Can someone help me pick a CPU cooler?

Heyhey fellow PC-enthusiasts,

I am rather new to all this and I was wondering if anybody could help me upgrade my current stock intel cooler.

Currently I am not having any issues regarding heat, nor are the noise levels unbearable. But my PC-case has a window looking unto the motherboard and that stock cooler is just an ugly sight.

So I'd like to get rid of that and if temps and noise levels go down a bit that'd be all the better!

Also as a side note I am not really looking to overclock anything in the foreseeable future.

My current build:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 - 6400 2.7Ghz
  • Mobo: MSI Z170I Gaming PRO ARC
  • RAM: 1 x 8GB DIMM DDR4-2133 Kingston Hyper X Fury
  • GPU: MSI GTX960 4G
  • PSU: Corsair CS550M
  • Case: Corsair Obisidan Series 250D

I am mainly worried about clearance inside the case and clearance regarding the RAM-stick.(for now it's a single stick but I'd like to keep access to the second slot too just in case the need arises for an upgrade).

Whichever gets me the looks and the best bang for my buck regarding cooling and noise is going to be the winner but in general I hope to spend no more than +/-80 euro.

Thank you ever so much for any help provided!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and replace the fan that it comes with, with a Noctua NF-F12. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Really, almost any aftermarket cooler will provide more cooling and less noise than the Intel stock HSF. Since your main concern is how it looks through the window, I would personally recommend that you disregard any cooling performance or price-to-performance recommendations and only look into coolers that look... well, cool!

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and replace the fan that it comes with, with a Noctua NF-F12. 

Thanks for the tip!

You sure it isn't to high though for this case? Also why would I replace the stock fan? Is the stock fan rubbish or is that Noctua just better?

Like I said, I am new to this so sorry if these are stupid questions.

4 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

Also why would I replace the stock fan? Is the stock fan rubbish or is that Noctua just better?

The fan that comes with the 212 Evo isn't good that's why I suggest getting a Noctua NF-F12 to put on it instead. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

7 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

replace the fan that it comes with, with a Noctua NF-F12

Have you ever seen a Noctua fan :D not really an improvement over the stock fan from Intel xD 

7 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

my PC-case has a window looking unto the motherboard and that stock cooler is just an ugly sight

I personally use a BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 and absolutely love it. But I don't know if you like the way it looks. 

I you care mostly about the looks I would go with a blower style cooler. I really like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF1H80890

(have a look at CRYORIGs lineup in general, they make really good looking quality fans)

For 80€ you could also pick up a cheap AIO cooler :) 

I would personally recommend not getting a CPU cooler now and wait a bit. Upgrade the CPU to a 6600K since you have a Z170 board and pick the cooler at the same time.

If you have to have one now any of the be quiet coolers would work well since they have black fans. I myself really like the look of the Pure Rock. There are also some options from Deepcool that have red fans. They are a bit on the pricey side and they are also very large and might not fit in your case. The Thermaltake Riing 120 cooler is one that I've seen recently but have not used nor do I know anyone who has so I can't speak to its performance. The Riing fans are solid build quality but the fins are tall and I don't know if they would fit in your case.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I would personally recommend not getting a CPU cooler now and wait a bit. Upgrade the CPU to a 6600K since you have a Z170 board and pick the cooler at the same time.

Why shouldn't he upgrade the cooler already now? Sooner or later he will have to anyways... If he has to decide between the 6600k and the cooler I agree, but if not there is no reason to wait.

6 minutes ago, Mobby Dick said:

Why shouldn't he upgrade the cooler already now? Sooner or later he will have to anyways... If he has to decide between the 6600k and the cooler I agree, but if not there is no reason to wait.

There is no reason why he can't, it's just a personal preference on my part. I would prefer to just upgrade them together.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

There is no reason why he can't, it's just a personal preference on my part. I would prefer to just upgrade them together.

Well, that would be best :D But it's OP's money xD 

Where are you shopping/located?

Aesthetics are subjective. What don't you like about the stock cooler's look?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Zalman CNPS9500AT looks nice, or maybe get some cooler w/ LED. But if you want performance, just go with a Hyper 212 or whatever has lots of good reviews

Desktop:  Intel Core i5-6400 | Zalman CNPS9500AT CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 1050 SC GAMING 2GB | 1x8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | Intel 600p 256GB SSD | Seagate Firecuda 1TB SSHDCorsair CX450M (Gray Version) PSU | Thermaltake Core V1 Mini-ITX Case |

19 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

Heyhey fellow PC-enthusiasts,

I am rather new to all this and I was wondering if anybody could help me upgrade my current stock intel cooler.

Currently I am not having any issues regarding heat, nor are the noise levels unbearable. But my PC-case has a window looking unto the motherboard and that stock cooler is just an ugly sight.

So I'd like to get rid of that and if temps and noise levels go down a bit that'd be all the better!

Also as a side note I am not really looking to overclock anything in the foreseeable future.

My current build:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 - 6400 2.7Ghz
  • Mobo: MSI Z170I Gaming PRO ARC
  • RAM: 1 x 8GB DIMM DDR4-2133 Kingston Hyper X Fury
  • GPU: MSI GTX960 4G
  • PSU: Corsair CS550M
  • Case: Corsair Obisidan Series 250D

I am mainly worried about clearance inside the case and clearance regarding the RAM-stick.(for now it's a single stick but I'd like to keep access to the second slot too just in case the need arises for an upgrade).

Whichever gets me the looks and the best bang for my buck regarding cooling and noise is going to be the winner but in general I hope to spend no more than +/-80 euro.

Thank you ever so much for any help provided!

Hey there vinchucca with your cpu I would say personally I would get a cryorig m9i because it has a plastic bit up the top that blocks the sight of the top of the teatpipes. And it is very cheap at only $39 aud so if you live in America it will definitely be cheaper and look nice. I added a link below for your convenience.

https://www.amazon.com/CRYORIG-Mini-Tower-Cooler-INTEL/dp/B0177GTTB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481008871&sr=8-1&keywords=M9i

kayotics.

Hey everybody thanks for the speedy replies.

Just to clarify a few things:

- I live in Belgium, so prices might differ and availability too (for instance Amazon does not have a Belgian website for some reason).

- I bought and build my PC just earlier this year so I am not looking to upgrade the CPU just yet (it was €210 and is only 8months old now). Since I am not overclocking I don't see the point in going for a "k" model either?

- since my post I found out Corsair says the maximum height for the CPU cooler is just 95mm. Ruling out quite a few tower-style coolers.

- what I don't like about the stock Intel cooler is just the cheap plastic look of the fan on top with the ugly sticker and ugly wire. I know it's subjective and some might not even care but sadly I do :D

10 minutes ago, Vinchucca said:

Hey everybody thanks for the speedy replies.

Just to clarify a few things:

- I live in Belgium, so prices might differ and availability too (for instance Amazon does not have a Belgian website for some reason).

- I bought and build my PC just earlier this year so I am not looking to upgrade the CPU just yet (it was €210 and is only 8months old now). Since I am not overclocking I don't see the point in going for a "k" model either?

- since my post I found out Corsair says the maximum height for the CPU cooler is just 95mm. Ruling out quite a few tower-style coolers.

- what I don't like about the stock Intel cooler is just the cheap plastic look of the fan on top with the ugly sticker and ugly wire. I know it's subjective and some might not even care but sadly I do :D

If you don't like the tower style cooler like the m9i there are very compact cpu coolers that do the job like the cryorig c7 compact cooler which is low profile and should fit if you have a full atx motherboard and they look pretty nice to be honest. I put a link to the pc case gear link below so you can see the specs. Don't order from the site it's Aussie I only use it cuz I live in Australia.

http://search.pccasegear.com/search?p=R&srid=S1-2SYDP&lbc=pccasegear&w=Compact cooler&url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.pccasegear.com%2fproducts%2f33458%2fcryorig-c7-compact-cpu-cooler%2f&rk=2&uid=547030628&sid=2&ts=ajax&SLIPid=1481016187494&rsc=CfnJLZEa%3aHA36pCm&method=and&isort=score&view=list

32 minutes ago, kayotics said:

If you don't like the tower style cooler like the m9i there are very compact cpu coolers that do the job like the cryorig c7 compact cooler which is low profile and should fit if you have a full atx motherboard and they look pretty nice to be honest. I put a link to the pc case gear link below so you can see the specs. Don't order from the site it's Aussie I only use it cuz I live in Australia.

http://search.pccasegear.com/search?p=R&srid=S1-2SYDP&lbc=pccasegear&w=Compact cooler&url=https%3a%2f%2fwww.pccasegear.com%2fproducts%2f33458%2fcryorig-c7-compact-cpu-cooler%2f&rk=2&uid=547030628&sid=2&ts=ajax&SLIPid=1481016187494&rsc=CfnJLZEa%3aHA36pCm&method=and&isort=score&view=list

I like the look of that one!

But mine is an ITX board though. You reckon it'll fit?

12 minutes ago, Vinchucca said:

I like the look of that one!

But mine is an ITX board though. You reckon it'll fit?

Hmm maybe I looked and it looks like it will definitely fit and is about the same size as the intel stock cooler in width but yeah look at some reviews, I think it will fit.

17 hours ago, Mobby Dick said:

For 80€ you could also pick up a cheap AIO cooler :) 

Would you recommend it over air-coolers?

From what I've heard they are usually noisier (being there's fans and a waterpump both making noise) and less reliable (leakage).

Their cooling potential is better, but seeing as temperature isn't an issue now and I don't plan on overclocking I don't think it'd benefit my build? Or am I wrong?

1 hour ago, kayotics said:

Hmm maybe I looked and it looks like it will definitely fit and is about the same size as the intel stock cooler in width but yeah look at some reviews, I think it will fit.

Looked into it a bit further and I do think it'll fit. Thing is though I can only find one retailer in Belgium with stock and they're selling it at €91!

That seems a bit steep since I can find it in the US for some $40. 

There's also a C1-variant which seems more readily available and I think that one should fit too...

Other suggestions however, are still welcome!

55 minutes ago, Vinchucca said:

Would you recommend it over air-coolers?

From what I've heard they are usually noisier (being there's fans and a waterpump both making noise) and less reliable (leakage).

Their cooling potential is better, but seeing as temperature isn't an issue now and I don't plan on overclocking I don't think it'd benefit my build? Or am I wrong?

Depends on the kind of fans it comes with. Some fans are retardedly loud and some are okish on the noise but high end air coolers usually perform better than them at a lower cost

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

4 hours ago, kayotics said:

Sorry I looked around and only found a be quiet shadow rock LP, i put a link to this item on pc case gear so you can see the specs. But I am guessing the prices will be radicarly different where you live.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35594/be-quiet!-shadow-rock-lp-cpu-cooler/

hope this helped. Kayotics 

I think that one hasn't got enough RAM clearance.

20 minutes ago, Vinchucca said:

You could either ho with a cpu cooler that is elevated like the noctua NH c14s

it clears even tall ram sticks and you can put the fan on the top of the heatsink or the bottom. I put a link to it below. Hope this helped.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33989/noctua-nh-c14s-multi-socket-cpu-cooler/

Kayotics.

3 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

HyperX Fury ram isn't tall and fits under the SRLP just fine.

17 hours ago, Vinchucca said:

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

The 95mm clearance applies if you're using the 5.25" bay. If not, the clearance goes up to 140mm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.