, here, so it completely kills the board.

I've had not one, but TWO laptops with this issue in the last WEEK. They needed a whole new motherboard, and laptop boards ain't cheap.

So try to avoid these things...

(actually, avoid HP in general lol)

proof?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

proof?

Models we have in for repair:

IMG_20161206_144528.jpg

Frikkin rotation

DC jack from one of them

IMG_20161206_144742.jpg

The other dc jack failed differently but still had the same outcome

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My Google Fu came up with nothing. I wouldn't discount OP though, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure everyone except Apple uses a standard plug.

Dell uses the same plugs, but with a different signal

most Asus/Acer/Gateway/toshoba and some lenovos all use the same jack.

16 minutes ago, Mug said:

I can vouch for this issue, it definitely exists.

12 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Models we have in for repair:

IMG_20161206_144528.jpg

Frikkin rotation

DC jack from one of them

IMG_20161206_144742.jpg

The other dc jack failed differently but still had the same outcome

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

My Google Fu came up with nothing. I wouldn't discount OP though, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure everyone except Apple uses a standard plug.

i have an hp laptop and it works fine and worked in a place that extensively 'refurbished' laptop psu(clean and check they work) 

hp is a pretty solid company tbh

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

i have an hp laptop and it works fine and worked in a place that extensively 'refurbished' laptop psu(clean and check they work) 

The issue isn't the psu, its the dc jack on the laptop. Consider yourself lucky. For now.

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

Didn't deny that HP makes good products, just that this is definitely an avoidable issue with a little more thought to the design.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

The issue isn't the psu, its the dc jack on the laptop. Consider yourself lucky. For now.

its rarely unplugged, i thought you meant it was in the news or something hence i asked for proof but nvm

I believe mine is Blue. Though I have a 15-BA079DX... Well...

Well it's blue but not sure it quite matches that shade of blue, maybe there's a difference?

I sort of hope there's a difference. Hmm...

I still like my laptop and it doesn't change my neutral to positive view of HP.

Well that DC jack looks a little different than the DC jack on mine.'

I'm too lazy to look up those models but about what year do they date back to?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

38 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Is it the super derpy recessed one?

I was wrong, it's not black but not exclty blue (more like teal)

it's this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/709985-002-710412-001-714159-001-741727-001-Compatible-Replacement/dp/B00IT1RHVW

eclhp0008k.jpg

the DC jack inside the laptop looks like a penis; absolutely nothing like the one you linked

14 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I believe mine is Blue. Though I have a 15-BA079DX... Well...

Well it's blue but not sure it quite matches that shade of blue, maybe there's a difference?

I sort of hope there's a difference. Hmm...

I still like my laptop and it doesn't change my neutral to positive view of HP.

Well that DC jack looks a little different than the DC jack on mine.'

I'm too lazy to look up those models but about what year do they date back to?

Not sure actually. But HP has three main flavors of jacks:

They can all be seen here

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-90w-slim-with-usb-ac-adapter-p-g6h45aa-aba--1

The blue one is the issue. The photo is of a broken port.

6 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Not sure actually. But HP has three main flavors of jacks:

They can all be seen here

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-90w-slim-with-usb-ac-adapter-p-g6h45aa-aba--1

The blue one is the issue. The photo is of a broken port.

Ah.

Well... Hopefully mine isn't affected. Guess time will largely be a telling factor in whether it's a problem with my laptop or if maybe it'll be quite alright. Hopefully the latter, because I wouldn't really want to buy a new laptop if I'm forced to by something HP could've seemingly prevented by having better engineering designs or better QA.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

@wcreek  and @zMuel (can't tag for some reason)

Here is the damaged one next to a new one

IMG_20161206_153708.jpg

Zmuel if your penis looks like that, please get it checked.

The new one does sort of look like the DC jack on mine. 

The plug is more of a teal color as well

Also I'd have to agree, that might be something a Urologist or Andrologist might need to review.

One of my friends has a HP laptop with a charger that looks quite like this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

One of my friends has a HP laptop with a charger that looks quite like this.

I'd advise regularly checking the DC jack for damage... Something you shouldn't need to do, but avoiding two chargers on the new macbook is also a thing so....

i kinda wana note is that these specific plugs are also the most well built charge contacts i've ever used, for as much as i have an issue with the sense pin being a proprietary POS, the physical construction of these is much better than others, to the point i'd say if you can wreck these, you're gonna end up wrecking everything at some point...

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i kinda wana note is that these specific plugs are also the most well built charge contacts i've ever used, for as much as i have an issue with the sense pin being a proprietary POS, the physical construction of these is much better than others, to the point i'd say if you can wreck these, you're gonna end up wrecking everything at some point...

But wrecking this jack potentially bricks the motherboard. I'd rather replace a 5$ DC jack a couple times than a 200$ motherboard and 5$ DC jack.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

But wrecking this jack potentially bricks the motherboard. I'd rather replace a 5$ DC jack a couple times than a 200$ motherboard and 5$ DC jack.

have you seen the normal DC jacks disintegrate? :P

i'm waiting for the moment my dad's samsung completely breaks the jack and shorts it out

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

have you seen the normal DC jacks disintegrate? :P

i'm waiting for the moment my dad's samsung completely breaks the jack and shorts it out

My dad's toshiba took NINE YEARS to break. Actually the jack didn't break, the cable did

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My dad's toshiba took NINE YEARS to break. Actually the jack didn't break, the cable did

my dad's samsung is maybe 3 years old, and the jack is held together by prayers at this point.

i should note that his old laptop had one of the blue jacks, and after 8 years you could still hold the laptop by tbe charger (as a figure of speech)