is it worth getting a good psu? (80+ gold)

ben dover kid

so yeah, im thinking of getting a EVGA 650w supernova gs, 100% modular and 80+ gold. all i want is... quiet, modular is ok but not a necesssity, and .. thats it. now i have some chieftec 700w random psu which doesn't even have a 80+ rating and is has some "variable" thing(the watts, or something like that. all i know that it is a bad "feature" never found in good or at least a proper psus)

Just now, ben dover kid said:

so yeah, im thinking of getting a EVGA 650w supernova gs, 100% modular and 80+ gold. all i want is... quiet, modular is ok but not a necesssity, and .. thats it. now i have some chieftec 700w random psu which doesn't even have a 80+ rating and is has some "variable" thing(the watts, or something like that. all i know that it is a bad "feature" never found in good or at least a proper psus)

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

Getting a good PSU is definitely worth it, as you'll be wiring it into most components in your computer. Of everything you put in there, the PSU is most likely to take other components with it if it fails.

That doesn't mean that the PSU has to be 80+ Bronze, Gold or Anything-certified. Those certifications only show a certain level of power efficiency. It's good for the environment and it's good for your power bill, but it comes at a higher initial cost. It doesn't guarantee a level of quality, other than that efficient PSUs tend to have better quality components to reach their more efficient performance.

That said, a power-efficient PSU turns more electricity into electricity, and turns less electricity into heat. Lower heat output reduces the need for cooling, so fan speeds may be lower in these parts. Like with the component quality, this is often the case, but is not a guarantee.

In the end, you'll be looking for a PSU that is reliable and well-built. I believe there's a post somewhere on this forum that lists what PSUs definitely not to buy and which ones are considered safe investments. (I believe the SuperNova GS's come out as acceptable quality in that list.) Have a look for that!

edit:

@Matt_98 just provided a link to just that list. Thanks Matt!

Edited by DHelios

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

DEFINITELY! PSUs are the heart of every PC.Most people, especially beginners tend to overlook their PSU choice and go with random generic or case-bundled PSUs.

You should check out this forum and other expert websites to find out more about the importance of a quality PSU. For starters, here's what 80+ means: 

And regarding your PSU choice, it is an excellent one and here's an expert review to back it up.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=424

Edited by ermu
Provided wrong link for PSU review

Your PSU is like the suspension in your car. Yeah sure it'll run for a bit but pretty soon you'll have shit falling off left, right and center.

-アパゾ

6 hours ago, ben dover kid said:

The 650GS is a good unit. I personally use a 550GS. It's very short and has flat cables. Would recommend although in my particular use-case an EVGA G2 would be have a better option than the GS since I don't like the flat cables nor do I need a short PSU for any reason. The G2 is a bit quieter so yeah.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||