Is 120GB SSD enough for 64bit Windows 10?

Therim
Go to solution Solved by Energycore,
12 minutes ago, deniz.erim said:

I'm planning to make a fast-budget pc but I'm not sure if 120GB is enough for windows 10. Does anybody know if it's enough?

Windows 10, the base OS, only takes about 8GB of storage space.

My 120GB SSD has 74GB of stuff in it, and that's mostly skyrim with mods and other games :P

I'm planning to make a fast-budget pc but I'm not sure if 120GB is enough for windows 10. Does anybody know if it's enough?

1 minute ago, deniz.erim said:

Yes it is enough but you'll be left with around 60 or more GB left to use.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Its more than enough. windows 10 is only around 15-20gb

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, deniz.erim said:

Windows 10 requires 16 GB of free hard disk space

Yes it's enough for Windows, but once you start installing Office and other prigrams, it'll start to fill up really quick. If you're installing just the OS, you'll be fine. If you will also have an HDD, I would recommend changing your documebts, downloads, pictures, and music shortcuts to the HDD. Otherwise you'll find yourself out of space.

For not much extra, you can always get a 240gb SSD. The price difference for PNY from 120 to 240 is less than 20 bucks.

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Yes it's enough for Windows, but once you start installing Office and other prigrams, it'll start to fill up really quick. If you're installing just the OS, you'll be fine. If you will also have an HDD, I would recommend changing your documebts, downloads, pictures, and music shortcuts to the HDD. Otherwise you'll find yourself out of space.

For not much extra, you can always get a 240gb SSD. The price difference for PNY from 120 to 240 is less than 20 bucks.

I was planning to get 1TB SSHD along with the 120 GB SSD, do you think SSHD is good or not?

7 minutes ago, deniz.erim said:

I was planning to get 1TB SSHD along with the 120 GB SSD, do you think SSHD is good or not?

No SSHD. I've had a lot of clients come in with those in their PC with no boot device found. When one part fails, the whole thing fails. Plus, your going to bottle neck your drive. Instead of one SATA III for an SSD and one SATA III for your HDD, you're using one for both. I'm sure the ability to read and write simultaneous will be non existant. You'll restrict performance.

The 1TB WD SSHD is 100 bucks in my shop. Or you can get a 240GB PNY 1311 and a 1TB Seagate HDD for darn near the same price. Less points of failure. Increased performance over bottleneck on single SATA port.

12 minutes ago, deniz.erim said:

My 120GB SSD has 74GB of stuff in it, and that's mostly skyrim with mods and other games :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The base might be 8 GB but once you install updates it much more. I have attached a windows VM I have on my Linux box with only  Chrome (355 MB) and photoshop (749) lets round that to 1GB.

I have a 32 GB drive for it 16.9 GB (16 GB with the two apps removed) used 14.5 GB free. This means that 16GB of space was taken by windows + updates.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

The base might be 8 GB but once you install updates it much more. I have attached a windows VM I have on my Linux box with only  Chrome (355 MB) and photoshop (749) lets round that to 1GB.

I have a 32 GB drive for it 16.9 GB (16 GB with the two apps removed) used 14.5 GB free. This means that 16GB of space was taken by windows + updates.

Hmm let's see. Keep in mind I disabled the Windows update service. Yeah my Windows folder is 13.5GB. Let's call it 16 for good measure.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Hmm let's see. Keep in mind I disabled the Windows update service. Yeah my Windows folder is 13.5GB. Let's call it 16 for good measure.

That would leave 100GB for stuff and as newer games are up and over 50GB it's really not that much space.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

That would leave 100GB for stuff and as newer games are up and over 50GB it's really not that much space.

i was going to say the same - use the SSD only for windows and some apps plus a fast HDD for games and media.

120gb is more than enough if you do it that way

• 4 years later...
On 12/4/2016 at 10:27 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

20 bucks is a lot if youre going for a budget build, especially in third world countries  20 bucks may feel like 20 bucks for you, but 20 bucks feels like 200 bucks for them since the minimum wage in third world countries is ussually much lower than in first world countries.