wierd issue ive had for the past 2-3months

froller22

o for the past 2-3 months ive had this issue where windows 10 would freeze/hang and i couldnt open programs, i could open the sidemenu and click turn off pc but it would just be turning on for hours and would require a hard reset. ive tried multiple things such as reinstalling windows via the settings menu, and via a thumbdrive, neither have fixed it though. ive upgraded my 680 to a 970 then to a 1060 still didnt help. my 120gb ssd to a 250gb ssd.. didnt work either. and my 8gig ram to a set of new 16gb ram so what do i do now? the temps on my system is fine even under heavy load

Right click on "Start", click on "Device Manager" and look for the older devices and uninstall them, also look for devices that are "Unrecognised" or missing Drivers.

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

did you reinstall window or uninstall the old driver for your GPU 

both

1 minute ago, cayphed said:

Right click on "Start", click on "Device Manager" and look for the older devices and uninstall them, also look for devices that are "Unrecognised" or missing Drivers.

all drivers are up to date, and all needed drivers are installed

11 minutes ago, froller22 said:

all drivers are up to date, and all needed drivers are installed

It might be worth while doing a complete re-install, download produkey and save your Windows Key (keep it written down somewhere safe), backup your files (again somewhere safe and isolated to the system), get into the bios/uefi and make sure everything is optimal, then re-install Windows from scratch, you may need the key you've written down, or if it's plugged into the net it should automatically grab it's key online.

Edited for spelling flops...

Edited by cayphed

Just now, cayphed said:

It might be worth while doing a complete re-install, download produkey and save your Windows Key (keep it written down somewhere safe), backup your files (again somewhere safe an isolated to the system), get into the bios/uefi and make sure everything is optimal, then re-install Windows from scratch, you may need the key you've written down, or if it's plugged into the net it should automatically grab it's key online.

already done so

Just now, cayphed said:

What's the chip and board?

msi z97m 

1 minute ago, froller22 said:

msi z97m 

Go here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97M-GAMING.html#down-bios and make sure the bios and drivers are the latest, if no help I still reccomend the clean install, but make sure the bios has the best settings ie: UEFI, ACHI, Fast Boot, ect...

Also a trick that pops up as a remedy to this everywhere on the net, unplug every drive except for the drive you wish to install windows too, then after install, plug all the other ones back in (system powered off of course) go into "Disk Management" and add all the other drives, it would seem sometimes windows installs the MBR on the bigger slower drive for some reason, rather than putting it on the desired drive.

Go here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97M-GAMING.html#down-bios and make sure the bios and drivers are the latest, if no help I still reccomend the clean install, but make sure the bios has the best settings ie: UEFI, ACHI, Fast Boot, ect...

Also a trick that pops up as a remedy to this everywhere on the net, unplug every drive except for the drive you wish to install windows too, then after install, plug all the other ones back in (system powered off of course) go into "Disk Management" and add all the other drives, it would seem sometimes windows installs the MBR on the bigger slower drive for some reason, rather than putting it on the desired drive.

already done the things youve mentioned above, and i only got one ssd n no harddrive

I'm running out of ideas, without seeing it for myself, it's tricky.

Do you know where the page file is? Ram or SSD?

5 minutes ago, cayphed said:

I'm running out of ideas, without seeing it for myself, it's tricky.

Do you know where the page file is? Ram or SSD?

pagefile?

The thing windows uses to "dynamically" keep temporary files. It might be worth while reading up on it on google.

3 minutes ago, cayphed said:

The thing windows uses to "dynamically" keep temporary files. It might be worth while reading up on it on google.

ssd

I keep mine on the SSD, I've heard throwing it in RAM is quick (I've had bad experiences with that) and most PC's have it on a HDD which can slow down a great deal.

I can't recommend where to put it, due to system stability issues that you may find, but it is something you can optimise.

Otherwise look at your background processes, see whats chewing up system resources, another thing to try is <win key> + <R>, type "msconfig" and have a look at the settings there.

What is the SSD (make and model), what are your RAM timings and slots, also what is your CPU? Sometimes easier to use CPU-Z to find this out.

I keep mine on the SSD, I've heard throwing it in RAM is quick (I've had bad experiences with that) and most PC's have it on a HDD which can slow down a great deal.

I can't recommend where to put it, due to system stability issues that you may find, but it is something you can optimise.

Otherwise look at your background processes, see whats chewing up system resources, another thing to try is <win key> + <R>, type "msconfig" and have a look at the settings there.

missclicked solved sorry, and no programs really one thing i have noticed is that, the issue always occurs when im playing or opening/close a game called rust, no other game has been an issue like wow/battlefield total war n such

1 minute ago, froller22 said:

missclicked solved sorry, and no programs really one thing i have noticed is that, the issue always occurs when im playing or opening/close a game called rust, no other game has been an issue like wow/battlefield total war n such

Again:

2 minutes ago, cayphed said:

What is the SSD (make and model), what are your RAM timings and slots, also what is your CPU? Sometimes easier to use CPU-Z to find this out.

3 minutes ago, cayphed said:

Again:

samsung evo 750 250gb newest firmware updated, ram 1866mhz kingston hyper dimm 2-4 cpu is an 4790k

2 minutes ago, froller22 said:

samsung evo 750 250gb newest firmware updated, ram 1866mhz kingston hyper dimm 2-4 cpu is an 4790k

Is that in slot 1+2? which would be something like 0 1 0 1 on the board? (furthest from the cpu)

Edited by cayphed

Is that in slot 1+2? which would be something like 0 1 0 1 on the board? (furthest from the cpu)

that would be the 1s as you described 

Just now, froller22 said:

that would be the 1s as you described 

Yeah so, cpu, none, ram, none, ram.

Yeah so, cpu, none, ram, none, ram.

ye

OK, grab a USB drive (8GB would do fine), download 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/download.html install that, grab a copy of Hiren's boot CD http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and YUMI Pendrive Linux creator https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Unpack the .zip for HBCD (hiren's) by right clicking > 7zip > extract here, plug the stick drive in, open YUMI, follow the promts to install HBCD on the stick (there is a dedicated option for hiren's in the drop down menu), once done, restart your PC and boot into the Pendrive and select Hiren's, then go down to the MemTest 86 option, let that run for a few Pass' (I recommend three to six) it'll take a while, once your happy you've tested your RAM enough, restart the PC and come back here, I'm curious to see if MemTest reports back any errors, MemTest will also take measurements of your hardware at the hardware level (very accurate) keep note of that (especially the timings, look like this: X-X-X-XX, x's being a number) bad timings can mean bad RAM or Motherboard, but we'll see what you find first, then go from there, I'll be back in like 6-8 hrs got to go to work. :)

OK, grab a USB drive (8GB would do fine), download 7zip http://www.7-zip.org/download.html install that, grab a copy of Hiren's boot CD http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and YUMI Pendrive Linux creator https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Unpack the .zip for HBCD (hiren's) by right clicking > 7zip > extract here, plug the stick drive in, open YUMI, follow the promts to install HBCD on the stick (there is a dedicated option for hiren's in the drop down menu), once done, restart your PC and boot into the Pendrive and select Hiren's, then go down to the MemTest 86 option, let that run for a few Pass' (I recommend three to six) it'll take a while, once your happy you've tested your RAM enough, restart the PC and come back here, I'm curious to see if MemTest reports back any errors, MemTest will also take measurements of your hardware at the hardware level (very accurate) keep note of that (especially the timings, look like this: X-X-X-XX, x's being a number) bad timings can mean bad RAM or Motherboard, but we'll see what you find first, then go from there, I'll be back in like 6-8 hrs got to go to work. :)

ran memtest when my new rame came , and i had it running for 20hours with no errors