Dualshock 4 on PS2

Dadolini

So, I have a PS4, but also a PS2, and I was thinking... Is it possible to use a dualshock 4 on the ps2? Is there maybe any adapter that I can use? And what can I do with those two USB ports on PS2?

Dadolino

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, because the USB ports on the PS2 were for specific peripherals and printers.

And there's no USB to PS2 controller port because well, there was really no need.

Basically this. All the USB ports were useful for on a stock PlayStation 2 was the EyeToy, printers because Gran Turismo 4, the mic that came with the SingStar games or w/e they were and some shit that only exists in Japan.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No, because the USB ports on the PS2 were for specific peripherals and printers.

And there's no USB to PS2 controller port because well, there was really no need.

You SAY that, but a quick google search proves you wrong. (Literally no idea if these work, or why you'd want them, just having a bit of fun with you ;) )

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You SAY that, but a quick google search proves you wrong. (Literally no idea if these work, or why you'd want them, just having a bit of fun with you ;) )

That's a PS2 controller port to USB. Not USB to PS2 controller port. PS4 controllers use USB to connect to a device.

EDIT: Okay it's really BT, but they still use USB to interface to a device.

EDIT 2: And no, a USB BT adapter won't work on a PS2 because the USB ports are not generic.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Well I have a same adapter but it doesn't work on PS2, is there some adapter to use DS4 on DS2 port?

Dadolino

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

-snip-

That thing is meant to connect a PS2 controller to your pc. :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

That's a PS2 controller port to USB. Not USB to PS2 controller port. PS4 controllers use USB to connect to a device.

OOOOO it's the other way around. Gotcha. (Runs to google. "Help guy on forum said I'm stupid now I need a PS4 controller to PS2 solution quick please save me.")

I mean technically it may work if you could get a sex changer for both ends. Assuming that both the PS4 controller and that converter made the signals for both the same. But I HIGHLY doubt it as it probably has some IC in there to control the communication that will not accept inputs on the output etc. etc. 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Basically this. All the USB ports were useful for on a stock PlayStation 2 was the EyeToy, printers because Gran Turismo 4, the mic that came with the SingStar games or w/e they were and some shit that only exists in Japan.

Don't forget the buzz controllers!

Also i use FMCB to copy savegames around to a usb stick.

And i have a PS2->HDMI converter that requires usb power, i actually don't have enough usb ports on my ps2 xD

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Don't forget the buzz controllers!

Also i use FMCB to copy savegames around to a usb stick.

And i have a PS2->HDMI converter that requires usb power, i actually don't have enough usb ports on my ps2 xD

Free Mc Boot works like a dream if you're willing to put the money into either getting the stuff required for it or a memory card with FMCB already on it. It's awesome to be able to transfer saves from your memory card to PCSX2.

PS2 to HDMI is something I've always found a bit pointless. Personally I find using component cables is the best and cheapest way to get the best out of the PS2, but the way it outputs shit means that it'll look like smeared garbage regardless.

Does a HDMI converter makes your picture better than AV?

Dadolino

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Free Mc Boot works like a dream if you're willing to put the money into either getting the stuff required for it or a memory card with FMCB already on it. It's awesome to be able to transfer saves from your memory card to PCSX2.

PS2 to HDMI is something I've always found a bit pointless. Personally I find using component cables is the best and cheapest way to get the best out of the PS2, but the way it outputs shit means that it'll look like smeared garbage regardless.

Hang on! There is a different way for that!

I actually don't use the memory card exploit but the HDD one (i have a phat ps2 with the network adapter thingy) and just slapped a random image on it.

But i don't know the name of it and i know FMCB is almost the same. I think it's called FHDB or something, no idea...

Everytime i turn on the PS2 it runs the software from the HDD and works fine, no hardware mods, nothing. (the warranty seal on mine is still intact :p)

Also i managed to get a 1TB sata drive in it, afaik the maximum size supported, works fine.

And about the HDMI thing, i don't have a TV anymore with SCART or component input support, and it gives me the option to use my IPS monitor. And tbh it looks great, at least for a ps2... It's like 521i or something, can't remember. It's actually not bad tbh :P

8 minutes ago, Yusof said:

Does a HDMI converter makes your picture better than AV?

The PS2 to HDMI converter basically acts as Component mode but it uses HDMI, obviously.

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I actually don't use the memory card exploit but the HDD one (i have a phat ps2 with the network adapter thingy) and just slapped a random image on it.

But i don't know the name of it and i know FMCB is almost the same. I think it's called FHDB or something, no idea...

Everytime i turn on the PS2 it runs the software from the HDD and works fine, no hardware mods, nothing. (the warranty seal on mine is still intact :p)

Also i managed to get a 1TB sata drive in it, afaik the maximum size supported, works fine.

And about the HDMI thing, i don't have a TV anymore with SCART or component input support, and it gives me the option to use my IPS monitor. And tbh it looks great, at least for a ps2... It's like 521i or something, can't remember. It's actually not bad tbh :P

I remember the hard drive exploits you could pull. Damn, you got SATA in it?

Ah, that sounds about right.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I remember the hard drive exploits you could pull. Damn, you got SATA in it?

Ah, that sounds about right.

From all the things in my house, i'm most proud of my ps2 :D

I still play on it actually, i'm expecting an order of a couple of controllers and some other accessories for it this week.

I probably spent waaay too much on it the last few months on it but whatever, i had a blast going back to it :)

If you have one i really recommend dusting it off and playing on it again, just popping in a game and playing it is so underrated these days.

I still play on it actually, i'm expecting an order of a couple of controllers and some other accessories for it this week.

I probably spent waaay too much on it the last few months on it but whatever, i had a blast going back to it :)

If you have one i really recommend dusting it off and playing on it again, just popping in a game and playing it is so underrated these days.

I actually do own a PlayStation 2. I haven't actually played much of anything on it in months. Maybe I'll give Burnout 3 a try again :)

I love my PS2. So many good games on that. Not to mention you can play all of the PS1 titles as well. Graphics weren't great, but still plenty fun. Now-a-day there are too many shit titles to keep up. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I actually do own a PlayStation 2. I haven't actually played much of anything on it in months. Maybe I'll give Burnout 3 a try again :)

Woo another burnout fan! :D

I played the sh*t out of it last summer.

Went from scratch to the super GP in a unhealthy short amount of time. But it was worth it.

The Ratchet & Clank series is also a good one if you want to do something else than racing.

Or Road Trip Adventure. It's an RPG with cars, stupid but absolutely hilarious, it's a bit of a hidden gem tbh.

1 minute ago, Yusof said:

No, not really any difference in picture quality. All the PS2 to HDMI converter does, simply, is run the PS2 in component mode and let you use HDMI instead.

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Woo another burnout fan! :D

I played the sh*t out of it last summer.

Went from scratch to the super GP in a unhealthy short amount of time. But it was worth it.

The Ratchet & Clank series is also a good one if you want to do something else than racing.

Or Road Trip Adventure. It's an RPG with cars, stupid but absolutely hilarious, it's a bit of a hidden gem tbh.

I really need to give Burnout 3 a clean start, but I'm lazy.

Never played Ratchet and Clank, never been that interested in it either, rip.

Never heard of Road Trip Adventure. Might have to give it a go.

I didn't get answer to my question, so is there DS4 to DS2 adapter or converter? So I can use Dualshock 4 on DS2 port?

Dadolino

Nope. I was looking for an adapter myself. With the shear number of controller adapters I've seen, you'd think that some kind of DS3/DS4 to PS2 adapter would exist. I mean, there's even a frickin' bluetooth adapter for the NES that lets you use a DS3 or DS4. Why does that exist and not one for the PS2?

I have some DS2 controllers but I seem to break them more often than any of my other controllers. I still have two of them and hopefully neither breaks. The last one I bought was such a pain to find new in box reasonably priced. Haven't broken any in a couple of years though but it'd still be great to have the option since the DS3 and DS4 are so much easier to come by now.

6 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

Nope. I was looking for an adapter myself. With the shear number of controller adapters I've seen, you'd think that some kind of DS3/DS4 to PS2 adapter would exist. I mean, there's even a frickin' bluetooth adapter for the NES that lets you use a DS3 or DS4. Why does that exist and not one for the PS2?

I have some DS2 controllers but I seem to break them more often than any of my other controllers. I still have two of them and hopefully neither breaks. The last one I bought was such a pain to find new in box reasonably priced. Haven't broken any in a couple of years though but it'd still be great to have the option since the DS3 and DS4 are so much easier to come by now.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/how-build-your-own-ps2-bluetooth-adapter-use-real-ps3-ps4-controllers-wirelessly-your-ps2-127728/

You can build your own one if you want.

I think the thing with the PS3 and PS4 controllers is they are now more or less generic USB controllers, but with some funky Bluetooth handshaking before they can pair up to anything other than a PlayStation. And that's probably a bit more of a hassle to translate into older PlayStation controller port signals (though someone did map it out at http://pinouts.ru/Game/playstation_9_pinout.shtml )

Original Half Life on PS2 can be played via mouse and keyboard using the 2 USB ports.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

On 12/5/2016 at 0:31 PM, samcool55 said:

The European PAL models ran at a higher resolution than those of us in the states. However, few games actually utilized the full frame buffer due to the very limited amount of RAM. Basically meaning the PS2 often wasn't even hitting 480i.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…