Minors playing M rated games. How do you feel?

Axeonelite

It’s that time again. Time for a trip to your local store, whether it be the Best Buy, EB Games, Gamestop, Or even Walmart. Once you get there you see  A child asking their parent to buy them some M rated video game. You’re infuriated. “How does this child even know what that game is?” “Games like this aren’t made for children” “They have a rating system for a reason!” You proclaim in your head. Then in the midst of your self-righteous monologue you hear it. Their parent finally does “Sure!” Or “Whatever, you can have it.”

“WHAT IN THE WORLD!” Your jaw drops to the floor. “How dare the parents allow their children to play that violent, sexual, experience, Why would they even allow such a thing?

The problem is not in the rating. Whether it be M for Video Games, R for Movies, or TV-MA for televised programing. The ESRB and MPAA ratings give us a good guideline as to what the content within is. But their rating is not the issue. The rating system in any country is still an opinion. The Rating is not meant to imply that no one under the age on the box can not handle the content contained in that Game or Movie.

But let me be very clear that gaming today is not the innocent happy-go-lucky experiences they used to be. Today, games are filled with realism in many forms, Violence, Sexual interactions, and drug & Alcohol usage.

But these things are not new things people are being exposed to. Humans have experienced this things for many generations. Even children are being exposed to this things at younger and younger ages. A lot of parents and adults worry that children will act out the things they do in games in real life. The same has been said thousands of times about movies and television as well.

The ratio of people who view violent movies and play violent video games versus the people who act on what they see or even just people who commit these acts without every playing a violent video gaming or below average TV and movie viewing is not enough to cause alarm. Yet, since video games aren’t as understood or accepted by some as movies and T.V. are, video games get more hate than they should.

Each person has the right to choose what type of content they will consume. And I stand by that statement myself. But as far as children go I also believe that if you are living in your parents home, you do have to abide by their rules.

Many Children who play M rated games, Watch R rated movies, and TV-MA, content do so because it’s trendy. Which is true, many people are attracted to the violence or whatever Mature theme is in that content. But that being said they are other video games to play. Many Children claim that only M rated games are coming out nowadays.

In Metacritic's list for the top video game released by Score in 2016 as of the time of uploading this video only 33 of the top 100 games were rated M. And that includes the same game being listed multiple times for different systems. So there are clearly other options of games to play.

But that being said people are going to be attracted to what they like. 

What do you guys think? 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

As a minor, I think that games like Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. are fine for any average maturity level 11-12+ year old. Games like GTA I'd say maybe 14-15, again depends on the maturity level of the child. Also depends on personality of the kid, and if they want GTA for the amazing open-world gameplay or for the ability to murder people and check out strippers...

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Axeonelite said:

It’s that time again. Time for a trip to your local store, whether it be the Best Buy, EB Games, Gamestop, Or even Walmart. Once you get there you see  A child asking their parent to buy them some M rated video game. You’re infuriated. “How does this child even know what that game is?” “Games like this aren’t made for children” “They have a rating system for a reason!” You proclaim in your head. Then in the midst of your self-righteous monologue you hear it. Their parent finally does “Sure!” Or “Whatever, you can have it.”

“WHAT IN THE WORLD!” Your jaw drops to the floor. “How dare the parents allow their children to play that violent, sexual, experience, Why would they even allow such a thing?

The problem is not in the rating. Whether it be M for Video Games, R for Movies, or TV-MA for televised programing. The ESRB and MPAA ratings give us a good guideline as to what the game contains. But their rating is not the issue. The rating system in any country is still an opinion. The Rating is not meant to imply that no one under the age on the box can not handle the content contained in that Game or Movie.

But let me be very clear that gaming today is not the innocent happy-go-lucky experiences they used to be. Today, games are filled with realism in many forms, Violence, Sexual interactions, and drug & Alcohol usage.

But these things are not new things people are being exposed to. Humans have experienced this things for many generations. Even children are being exposed to this things at younger and younger ages. A lot of parents and adults worry that children will act out the things they do in games in real life. The same has been said thousands of times about movies and television as well.

The ratio of people who view violent movies and play violent video games versus the people who act on what they see or even just people who commit these acts without every playing a violent video gaming or below average TV and movie viewing is not enough to cause alarm. Yet, since video games aren’t as understood or accepted by some as movies and T.V. are, video games get more hate than they should.

Each person has the right to choose what type of content they will consume. And I stand by that statement myself. But as far as children go I also believe that if you are living in your parents home, you do have to abide by their rules.

Many Children who play M rated games, Watch R rated movies, and TV-MA, content do so because it’s trendy. Which is true, many people are attracted to the violence or whatever Mature theme is in that content.But that being said they are other video games to play. Many Children claim that only M rated games are coming out nowadays.

In Metacritics list for the top video game released by Score in 2016 as of the time of uploading this video only 33 of the top 100 games were rated M. And that includes the same game being listed multiple times for different systems. So there are clearly other options of games to play.

But that being said people are going to be attracted to what they like. 

What do you guys think? 

To be honest i really don't think they would listen to reason. Although some children should obey their parents, they will still most likely want to rebel. Kids will be kids, just as I am sure you have done the same thing you listed above. To be honest with you I think maybe its there to have bad influences on children because they are more susceptible to things that parents don't like. It's nothing we can change, but I do believe parents should care more about how their children grow up.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

The rating is an indication - everyone is different and children can have different maturity levels. It's up to the parent to try the game for himself and decide if it's appropriate for his child to play. All it takes is being a responsible parent.

On a side note, I think the biggest "danger" is psychological more than practical - only a really, really stupid child would try to enact GTA, but if you give that game to someone who isn't mature enough for it it may affect their outlook on things more negatively than it should.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the parent should do his/hers research before agreeing, or not, to buy the little snot's game

I agree 100%. Some Workers at Gamestop said one of their biggest joy is telling Parents what GTA contains and then, they in turn, not getting it. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The rating is an indication - everyone is different and children can have different maturity levels. It's up to the parent to try the game for himself and decide if it's appropriate for his child to play. All it takes is being a responsible parent.

On a side note, I think the biggest "danger" is psychological more than practical - only a really, really stupid child would try to enact GTA, but if you give that game to someone who isn't mature enough for it it may affect their outlook on things more negatively than it should.

Well put friend. The mental state of a child is very fluid and can thus be molded easily and that is most peoples concern. But if the child knows right from wrong in the real world I think they would be fine. 

Spoiler

When I was 14, I bought myself Grand Theft Auto V. It was one of the best decisions of my whole life. Amazing game, but with certain questionable elements. To be honest, I disliked certain scenes, especially the mission by the book, which I skipped completely. Overall, I'd say that GTA V is fine for those under age 17, as long as they're mature and mentally sound enough to realize that all that you do in Los Santos is completely virtual, and never to be repeated in the real world.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

When I was 14, I bought myself Grand Theft Auto V. It was one of the best decisions of my whole life. Amazing game, but with certain questionable elements. To be honest, I disliked certain scenes, especially the mission by the book, which I skipped completely. Overall, I'd say that GTA V is fine for those under age 17, as long as they're mature and mentally sound enough to realize that all that you do in Los Santos is completely virtual, and never to be repeated in the real world.

Only questionable thing I would say as being in GTA V would be the torture scene with Trevor. I had to get someone to beat that for me. 

Spoiler

Just now, Axeonelite said:

Only questionable thing I would say as being in GTA V would be the torture scene with Trevor. I had to get someone to beat that for me. 

that's what I was referring to

I skipped it completely

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

btw I could never stand those middle and elementary schoolers who played GTA and COD, IF they get exposed to it like that before being educated then they get desensitized. And getting desensitized to this shit leads to a shitton of problems. 

Yes. Desensitization is a major problem with this. 

Spoiler

Just now, zMeul said:

buys kid Five Nights at Freddy's, complains kid now needs psychiatric counseling - parenting 2016

That should be a yearbook quote. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

dude... TF2 is rated M.

My problem isn't with the parents who do this, it's with the double standard. That drugs, sex and violence are taboo subjects and don't get discussed in an objective manner, so when kids experience this shit they go wild. It wouldn't be a problem if this stuff was properly discussed with them beforehand

It pisses me off that kids do this shit because it's cool, but just saying no to them isn't going to fix the problem, they're just gonna get mad at you. Fix the system that makes this shit in the first place

btw I could never stand those middle and elementary schoolers who played GTA and COD, IF they get exposed to it like that before being educated then they get desensitized. And getting desensitized to this shit leads to a shitton of problems. 

Did you know overwatchs rating included tabaco use because mcree smokes a cigar

My life

Just now, Axeonelite said:

That should be a yearbook quote. 

Don't leave out my post, tell me your opinion on what i posted in this forum topic.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

I'm from Brazil and age restrictions to anything but alcohol and cigarettes really isn't enforced at all, I have played games and watched movies that were for higher age from mine all through my childhood, even at the cinema, game shops also don't bother you about age restrictions in fact I was rather surprised when I lived in the United Kingdom for a year at the age of sixteen and I went to GameStop buy Devil May Cry 4 and I was asked for my passport to prove I was 16 years old to buy it since I had never went through such thing haha.

I personally feel it depends on the the kind of education the family gives you, my dad always made me read a ton of books that were for adults, from Dostoievski to Goethe, so I always were quite educated for my age and I completely knew how to distinguish reality from fantasy even when I was 10ish years old playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time on the PSX.

I don't feel that ever made any negative impact in my life but like I said I had very present parents in my life who taught me better, now I am 22 years old and I can buy anything I want so it hardly matters... but I don't think I'll be too strict to a future children of mine about this kind of thing.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

First whoever sold you that game at 14 that is a fireable offense, like selling alcohol to a minor.

There is more then just violence in GTA  V, it also has the whole strip clubs with boobs everywhere.

Basically the same as handing your kid playboys which is just wrong.

@Axeonelite you will get very biased info from this particular forum because over half of the users are most likely under 18, the average age of the userbase is probabbly about 14-16 years old.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Don't leave out my post, tell me your opinion on what i posted in this forum topic.

I am not obligated to reply to any post and you posting another entry just to incite me to will get you no where fast... Normally but I am not normal.

I agree with you post for the most part but children don't want to be rebel. They wanted to be treated like equals. To me that means reasoning things about with them, parents and children, as equals. 

Granted even Adults don't treat their peers that way so it's just chalked up to bad parenting and bad people.

Spoiler

I was allowed to start playing "M rated" games when I was 10 lol, GTA IV and Saints Row 2 were my go to games lol. Never got into FPS games, I do plan on trying Overwatch.. but eh price tag doesn't appeal to me.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

7 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

It pisses me off that kids do this shit because it's cool, but just saying no to them isn't going to fix the problem, they're just gonna get mad at you. Fix the system that makes this shit in the first place

Let the "little shit" get mad and hold their breath. Their brain is going to say "you're an idiot, I'm taking over".

To the topic, if a parent buys the game for their child without knowing what's in the game, they forfeit the right to complain. I wouldn't sell the game to a minor even if the parent were there, unless the parent is the one who will be playing it. Just let the parent know what's involved and let them make a decision.

As far as the rating goes, it's good enough I would say, though, GameStop should require their employees to explain the game as part of their sales. Hell, I'm 25 and I still have my ID checked when I walk into a bar. Why should a little kid get an M-rated game without having HIS license checked? Besides the fact that he doesn't have one.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

iv always played what i wanted to play, watched what iv wanted to watch and listened to what i want to listen to. my parents have been fine with me playing anything i feel like in terms of games, GTA, CS:GO, Hotline Miami... because games /= reality. what you see and do in a game may influence you, sure, but so do TV and music to basically the same extent. i have always seen games as a way to do the things you cant IRL. if i want to go on a rampage and run over 50 people i boot up GTA-V, i dont get in a car and run over 50 people IRL because thats fucking retarded and if you even cocider that a viable option you shouldent be walking free on the street. think what you want, feel what you want but dont DO everything you want IRL, do it where your actions have little to no consiquence.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

There comes a time when a parent just doesn't give a damn anymore about whatever their kids want or do.

The ratings are just "guidelines", they are meant to help parents know if they want their kids exposed to certain content that they themselves might find objectionable.

Quite frankly, my 5 year old nephew and niece watch movies like America Pie, the Scary Movies and many other movies like that, which include full frontal nudity, sex scenes, murders and what not. They shouldn't be watching those movies, but they do.

If they were old enough to play game without having the attention span of a goldfish, they'd probably be playing mature rated games too, like my 8 year old niece who plays GTA 5 on PS4.

So really, it's just a matter of if you care or not. It will not make the kids any worst off if they watch or play mature rated content.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Remember, Team Fortress 2 is rated M for reasons that cannot apply to it today.

That being said, as long as you're actually raising your child what's real and what isn't, I couldn't care less what games they play. I was exposed to Grand Theft Auto from a young age. Didn't do anything to me as a human being.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.