is it possible to do an offline lan party

xXX_Idri5s_XXx

so i have two more weeks until summer break in Australia, I thought to myself "how about an offline lan party for black ops or counter strike or something" but i thought if its possible to do it without internet because my school's internet is bad, i can't use my data and it's just me and my friend's playing. someone help me if this is possible 

for some games.

Minecraft (not like you should play that shit at your LAN party, just an example) can work completely offline, and many players can play on a single server through lan, with no internet connection whatsoever.

Most competitive game that don't let you host your own server privately, AFAIK, can't be played without connecting to an official server, or with lots of tinkering.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

yes of course. that is exactly what a lan party is

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

any game that has an available server software should allow you to play offline.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

23 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

for some games.

Minecraft (not like you should play that shit at your LAN party, just an example) can work completely offline, and many players can play on a single server through lan, with no internet connection whatsoever.

Most competitive game that don't let you host your own server privately, AFAIK, can't be played without connecting to an official server, or with lots of tinkering.

so i can't host a server on counter strike go but i can do it on source

3 minutes ago, xXX_Idri5s_XXx said:

so i can't host a server on counter strike go but i can do it on source

well if you can set up a dedicated server on your LAN, you can do it. (maybe bring another laptop or something to run the server off of, or maybe someone with a powerful laptop will run the server?

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

On 12/4/2016 at 5:03 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep, you should just have a router to act as a dhcp server.

should i need a switch and hamachi?

On 12/4/2016 at 8:03 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well in fact this is just for convenience.

For an offline LAN party you don't need anything but a switch to connect all the PCs together, but if you don't have a DHCP server (a router will indeed do) you have to manually allocate and configure IP information to all the computers.

4 minutes ago, xXX_Idri5s_XXx said:

should i need a switch and hamachi?

I don't see why you would need hamachi unless you have two physical locations doing the lan party at the same time. Just get a switch that can accommodate the number of computers you're connecting together and perhaps use your internet router to dish out IP addresses (just connect it to the lan and it should do it automatically).

5 hours ago, U.Ho said:

Well in fact this is just for convenience.

For an offline LAN party you don't need anything but a switch to connect all the PCs together, but if you don't have a DHCP server (a router will indeed do) you have to manually allocate and configure IP information to all the computers.

I don't see why you would need hamachi unless you have two physical locations doing the lan party at the same time. Just get a switch that can accommodate the number of computers you're connecting together and perhaps use your internet router to dish out IP addresses (just connect it to the lan and it should do it automatically).

im doing this at school so and i said i would have an offline lan party

On 4.12.2016 at 7:03 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

peg-DHCP as described in RFC 2322 works without additional hardware, (except for the pegs... but every household should have several of them)

20 minutes ago, .spider. said:

peg-DHCP as described in RFC 2322 works without additional hardware, (except for the pegs... but every household should have several of them)

you've got to love how seriously people who contribute to RFCs take things..... while this is a good idea and should be recorded, the text about "avian carriers", "security considerations", etc is just funny.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: