PewdiePie, #1 most subcribed youtube channel, alleges youtube is "killing his channel". Says he will delete his channel at 50 million subscribers

Kulegamez

Suuuuuuuure, YT is trying to get their largest channel off the site.

I think he's just trying to rustle some feathers, sparking up drama is one way to do it. Take it as a youtuber's equivalent of a strike.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

OH MY GOD IM LOOSING SUBS YOUTUBE IS KILLING ME ,

no pewdiepie its youtubes inbox algorithm working as intended

not the biggest fan of this guy but honestly he explains it well

Yep he's right on the money again. The thing is that reverting back to the click bait algorithm is not a positive change: the switch to view time encouraged more substantial content but this switch back to just click bait will basically drive in revenue fast (something I think youtube feels it needs, probably desperately so) but it will slowly, yet irreversibly, drive away quality content creators and a huge chunk of the user base.

-------

Current Rig

-------

He can save up on all the trouble and just delete it now.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Maybe if I were a fan of his or had seen any of his videos I would have a different opinion but I find it a little hard to be sympathetic to someone that has been caught selling off his opinion to promote games. Seems like a publicity stunt if anything.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Could it be that Google/YouTube has determined that partnerships are less profitable and have not yet come up with their ideal business model?  That click-baity stuff makes then more money?  That Google, which some may claim is an internet monopoly has become too big to care about what user segment X has to say?

Could it also be that certain YouTube stars, having peaked, are attempting to set themselves up to generate more direct revenue outside of YouTube?  If the guy is that close to 50 million actual subscribers, then he could set up his own web video site and use YouTube, and other services as basically advertising. 

And is it a bit ironic that click-baity YouTube celebrity complains about a click-baity YouTube policy?

Not saying I agree with YouTube or Google.  Some of their policies are cringe worthy.  But they are a private entity that can drive their business into the ground if they so desire. 

Average Joe, however, probably has no sympathy for those making a living on YouTube.  They seem to think it's easy money with little to no work involved.  So when a guy perceived to make a ton of money complains about a policy that cuts into that income, a lot of people just shrug their shoulders.  Which is why I think he's threatening to end that channel.  He's trying to force people to care.  That, or he knows his stuff is stale and needs to rework his product. 

It's also a factor that when a particular business is lucrative, competition will drive a smaller market share for what was once "easy" money.  Google may have also seen that they needed (or wanted) to level the playing field to enable better visibility to new content. And when you change the rules, much like laws, it brings unintended consequences. 

Yeah YT is fucking up for people how it operates, really sucks. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I have noticed that on my YT home page there is just a SLEW of channels and videos I could not care less about. Im constantly clicking X on where it says im not interested. Its to the point where I dont see most of my subscribed channels on the home page anymore. Literally just a handful. So now I have to go into my subscriptions list.

When did it become like this?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

12 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Note: I don't watch his content.

I doubt he would leave YouTube. If he does make a new channel, the followers will just find him again and get the number back up.

To me he seems like the type of person that wants more attention no matter how famous he already is

My PC: I7 4770 (3.4Ghz)

32Gb Corsair Xms3 DDR3

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980ti

Asus Z87-A Motherboard

Samsung 120gb SSD

Seagate 2TB HDD

Aerocool Xpredator Evil Black

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8502026

22 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I have noticed that on my YT home page there is just a SLEW of channels and videos I could not care less about. Im constantly clicking X on where it says im not interested. Its to the point where I dont see most of my subscribed channels on the home page anymore. Literally just a handful. So now I have to go into my subscriptions list.

When did it become like this?

It started doing this to me a few months ago on my shield. It used to show newly uploaded videos from channels I'm subscribed to and videos from channels related to those I'm subscribed to and now it just shows a bunch of political garbage and good mythical morning.  I did watch a few of the political videos but that's only because they flooded my homepage and recommended area out of nowhere.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

So, Pewds is using the old "Give me attention, im shooting myself in the foot" and when the time comes, i wont pull the trigger ^^....

Thing is, if this isnt a joke, then Pewds should be expecting a 2 million subscriber loss in perhaps 1 week alone due to a potential lie.

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It started doing this to me a few months ago on my shield. It used to show newly uploaded videos from channels I'm subscribed to and videos from channels related to those I'm subscribed to and now it just shows a bunch of political garbage.  I did watch a few of the political videos but that's only because they flooded my homepage and recommended area out of nowhere.

Your pc makes me really jealous lol

Just now, Paytend01 said:

Your pc makes me really jealous lol

It was a thing of beauty for a couple months, I'm 1080-less now.

why is he complaining? he already hauls in a FUCKTON of cash already, he could lose 10 mil subscribers and be alright.

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

It was a thing of beauty for a couple months, I'm 1080-less now.

What happened to the 1080's?

1 minute ago, Paytend01 said:

What happened to the 1080's?

Student loans, car payments, rent, and insurance backed me into a corner and forced me to sell a ton of stuff. Basically I had a nice surplus of money and bought them then the bills just kept piling up.

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

Student loans, car payments, rent, and insurance backed me into a corner and forced me to sell a ton of stuff. Basically I had a nice surplus of money and bought them then the bills just kept piling up.

Yay Adulting :P That sucks man, What do you have now?

I doubt youtube is intentionally "killing" channels, I'm not sure what causes those problems though. Maybe they just implemented some really shitty algorithm.

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

2 minutes ago, Paytend01 said:

Yay Adulting :P That sucks man, What do you have now?

Lol, until next week a GT 710.

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Aint that how it always goes? Build a new PC and suddenly bills outta nowhere. After I finished one of my builds My bmw's transmission died. Fun stuff

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Lol, until next week a GT 710.

Oh... FeelsBadMan...Still better than what i have. I have the legendary Gtx Air gpu with the Invisible h440 and a nice clear cpu and motherboard :P

I would really like to know what Linus and Luke think about this subject on the WanShow. Without all this Pewdipie hate and from a more objective view.

1 minute ago, goodtofufriday said:

Aint that how it always goes? Build a new PC and suddenly bills outta nowhere. After I finished one of my builds My bmw's transmission died. Fun stuff

Add tires to my above list, they were basically the nails in my 1080's coffins.

1 minute ago, Paytend01 said:

Oh... FeelsBadMan...Still better than what i have. I have the legendary Gtx Air gpu with the Invisible h440 and a nice clear cpu and motherboard :P

Well at least it's better than having a monster PC and nowhere to live.

I'm highest bidder on a 1080 right now that's got about 4 hours left so hopefully that goes my way.

12 minutes ago, Hilite24 said:

I would really like to know what Linus and Luke think about this subject on the WanShow. Without all this Pewdipie hate and from a more objective view.

Linus said he doesn't see a problem while literally he had a drop of ~300 subs in just one second

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Suuuuuuuure, YT is trying to get their largest channel off the site.

I think he's just trying to rustle some feathers, sparking up drama is one way to do it. Take it as a youtuber's equivalent of a strike.

Largest channel is not necessarily the most profitable one. Not even in raw profits necessarily.

This goes back to which algorithm you're using: previously it was how much time you spend watching the video (this is how pewdiepie got big: lots of relatively long videos). So in hours watched he is the undisputed king, by far.

However unless pewdiepie manually does midrolls for more ads constantly it's still basically 1 ad served at the beginning of the video.

Compare that to click bait: a ton more videos that are quite short and trick the user into watching an add and if they keep watching, they keep getting served adds.

In hours watched a clickbait channel will get a tiny fraction of Pie's numbers, but in total revenue they might be kicking his ass cause there's just far more clicks.

By changing the priority to "engagement" youtube encourage the click bait: practical joke channels, quick shock videos, etc. Channels that are good at making you watch lots of 1 or 2 minutes videos (to give you an older example: Early Epic Meal Time).

In that sense even if piewdiepie gets you more loyal viewers, clickbait channels get you more money overall. Sadly they want to go back to the "viral video" times and click bait. I think this is a mistake since it creates a volatile, worthless viewer base that can be easily taken from you by rivals but well youtube are free to try it again and fail.

-------

Current Rig

-------