CPU Cooler says up to 70w?

nkucz
Go to solution Solved by iRileyx,

The 6600k has a TDP of 91W.

Im no expert but looking at that cooler, unless you have the fan at 100% permenantly, a stock cooler would probably cool better than it.

Hey guys,

I was looking to buy this CPU cooler based solely on aesthetics, however it says it can handle up to only a 70W CPU. However, do you think it would still adequately cool a i5 6600k at stock speeds? I feel like it must work at least as good as the stock intel CPU coolers, but what do you guys think?

CPU Cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106417&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

Hey guys,

I was looking to buy this CPU cooler based solely on aesthetics, however it says it can handle up to only a 70W CPU. However, do you think it would still adequately cool a i5 6600k at stock speeds? I feel like it must work at least as good as the stock intel CPU coolers, but what do you guys think?

CPU Cooler:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106417&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Why would get an unlocked cpu with a wimpy cooler? get a 212 evo for like half the price and use that 

Im no expert but looking at that cooler, unless you have the fan at 100% permenantly, a stock cooler would probably cool better than it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Why would get an unlocked cpu with a wimpy cooler? get a 212 evo for like half the price and use that 

I don't plan to overclock it until the end of it's lifespan, which I will then get a custom water cooling loop. The answer to your question is in the initial post, for aesthetic purposes. 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

16 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Yea I knew that the TDP was 91W I had just read reviews of people using it effectively on "k" series processors and wanted to get a general consensus of what people thought. Oh well probably won't risk it although it would look darn sexy in the build. 

Noctua's similar NH-l9i can take up to 95w cpus, possibly an option? replace fan with the linustechtips one though haha

idk

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Noctua's similar NH-l9i can take up to 95w cpus, possibly an option? replace fan with the linustechtips one though haha

Yes I know and love the NH-l9i! Have used it in a few builds... just going for a chrome (silver) and black look with this build and this cooler popped. Thanks for the recommendation! 

20 minutes ago, nkucz said:

I don't plan to overclock it until the end of it's lifespan, which I will then get a custom water cooling loop. The answer to your question is in the initial post, for aesthetic purposes. 

I would suggest looking at lower power cpus. It is probabbly a bad idea to put that on a 6600k, but ones like the i5 6500 are only 65W. 

If you don't plan on overclocking now, you are probabbly better off getting a locked chip, the gains that overlocking actually makes in things like gaming isn't worth the cost increase, go for an i7 6700, and h110 board or something which is also under 65W and would be cheaper then a 6600k, and z170 board.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

I would suggest looking at lower power cpus. It is probabbly a bad idea to put that on a 6600k, but ones like the i5 6500 are only 65W. 

If you don't plan on overclocking now, you are probabbly better off getting a locked chip, the gains that overlocking actually makes in things like gaming isn't worth the cost increase, go for an i7 6700, and h110 board or something which is also under 65W and would be cheaper then a 6600k, and z170 board.

Yea I will probably just go with the same CPU just locked (so the i3 6600) which is 65W and can handle this cooler, considering this is a build mainly based around aesthetics. 

I would not pair that cooler with a 6600K. Unless that fan in the center is also made out of metal to aid in dissipation. It still would struggle to keep up with the CPU under full load.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 5.12.2016 at 2:03 AM, nkucz said:

Wait, what? You mean end of usability of CPU or its lifetime? Because the difference is from 5 years to 10+ years. I personally wouldn't pick server cooler for desktop build. Noctuas D9 being exception. You might want to look at Cryorigs coolers for aesthetics. Or Phanteks, SilverStone etc. coolers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Wait, what? You mean end of usability of CPU or its lifetime? Because the difference is from 5 years to 10+ years. I personally wouldn't pick server cooler for desktop build. Noctuas D9 being exception. You might want to look at Cryorigs coolers for aesthetics. Or Phanteks, SilverStone etc. coolers.

The end of its lifetime, meaning it is starting to get outdated so I will overclock it to keep up with current generations. I will however look into these other coolers, the one I chose was a server cooler?

1 minute ago, nkucz said:

... the one I chose was a server cooler?

It says 1U in title, so I assumed so.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Intel assigns blanket TDP ratings to their processors. Why is it the i5-6600K has the same TDP as the i7-6700K, even though the i7-6700K has more stuff in it going on to generate more heat? Likewise, why does my i7-6700 have a TDP of 65W when an i3-6100 has the same TDP?

So it's likely the real TDP of a i5-6600K is lower than 91W at stock speeds, but I still wouldn't bet a 70W cooler would be sufficient during heavy workloads.

On 12/4/2016 at 4:24 PM, nkucz said:

Yes I know and love the NH-l9i! Have used it in a few builds... just going for a chrome (silver) and black look with this build and this cooler popped. Thanks for the recommendation! 

You could buy a 212 Evo and paint it with black barbeque paint. Because black dissipates more heat than shiny aluminum it will cool better as an added bonus.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

You could buy a 212 Evo and paint it with black barbeque paint. Because black dissipates more heat than shiny aluminum it will cool better as an added bonus.

The thickening of the fins and resulting airflow reduction might be just as big of a detriment. 

I find that painting the top fin alone gets most of the look with a negligible impact on performance.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

45 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The thickening of the fins and resulting airflow reduction might be just as big of a detriment. 

I find that painting the top fin alone gets most of the look with a negligible impact on performance.

I would like to test this theory of mine. Perhaps after I pick up a HDD and RAM for my FX 4300 machine. The best I could do is testing with a bare stock cooler and then painint the same cooler. The way I see it is that water coolers and old copper automotive radiators were painted for a reason. And I know that dark colors radiate more heat.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

2 hours ago, asand1 said:

38 minutes ago, asand1 said:

I would like to test this theory of mine. Perhaps after I pick up a HDD and RAM for my FX 4300 machine. The best I could do is testing with a bare stock cooler and then painint the same cooler. The way I see it is that water coolers and old copper automotive radiators were painted for a reason. And I know that dark colors radiate more heat.

I'm under the impression that black is "color" which draws and keeps most of heat. And that white is "color" which is coolest. Or actual light blue/blue.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm no scientist, but what I've read on the subject is that black (the absence of color) more readily transfers heat in either direction. White (all colors combined) is the poorest in terms of heat transfer. A white car will be cooler than a black car be cause it doesn't absorb heat. At the same time it will not radiate heat as readily either.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

On 05/12/2016 at 11:03 AM, nkucz said:

If you dont plan to overclock, then look at the i5-6600. It has a lower tdp of 65w and is like $ 20 cheaper. The K just means its unlocked and is specifically for OC.

11 hours ago, sam_fisher007 said:

If you dont plan to overclock, then look at the i5-6600. It has a lower tdp of 65w and is like $ 20 cheaper. The K just means its unlocked and is specifically for OC.

Yes I know. Thanks.