Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Introvert_Monk

I bent my USB flash drive. Please Help! [Case closed]

Posted · Original PosterOP

I accidentally bent my usb flash drive downwards. It is a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3(Image here: https://goo.gl/DnKzwU ). I have straightened it back up and it works as well as before, there are no unusual speed drops anywhere, but it heats up more than before. Can anyone help me, please?

Edit: Case closed!

What I would do while you still can is just backup the flash drive and buy a new one. Once you have transferred your old data onto a new usb, wipe the bent one and dispose of it. 

You might wanna backup all the files before that thing goes kaput. And if it heats up more than usual, you might want to discard it and get a new one - they're not that expensive anymore.

Current PC Rig: i7 7700K with Cryorig H7 || MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon AC iTX || MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB || 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz || 240GB Adata Premier SSD || 1TB WD Blue || EVGA 550GS || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv iTX || Dell U2715H

Laptop: Macbook Pro Late 2016 with Touch Bar (15inches): i7 2.GHz || 16GB RAM || 512GB Flash || Radeon Pro 460 4GB VRAM

3 minutes ago, Introvert_Monk said:

I accidentally bent my usb flash drive downwards. It is a Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3(Image here: https://goo.gl/DnKzwU ). I have straightened it back up and it works as well as before, there are no unusual speed drops anywhere, but it heats up more than before. Can anyone help me, please?

It's gonna heat up more as it's doing more work to keep itself active. I wouldn't recommend you continue using it as it won't last long

Hello

4 minutes ago, Introvert_Monk said:

Might be internal touching inside that weren't before. Had the same problem with my own usb.

Have a 32GB version of that, yea those have reliable chips but the casing is not the best quality.

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Windows 10 Home  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

There is probably a weaker contact between the part you plug into your computer and the actual circuit board which is the reason why the drive is heating up a lot. The drive is therefore likely to fail soon so you should probably back up any data on it.

HTB10KKrHFXXXXblXFXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg

Edited by scienceblock
adding picture of point of week contact
Posted · Original PosterOP
31 minutes ago, scienceblock said:

There is probably a weaker contact between the part you plug into your computer and the actual circuit board which is the reason why the drive is heating up a lot. The drive is therefore likely to fail soon so you should probably back up any data on it.

HTB10KKrHFXXXXblXFXXq6xXFXXX9.jpg

42 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Have a 32GB version of that, yea those have reliable chips but the casing is not the best quality.

46 minutes ago, L.Lawliet said:

If its still work. backup ur data.

or if u are savy enough u can fix them by re soldering the fdd.

48 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

Might be internal touching inside that weren't before. Had the same problem with my own usb.

48 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

It's gonna heat up more as it's doing more work to keep itself active. I wouldn't recommend you continue using it as it won't last long

48 minutes ago, spacemen13579 said:

You might wanna backup all the files before that thing goes kaput. And if it heats up more than usual, you might want to discard it and get a new one - they're not that expensive anymore.

48 minutes ago, Miniman27100 said:

What I would do while you still can is just backup the flash drive and buy a new one. Once you have transferred your old data onto a new usb, wipe the bent one and dispose of it. 

Thank you all for your help! I have backed up all the data on the drive and I have decided that It shall serve me until his untimely death arrives.