HD600/HD650 or something else ? recommend for ME

JaRi

Hello LTT! :)

i know these recommendation threads are really boring, but i have some questions not just a recommendation :P

first of all im looking at headphones in the HD600 / HD650 price range, and both those models ;)

but im a gamer, and therefore i want a mic too.. thinking about modmic 5.0, but at the same time im thinking i might want a table mic but there are 10000s of those to choose and many different price ranges! :o

im reading the recomendation thread about headphones, and im more confused than answered :o:P 

what i dont get is all this talk about warm and sound mid and bass and stuff.. i game ffs, dont listen to music :D like NEVER...

but my big question is then...

in that price range, if i go with the HD600 what more should i buy, and what? i mean if the price for the headset is around that pricepoint, what amp/dac/whatever should i buy with it ? i dont pr say have a total budget, and i hope i can get some feedback when saying that my "i feel like this is my limit" price for headphones, are the HD650 pricepoint, and therefore kinda know what i should be willing to spend on the rest of the gear :)

if nothing makes sense, please just ask im really noobish but i'll try my best! :)

1 minute ago, JaRi said:

i know these recommendation threads are really boring, but i have some questions not just a recommendation :P

first of all im looking at headphones in the HD600 / HD650 price range, and both those models ;)

but im a gamer, and therefore i want a mic too.. thinking about modmic 5.0, but at the same time im thinking i might want a table mic but there are 10000s of those to choose and many different price ranges! :o

im reading the recomendation thread about headphones, and im more confused than answered :o:P 

what i dont get is all this talk about warm and sound mid and bass and stuff.. i game ffs, dont listen to music :D like NEVER...

in that price range, if i go with the HD600 what more should i buy, and what? i mean if the price for the headset is around that pricepoint, what amp/dac/whatever should i buy with it ? i dont pr say have a total budget, and i hope i can get some feedback when saying that my "i feel like this is my limit" price for headphones, are the HD650 pricepoint, and therefore kinda know what i should be willing to spend on the rest of the gear :)

if nothing makes sense, please just ask im really noobish but i'll try my best! :)

"what i dont get is all this talk about warm and sound mid and bass and stuff.. i game ffs, dont listen to music :D like NEVER.."

Why the hell do you need a high end set of headphones if you don't use them for music, go get a set of Cloud 2's and save your money 

7 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

"what i dont get is all this talk about warm and sound mid and bass and stuff.. i game ffs, dont listen to music :D like NEVER.."

Why the hell do you need a high end set of headphones if you don't use them for music, go get a set of Cloud 2's and save your money 

Positional detail and accuracy

7 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Positional detail and accuracy

yeh no, high end headsets do nothing. I went from a cheap razer headset to a set of m50x's. And trust me cs sounds are no different 

24 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

yeh no, high end headsets do nothing. I went from a cheap razer headset to a set of m50x's. And trust me cs sounds are no different 

Lol

I have owned over 50 headphones

They do sound completely different

And m50 are junk

1 hour ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

M50x is not "high end", nor is it known for positional accuracy. Congratulations on bringing nothing to the discussion.

Ignoring the fact that you probably don't actually need such a high end headphone, the Audio Technicha AD series would do you a lot better. Namely the AD1000x as they compete directly in price. Amazing imaging and width, and perfect sound for footsteps and vocals to not get swamped by explosions and other shit. If you're using them for gaming mostly, and aren't exactly an audio snob they'd be your best bet.

Don't tread on me. I squish, and white liquid comes out. It's icky, trust me.

I totally forgot to mention. I watch a ton of TV shows and movies too! 

23 hours ago, JaRi said:

I purchased the HD650 from Amazon.co.uk USING THE LTT AFFILIATE URL

On 24th November. Delivered last week. For GB£232.00

I've previously been Using the Corsair 1500 vengeance (two sets one for home; one for office). For 3 years.

I can only say: amazing set of headphones.

Its a bit odd moving to open backed and hearing things outside the head set. But the build quality and sound quality is brilliant even without an Amp on my X99 Deluxe board. But also to go with my HTC VIVE system.

I've used it a bit for online gaming and some music but am very much looking forward to Christmas.

I would say. If you go HD650 you won't be unhappy.

My ModMic arrives this week. Should of been last week but there was a delivery delay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T6XUL8S

I also bought this to hang the thing on. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IGNML40

The only comment I would have is colouration. If they did jet black and headband I'd buy another HD650 potentially.

Basically, the HD650 is an amazing headset for someone like you. Literally like going out and buying an Aston Martin. That is how I would describe it.

Whereas the Corsair Vengeance 1500 would be like a Ford Focus of headsets. Ok. Nothing to write home about - middle of the range. But not in the same league in sound quality.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

23 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

The quality of my online games has gone up since upgrading to HD650.

I hear things I did not hear before and generally the immersion level increased. Despite them being open backed which you get used to after a while.

If you have the budget, why not buy some?

Isn't that the motto of LTT.

As I said earlier. Now I have a decent set of headphones I'm going to listen to some music over the christmas holidays. Things I would not normally listen to.

Only if you cannot afford the budget would you not buy them in my view. I look at them as an investment. For my happiness and to improve the quality of my life and what I listen to.

I think I've never had a high quality headset before. Now I can listen to things as its supposed to be listened to.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

okay, you guys got me to make a final decision! i am going to buy the HD650.!

but now you got a feel of my budget and what im willing to spend on things, to back to cars, i like "some crazy expensive cars", but my bank says aston martin only..

what should i buy to it ? i mean do i need dac, or amp or what? :S

and a recommendation on a GOOD mic to go with it ?(again think my pricerange) might stream in the future :P

3 hours ago, JaRi said:

okay, you guys got me to make a final decision! i am going to buy the HD650.!

but now you got a feel of my budget and what im willing to spend on things, to back to cars, i like "some crazy expensive cars", but my bank says aston martin only..

what should i buy to it ? i mean do i need dac, or amp or what? :S

and a recommendation on a GOOD mic to go with it ?(again think my pricerange) might stream in the future :P

The combo to beat for the HD650 is the Schiit Modi Multibit and Vali 2. Skip the DAC if your onboard is functional, or buy it later if money is tight, since DACs make the least difference in the chain.

4 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

BAM! $30 headphones that are probably better :)

It's clear you don't know a thing about audio if you think that those two even live in the same universe as the HD650.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

It's clear you don't know a thing about audio if you think that those two even live in the same universe as the HD650.

Have you heard them? Audio is, after all personal preference, and I prefer those over Audeze EL-8s.

8 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Have you heard them? Audio is, after all personal preference, and I prefer those over Audeze EL-8s.

The EL-8 is crap, or at least the first iteration was; so that means nothing.

Audio is not all personal preference. Things like technicalities and lack of coloration can be objectively graded. Whether you "prefer" accurate sound is another matter, but recommending fucking plastic superlux shit as an alternative to the HD 650 is absurd. If the HD 6xx sound signature is not for the OP there are better options that if nothing else have better build quality and more even treble.

Ugh.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

The EL-8 is crap, or at least the first iteration was; so that means nothing.

Audio is not all personal preference. Things like technicalities and lack of coloration can be objectively graded. Whether you "prefer" accurate sound is another matter, but recommending fucking plastic superlux shit as an alternative to the HD 650 is absurd. The the HD 6xx sound signature is not for the OP there are better options that if nothing else have better build quality and more even treble.

Ugh.

The EL-8s are the only "higher end" headphones I have heard, and to my ears, sounded like a muffled violent mess. The EL-8 being crap is not consistent to other reviews. I guess I prefer inaccurate sound.

Just now, ShadySocks said:

The EL-8s are the only "higher end" headphones I have heard, and to my ears, sounded like a muffled violent mess. The EL-8 being crap is not consistent to other reviews. I guess I prefer inaccurate sound.

Your impression is spot on. The only way to reconcile your experience with reviews is to realize those reviews are garbage and probably a product of the hype/circlejerk mentality that pervades high-end audio.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

Your impression is spot on. The only way to reconcile your experience with reviews is to realize those reviews are garbage and probably a product of the hype/circlejerk mentality that pervades high-end audio.

You just saved high end audio for me :) .

On other forums I got lots of crap for preferring the Superlux headphones over the EL 8s, which led to me thinking high end audio is just about price. Now I know why anyone would ever want to get into it, however I take the EL-8s being crap, with good reviews with a grain of salt.

1 minute ago, ShadySocks said:

You just saved high end audio for me :) .

On other forums I got lots of crap for preferring the Superlux headphones over the EL 8s, which led to me thinking high end audio is just about price. Now I know why anyone would ever want to get into it, however I take the EL-8s being crap, with good reviews with a grain of salt.

A lot of people believe that it is about price; the last 5-10 years have seen this come to a head with multiple headphones over $1000 coming to market. Not too long ago the HD 650 was considered "expensive" at a mere $500. It seems that shit needs to be expensive to be taken seriously. The real shame is that this is getting in the way of meaningful technological advances.

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

It seems that shit needs to be expensive to be taken seriously.

My impression of your first reply to me :)

Edit: and Pomfinator

thanks for the info about an AMP to buy!

but what about a mic for it? do a mic need dac/amp/something-3rd ?

7 hours ago, JaRi said:

thanks for the info about an AMP to buy!

but what about a mic for it? do a mic need dac/amp/something-3rd ?

What kind of mic are you looking at?

3.5mm, USB, XLR?

A mic needs a ADC (analog to digital convertor) , but with 3.5mm your mobo has that, with USB it is built in. With XLR you generally need phanthom power, so you need a interface that can do that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

54 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

What kind of mic are you looking at?

3.5mm, USB, XLR?

A mic needs a ADC (analog to digital convertor) , but with 3.5mm your mobo has that, with USB it is built in. With XLR you generally need phanthom power, so you need a interface that can do that.

I use xlr to phantom psu then  xlr to 3.5mm lol,

after removing mixer, speaker amp, and eq out of the equation I figured why buy new mic when I had all but ppsu

8 minutes ago, pas008 said:

I use xlr to phantom psu then  xlr to 3.5mm lol,

after removing mixer, speaker amp, and eq out of the equation I figured why buy new mic when I had all but ppsu

well you can do that, Phantom PSUs are just a bit rare. Atleast here in Denmark, ofc there are some, but it is way easier to find a interface with phantom

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.