Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zc0201

Jaybird x2?? or not!?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey folks, I have had my Razer Hammerhead v2 for a while now, it is not comfortable, however the sound quality is ok for me. I am planning on changing a new pair of earbuds and i was considering the jaybird x2 as my daily driver. I've seen a lot of good reviews about this earbud but considering it's wireless, is the sound quality better then the wired razer hammerhead v2? Let me know by replying. thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, zc0201 said:

Hey folks, I have had my Razer Hammerhead v2 for a while now, it is not comfortable, however the sound quality is ok for me. I am planning on changing a new pair of earbuds and i was considering the jaybird x2 as my daily driver. I've seen a lot of good reviews about this earbud but considering it's wireless, is the sound quality better then the wired razer hammerhead v2? Let me know by replying. thanks again.

well there are better earbud solutions but for wireless earbuds they're one of the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can get the X3 I would recommend those instead. The main difference with the X3 is that you can use Jaybird's MySound app to change the sound signature in the headphones themselves (not through some EQ software in the phone, but actually in the headphones). I also feel like the X3's feel more "premium" as far as plastic goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the X3, nor can I attest to the quality of the Razer, but I have been rocking the X2's as my daily driver at the gym for a few months, and I love them, so I'll put in my two cents, for what it's worth.

 

Quality:

The X2's sounds good - and I do mean that. But let's be real - Jaybird's are (somewhat) inexpensive in-ear headphones with relatively tiny drivers, so quality isn't what I would call mind boggling... but they do just fine for my basic needs - when running, cycling, or stretching, the last thing I care about is ultra-high fidelity.

 

Comfort

is excellent: for in-ear headphones. This is a preference thing, but when I'm at work I rock the bose soundlink over-ear headphones, because I can't stand having little things jammed into my ears for hours on end - if that's your thing though, more power to you. The Bose are also wireless, and they sound better in my opinion. 

 

Other options?

I got my wife the JLab Audio Epic2 headphones for the gym about 6-8 months ago, and I will occasionally use those instead - maybe it's the shape of my ear, but I actually find them a bit more comfortable. Since I only really use these suckers at the gym, I've never tried to compare quality, but I can't say I would prefer one over the other quality wise.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kloaked said:

If you can get the X3 I would recommend those instead. The main difference with the X3 is that you can use Jaybird's MySound app to change the sound signature in the headphones themselves (not through some EQ software in the phone, but actually in the headphones). I also feel like the X3's feel more "premium" as far as plastic goes.

No. The mysound app is literally applying an EQ to the earbuds, no matter how they're marketing it. If it weren't an EQ/some kind of DSP (which, again, is a form of EQ) then there would have to be some sort of physical change within the earphones, and I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the X3 doesn't have any kind of miniature actuator that can physically change the in ears based on a setting in an app.

8 hours ago, AthrunZ said:

I don't have the X3, nor can I attest to the quality of the Razer, but I have been rocking the X2's as my daily driver at the gym for a few months, and I love them, so I'll put in my two cents, for what it's worth.

 

Quality:

The X2's sounds good - and I do mean that. But let's be real - Jaybird's are (somewhat) inexpensive in-ear headphones with relatively tiny drivers, so quality isn't what I would call mind boggling... but they do just fine for my basic needs - when running, cycling, or stretching, the last thing I care about is ultra-high fidelity.

 

Comfort

is excellent: for in-ear headphones. This is a preference thing, but when I'm at work I rock the bose soundlink over-ear headphones, because I can't stand having little things jammed into my ears for hours on end - if that's your thing though, more power to you. The Bose are also wireless, and they sound better in my opinion. 

 

Other options?

I got my wife the JLab Audio Epic2 headphones for the gym about 6-8 months ago, and I will occasionally use those instead - maybe it's the shape of my ear, but I actually find them a bit more comfortable. Since I only really use these suckers at the gym, I've never tried to compare quality, but I can't say I would prefer one over the other quality wise.

 

6mm drivers aren't that small for an in ear... That's a pretty normal size. I'd also have to say that sound quality cannot be based on the size of the driver, so there's that.

 

I personally found the comfort to be good enough, but (at least for me - trying to provide some more viewpoints on this for OP) it wasn't anything to write home about. For me, something like the Westone/Shure style of in ear is much more comfortable, and stays in my ear better than the X2s ever did for me. Also, I find the rough texture of the Comply foam to be more uncomfortable than the silicone tips. That being said, both Shure and Westone use a much smoother, and far more comfortable foam. Oh, and I have fairly small ear canals, so I find the smaller nozzles of the Shure and Westone products to fit me much better.

 

I'm not surprised that the Bose sound better, seeing as they're a $200+ headphone.


Hey! New SIgnature! 

 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

No. The mysound app is literally applying an EQ to the earbuds, no matter how they're marketing it. If it weren't an EQ/some kind of DSP (which, again, is a form of EQ) then there would have to be some sort of physical change within the earphones, and I'm willing to bet any amount of money that the X3 doesn't have any kind of miniature actuator that can physically change the in ears based on a setting in an app.

I've used them on multiple devices and only my phone has the MySound app installed. It carries over the same EQ no matter what device it's on. I'm not saying there isn't anything in the headphone not applying EQ - I'm meaning that Android or iOS isn't doing it through its own equalizer which can sometimes cause latency issues over Bluetooth (which was a problem I had with my X1 and no longer existent on the X3).

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

6mm drivers aren't that small for an in ear... That's a pretty normal size. I'd also have to say that sound quality cannot be based on the size of the driver, so there's that.

Totally agree with that. But for daily drivers at roughly the $100-140 price point that jaybirds fall into, you can get BT over ear headphones from Sony, BÖHM, and other brands with larger drivers and way more dynamic range for less. 

As long as you're not going to the gym, those are some pretty small drivers for a daily driver set in my opinion.

 

16 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AthrunZ said:

Totally agree with that. But for daily drivers at roughly the $100-140 price point that jaybirds fall into, you can get BT over ear headphones from Sony, BÖHM, and other brands with larger drivers and way more dynamic range for less. 

As long as you're not going to the gym, those are some pretty small drivers for a daily driver set in my opinion.

No. You're wrong. Driver size has absolutely nothing to do with any of that! And I defy you to show me a headphone that actually has better dynamic range at that price point. 

 

Driver size doesn't matter

 

I've had headphones with Balanced armature drivers, and I've had dynamic headphones with 70mm drivers. I've also had headphones with 100+mm drivers. The driver size doesn't have anything to do with anything.


Hey! New SIgnature! 

 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×