Samsung Galaxy S IV UNVEILED!

Aadi

Hey guys, what do you think of the brand-new SAMSUNG GALAXY S IV!!!!!!!!!! I'm literally jumping up and down...what do you guys think about this phone and how it stacks up to the rest of the market (iPhone :(, Sony XPERIA Z, and HTC One)

The best way to predict the future is to invent it

Meh, not excited. It's another phone added to the bundle of other great phones out there. Would love to have one don't get me wrong, but I'm perfectly content with my HTC DNA, hell I would still be happy with my HTC HD2 if it didn't die on me...

For such a high end device to be all plastic is just wrong. Software features seem pretty useless/gimmicky to me. Sure the specs look good, but having things like a 13mp camera & 8 core processor are only there to look good on paper, there's no real world benefit. We've got to a point where every smartphone on the market is powerful enough for any real world usage, there needs to be innovation in other areas. Didn't happen with this phone. Apple are so far behind now, interested what they'll do to catch up, but hope they don't lol.

I actually went to the event and had some hands on time with it. This phone just feels outright amazing. Here are a few photos I took of the device.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69767576@N08/sets/72157632999718306/with/8559067148/

The phone was ridiculously light and the OS was extremely snappy. It almost felt like I wasn't on an Android phone.

I actually went to the event and had some hands on time with it. This phone just feels outright amazing. Here are a few photos I took of the device.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69767576@N08/sets/72157632999718306/with/8559067148/

The phone was ridiculously light and the OS was extremely snappy. It almost felt like I wasn't on an Android phone.

Snappy OS? The OS on the S2 is extremely snappy. Any mid-high end phone released in the past 2 years has enough processing power & RAM to have a snappy OS. Hardly a selling point anymore. I'd much rather a battery that can last me 16hours of solid use than an overpowered 8 core processor.

Perhaps snappy wasn't what I was trying to get across. Maybe fluid is a bit more of an accurate definition. It just felt different. My current phone runs on a Snapdragon S4, so yes, I have a pretty snappy phone, but the way the S IV felt was, a bit more natural I suppose. Really don't know how to explain it.

I just bought a s3... for $300 unlocked and outright! don't care at that price

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I like the phone and all, but I think I'm going to be sticking with my iPhone for a while longer. I like the weight of the phone, you can feel your money spent in it. If you get what I mean.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

It's a winner in my book. The specs are impressive obviously, but what I love most is that Samsung remains committed to removable storage, removable batteries, hardware buttons for menu, back, and home, and (presumably) unlocked bootloaders.

Plastic construction has never bothered me; it's not like I plan on tossing my phone down a staircase. If it stays in one piece with normal use, it's good build quality in my eyes.

Alas, I'll be sticking with my SIII for a while. Which isn't a problem; I love my SIII.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

IMHO the last good phone sammy made was the S2. Design went downhill after that as well as build quality. Why can't they just make a nice looking phone?

The HTC One seems like a better phone in almost every aspect, except maybe Sense

Not interested in this phone.

Will be getting either an Xperia Z or HTC One, haven't decided yet.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I'd take the HTC One any day. The Xperia Z is a nice phone but viewing angles are very bad, it has gloss all round (which I personally dislike) and do you feel like unplugging every hole before you can use it? I think it's very obnoxious.

The HTC is the first choice, but really it comes down to availability when my contract turns over next month.

i don't mind the covers, using the Xperia S and I've had a great user experience with it.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Ahh, my contract will be running out in a few months, and when I refresh it I can get that phone close to free :) And my S2 can go into retirement ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Here's my take. I really like the screen size and resolution and I think its sharp. Perhaps they could go with some premium materials into the design, but things like aluminium can be scratched more easily and attracts fingerprints like nobody's business. The Touchwiz UI used to be gimmicky, but I have somewhat grown to like it, and they've made some improvements over the previous version. It also includes a number of software features which is good. Like Apple said, it's not just enough to have good hardware, the hardware must work well with the software.They also took many features from the Note II and added it to the S IV line. Yes, some features are gimmicky and don't save much time, but there are also some features (such as dualview camera) which should have been implemented in phones for years. (Whenever I took video on my iPhone 4, I got so pissed because I couldn't change the video to the front camera while recording.) The hardware is very good too, but that is not really what makes the Galaxy line shine. IT is the combination of hardware and software features that make it stand out from most phones. This is just my opinion, nothing more

Also, if you remember, the Galaxy S III plastic build was actually very rugged and survived numerous fall and water tests with just some scratches. That said I also want to mention that this phone is still very user customizable, having a microSD card for storage using a STANDARD Micro-USB for charging (Silly Apple :P) and a removable battery. It also has 4gLTE connectivity, and is going to be the biggest Samsung launch, launching in 155 countries with support for 327 carriers

Personally, I would buy an HTC One or a Samsung Galaxy s4...I would have to wait for launch and see exactly which one trumps the other

the S3 already felt a bit gimmicky, the S4 just takes that further. The phone I still personally want is a Nexus 4 though I wouldn't mind having an HTC One. My favorite phone manufacturer is LG, every phone that I have owned that was made by LG lasted quite a long time without problems, I had two Samsung phones and both of them were really buggy, also had a Motorola and I pretty much returned it the next day. It seems like HTC hasn't had a good selling phone since the Evo 4g

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

i can already tell you what all the major carriers in the US are going to have and its going to be the version with the snapdragon processor, so 95% of the country wont have the 8 core version. the same thing happened with the S3, the dual core version with the snapdragon processor was only sold by carriers and the international unlocked version that you cant get with a contract had the exynos 4 in it. its going to be the same thing this time around too

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Meh, not excited. It's another phone added to the bundle of other great phones out there. Would love to have one don't get me wrong, but I'm perfectly content with my HTC DNA, hell I would still be happy with my HTC HD2 if it didn't die on me...
+1 for Meh

I really was against getting an LG phone (not sure why, tbh), but after I got my Nexus 4, I was so very very pleased. Just wish I didn't have to put a screen protector on this thing, touch on glass was a much better experience :(

13 MP rear camera is awesome. And I love the dual camera function and the hover function to scroll pages so you don't have to touch your screen if you hands are dirty.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

13 MP rear camera is awesome. And I love the dual camera function and the hover function to scroll pages so you don't have to touch your screen if you hands are dirty.
More mega pixels isn't really doing much if the sensor hasn't been improved. Also, you're going to have to first unlock your phone to use it, which means picking it up with those dirty fingers :p

Personally I think all these things are absolutely useless.

I'm using the iPhone 4 atm, 3ish years ago it was hands down the best choice. Over the last month or so I've been gearing up for a new phone, so I decided to wait for the S4 and iPhone 5s / 6. I'd already decided what would make my mind up;

I'd stay with apple if they update their UI in the next release.

I'd swap to Samsung if they improve battery life abd don't focus on a gimmick feature.

Well, Samsung dissapointed me, the ball is in apple's court, if they can't bring UI updates then I don't know what I'll do, maybe jailbreak and iPhone or go for WP8. But I'm certainly not buying and ugly phone with half a day's battery if it means abandoning the music & apps I've bought.

i7 3770K @ 4.6Ghz, MSI Z77 GD-65 , Asus GTX 670 @ 1140mhz, Kingston HyperX Predator  2400mhz, Crucial M4 512GB, Xonar Essence STX, Corsair AX750, Corsair 650D