Trying to PXE boot a Gen 2 VM in Hyper-V

coonwhiz

I currently am using Windows deployment services to do imaging and deployment of machines. I created a gen 1 VM to install the OS on, then have a Gen 2 VM pointed at that vhd. Then I should be able to pxe boot the Gen2 VM and capture the image so that I can deploy it to physical machines. But when I go to pxe boot I get an error screen:

pxe-boot using ipv4
Station IP is 192.168.11.3
Server IP is 192.168.11.204

NBP filename is boot\x64\wdsmgfw.efi
NBP filesize is 0 Bytes

PXE-23:Client received TFTP error from server.
Boot failed EFI Network
Boot failed EFI SCSI Device.
No OS was loaded.

I have looked all over, trying to figure this out. Suggestions would be great!

EDIT: also I am trying to capture an x86 operating system if that helps

Edited by coonwhiz
more info

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does it work with gen 1/ hardware?

Is secure boot on?

Secure boot is on, but I have tried turning it off as well.

Just tried gen1 and it looks like it was able to pxe boot just fine

9 hours ago, coonwhiz said:

Secure boot is on, but I have tried turning it off as well.

Just tried gen1 and it looks like it was able to pxe boot just fine

Any specific reason your wanting Gen2?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ausoemteam/2015/04/21/deciding-when-to-use-generation-1-or-generation-2-virtual-machines-with-hyper-v/

ATM there isn't really a point for general purpose stuff (read 99% of deployments). Also assuming your using MDT, just use the USB instead of PXE till you have the process down.

On 12/7/2016 at 0:37 AM, Blake said:

Any specific reason your wanting Gen2?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ausoemteam/2015/04/21/deciding-when-to-use-generation-1-or-generation-2-virtual-machines-with-hyper-v/

ATM there isn't really a point for general purpose stuff (read 99% of deployments). Also assuming your using MDT, just use the USB instead of PXE till you have the process down.

I am a student lab assistant trying to design a lab manual for a computer networking/administration course in college. The lab manual that the professor wrote, and I am testing, timing and adding screenshots to, says to use a Gen 2 VM. So that's what I did. The first time it worked without issue, so I ran through the lab again months later and now it wouldn't work no matter what I did. After switching to Gen 1 it seems to work perfectly so I went to ask the professor why he wanted to use a Gen 2. He said there was no real reason, just that he knew gen 2 should be able to pxe boot and wanted to give the students a chance to pxe boot. He either didn't know that Gen1 could pxe boot, or just saw that gen 2 could before he saw that gen 1 also could.