MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced for 2018 release

press release:

The first standalone single-player MechWarrior title in development for PC in nearly 15 years, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will feature intense PvE ‘Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice. Featuring an advancing timeline starting in the year 3015, players will adopt the role of a green MechWarrior mercenary thrust into combat as the Third Succession War continues to fracture the Inner Sphere; the vast region of colonized space surrounding Earth. Victory, prestige, and profit will not only require skill on the battlefield, but in the maintenance and enhancement of your BattleMechs.

Set for release in 2018, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is under development by a dedicated and separate development team at Piranha Games using Unreal Engine 4. MechWarrior Online, Piranha’s existing F2P multiplayer-focused tactical ‘Mech combat game (built with CryEngine) will continue its ongoing live development by the MWO team at Piranha.

"Our main goal with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is to provide fans with a standalone, story-driven single-player experience that allows for a great amount of flexibility in terms of player choice, built on a foundation of the intense, tactical ‘Mech combat the franchise is known for," said Russ Bullock, president of Piranha Games. “Along with the release of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in 2018 we're going to continue supporting our existing MechWarrior Online game and its fanbase with new updates and regular content releases. MWO is now in its fifth year of development and operation, and there’s still a lot of really cool stuff planned for it. For fans who have been waiting for the return of a true single-player MechWarrior game though, we are really happy to announce MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries."

MechWarrior: OnLine saw some troubled development

the story goes like this:

MicroSoft was the last owner of the MechWarrior IP, they didn't do anything with the licence for a decade - last game they published in the BattleTech universe was MechWarrior 4: Vengeance Mercenaries, launched in 2000 2002

2007 - Jordan Weisman, founder of Smith&Tinker and previously founder of the disbanded FASA Corporation negotiated the license back from MicroSoft

Piranha Games Inc licences the MechWarrior title and begins development on MechWarrior: OnLine

about the same time, Smith&Tinker were starting development on what would've been the original MechWarrior 5

2011 - MW:O got a publisher in the form of Infinite Game Publishing (IGP); PGI buys the MechWarrior IP from Smith&Tinker after they fail to get funding

November 2012 - Smith&Tinker closes shop

October 2013 - OPEN BETA launched

September 2013 - game got released

even since OPEN BETA it was clear that people playing the game were not happy with the game's direction, they were losing players big time

September 2014 - IGP relinquishes publishing rights back to PGI; IGP files for bankrupcy

2015 - MW:O gets a STEAM release: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342200/

I started playing MW:O back in CLOSED BETA but left soon after OPEN BETA - I never got to see how PGI steered back the game after IGP left. I lost interested

mechwarrior_by_kapotun.jpg

Edited by zMeul

Your forgetting Mechassault 1, which was around 2001-2002 (with the earlier version being one of the 3 games that allowed Xbox to be soft modded), and Mechassault 2 Lone wolf from around 2004-2005

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Your forgetting Mechassault

those games are under BattleTech universe but are not MechWarrior titles ;)

if memory serves, MS still holds the Mech Commander rights - man, I'd love me some Mech Commander

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

When you have the same mechs, and your called a mechwarrior. Might as well be.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Your forgetting Mechassault 1, which was around 2001-2002 (with the earlier version being one of the 3 games that allowed Xbox to be soft modded), and Mechassault 2 Lone wolf from around 2004-2005

What's the difference between mechassault and Mech warrior? I had Mechassault 1 on xbox (still do, and recently bought mechassault 2)

what's the difference and where does everything go together? I'm so lost....

In the first video at 1:23 why does the exhaust comes out of the robot's nipples? 

so many questions; so little time

Just now, fpo said:

In the first video at 1:23 why does the exhaust comes out of the robot's nipples?

it's a 500y old design :D

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's a 500y old design :D

THAT RAISES MORE QUESTIONS!!!

How did it last 500 years? My Immersion is being ruined.

I need MxR to find some mods to help my immersion. 

In case someone doesn't know of MechWarrior for whatever reason or wants to revisit its history DF Retro has a good episode for it:

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

if memory serves, MS still holds the Mech Commander rights - man, I'd love me some Mech Commander

Ya'll be forgetting Mechwarrior: Living legends, WHICH IS ALSO BACK BABY!

[EDIT]

Pants status: creamed.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

Saw the video yday was surprised about it. Completely forgot about the game.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Saw the video yday was surprised about it. Completely forgot about the game.

i have my doubts about PGI making the new game.

And they plan to use Unreal 4 Engine which is also a mature game engine

but even the current game play shit when the Cry Engine 3 is a solid game engine and yet i7 rigs with GTX 980Ti will run just shit.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

off topic: i wish someone would buy the Age of empires IP from MS

on topic: Don't know about you guys but i'm more interested in this single player game than the online one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, dragoon20005 said:

i have my doubts about PGI making the new game.

And they plan to use Unreal 4 Engine which is also a mature game engine

but even the current game play shit when the Cry Engine 3 is a solid game engine and yet i7 rigs with GTX 980Ti will run just shit.

Game runs fine at 4k for me. and mind you, they use a "test" version of the cry engine. Not the full one. imho they should port the entire game to a proper engine like frostbyte or unreal 4. Game is OK but lack of vehicles or other elements take the game down together with some idiotic design decisions that make the supposed end game (the faction wars) completely useless and unplayable to me. corridor shooter maps are a dumb idea and why not use domination there I have no clue. Still, I have played over 400 hours and I have fun. I am currently on a hiatus  (command modern air and naval operations ftw) but I will be back son enough. 

Main rig: Shockwave - MSI Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO, i7-6700k, 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM, KFA2 GTX 980ti HOF, Corsair RM1000 PSU, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, WD 7200RPM 3TB, Corsair Air 540 White, ASUS P278Q 1440p 144Hz display.

Laptop: Lenovo Y510p, i7-4700HQ, 12 GB (8+4) 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, GT755 2GB SLI graphis card, 1366x768 display.

I'll never forget my parents buying me mechwarrior 2 at Sam's Club when I was really young. What I remember most is being royally duped by the box art.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 hours ago, fpo said:

THAT RAISES MORE QUESTIONS!!!

How did it last 500 years? My Immersion is being ruined.

I need MxR to find some mods to help my immersion. 

Same way that a Windstar can hit 300K mileage. Maintenance.

Hopefully, this comes to VR.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

o hey look a new mech game , neat 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Is this game supposed to be good :l? Gameplay seems dull and the resistance of those mecs to a missile is otherworldly....

Yeah i know, its a game, but come on o-o, that looks fugly. That green laser and that missile launcher is so sad lol....

Groomlake Authority

14 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Is this game supposed to be good :l? Gameplay seems dull and the resistance of those mecs to a missile is otherworldly....

Yeah i know, its a game, but come on o-o, that looks fugly. That green laser and that missile launcher is so sad lol....

MechWarrior games were about "simulating" how actual mechs would be like

they emulated armor, heat management, components, limbs, ballistics as best as they could with the tech available at those times

MechWarrior is not for everyone just like CoD isn't for everyone

you destroy a mech's leg it will limp

destroy the reactor, it will go up in a blaze of glory

destroy an arm, it will lose that arm and the weapons attached to it

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

-snip-

Well alright, but shouldnt one missile do the trick xD? Im sure its following a good basepoint of where the laws involved in this game are, but even so, the laser and rockets seems a little off in realism. Well, but then again all games are like that -.- and this one is just better than those in the most, so y.

Groomlake Authority

Excited!!!! I've been desperate for a new MechWarrior single-player FPS game for a looong time.

I recently downloaded the free and updated MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries release, called "Mekpak," that Microsoft allowed some time ago, but then later pulled due to worries it could harm profits from other BattleTech licenses, probably MechWarrior Online. I wonder if it's OK for me to give a link to download it on these forums, since it is a free legal release, though Microsoft stopped hosting it, themselves, and asked the developer to stop distributing it.

There's also the upcoming Harebrained Schemes BattleTech strategy game that had a Kickstarter, to forward to: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

mechwarrior_by_kapotun.jpg

Actually, this is Awesome:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Awesome

7th_crucis_lancers_awesome___mech_by_sig

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well alright, but shouldnt one missile do the trick xD? Im sure its following a good basepoint of where the laws involved in this game are, but even so, the laser and rockets seems a little off in realism. Well, but then again all games are like that -.- and this one is just better than those in the most, so y.

Unless the missile penetrates the armor, it won't do much. World of Tanks does a good job with their armor where a shot, either armor-piercing or explosive, has a chance of deflecting. The laser could also have massive amounts of energy behind it deforming the metal structurally, but I'm just a veterinarian, so I don't know.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

-snip-

Well yeah it does make sense, but, so many missiles and laser beams shot on the mech and it was still walking like a beautiful healthy babyboy and shooting back unscathed xD?

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well yeah it does make sense, but, so many missiles and laser beams shot on the mech and it was still walking like a beautiful healthy babyboy and shooting back unscathed xD?

Not a finished product [question mark]. I hope they do something cool like WoT has with repair kits, extinguishers, etc. so that repairs can be done for a temp fix or permanent repair. Hopefully, they make it require thinking and lots of planning, though I wouldn't be against high-speed battles like Custom Robo. xD

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler