High End Business Workstation Tips

Alexcalibur

So I am going to be building my Dad a workstation for his business, (possibly) and I need some pointers (possibly). 

• WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR
    • Tips in what to get and what not to get. Maybe a quadro will work better, maybe less RAM etc.
  • WHAT I AM NOT LOOKING FOR
    • Please don't go out and make a list based on your own personal preforance. I don't really want a flame war starting on why each brand is better :S

BUDGET > $3000. I am competing against a dell workstation that is costing $4k, and I want to be able to beat it by about 50%.

USAGE: Light video editing and general business work. 

FYI I have 3 storage drives for these reasons: Boot, main storage, and then backup. I have to have these three. Also I have to have a 1650 V4 or higher CPU. Also if anyone knows a better case that is within like $100 of it with no side panel window that would be great :)

THANKS!

BUILD

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RKRRYr
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RKRRYr/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 V4 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  ($601.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($63.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A SLI PLUS ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($180.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($164.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($116.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($607.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($86.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2251.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 12:16 EST-0500

Just now, Himommies said:

Whats he doing with it

I realized I didn't put that in the second I hit the submit button. I added it in :) 

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

I realized I didn't put that in the second I hit the submit button. I added it in :) 

What is general business use Excel?because then i woudn't recommend something of this caliber

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

What is general business use Excel?because then i woudn't recommend something of this caliber

Unfortunately yes it is generally excel and stuff of this sort, however he does want it so that when he is doing his video editing there is no performance lag, and the render times are minimal

If this is for a buiness, Id go buy a dell precision. Your paying for support and a device that just works. Also things like imaging work better when there is only one model of dell workstation.

6 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

-snip-

For CPU cooling something like a Hyper 212 Evo should be enough.

Also I would try to get ECC RAM (and a board that supports it).

For storage - I would not get a 5900RPM HDD, they are too slow, and get more of them to put them in RAID 1/5/6. Maybe get 3 WD Blacks or Reds, with however much storage you need.

A Quadro will be better than a 1080. I don't have a specific one in mind, just get one which fits your budget.

Also, Windows 10 Home for a business? Get Windows 10 Pro for sure.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If this is for a buiness, Id go buy a dell precision. Your paying for support and a device that just works. Also things like imaging work better when there is only one model of dell workstation.

For (roughly) the same specs the price is almost double, and there is a big difference between 2.5k and 4k.

For your usage, this is a bit of an overkill system, just my personal opinion from building 3D CAD stations, you could easily go with a lower end i7 and still have great performance.

HDD - make sure they all 7200 RPM

A Quadro might help, for rendering and such, but they mostly tuned for 3d and such. A toss up.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1044.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($63.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Taichi ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($116.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($607.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $2893.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 12:32 EST-0500

Edited by PCGuy_5960

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

For CPU cooling something like a Hyper 212 Evo should be enough.

Also I would try to get ECC RAM (and a board that supports it).

For storage - I would not get a 5900RPM HDD, they are too slow, and get more of them to put them in RAID 1/5/6. Maybe get 3 WD Blacks or Reds, with however much storage you need.

A Quadro will be better than a 1080. I don't have a specific one in mind, just get one which fits your budget.

Also, Windows 10 Home for a business? Get Windows 10 Pro for sure.

1. I have had multiple bad experiences with 212 EVOs so got to avoid those sorry :/ 

2. What are the actual benefit gains of ECC RAM? 

3. I won't be putting anything in raid

4. I don't know anything about quadros, so I have no idea what would be linear to a 1080

1 minute ago, Whaler_99 said:

For your usage, this is a bit of an overkill system, just my personal opinion from building 3D CAD stations, you could easily go with a lower end i7 and still have great performance.

HDD - make sure they all 7200 RPM

A Quadro might help, for rendering and such, but they mostly tuned for 3d and such. A toss up.

I know it is overkill, but this is (roughly) what he picked out. He wanted atleast 6 cores for the rendering process, and I have found that i7s with those kind of cores are pretty expensive. For the HDD situation I agree, with update those. And I don't know anything about quadros, what is one that is linear to a 1080 in preformance?

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

For (roughly) the same specs the price is almost double, and there is a big difference between 2.5k and 4k.

You paying for support. If something goes wrong with a diy system, you sending in parts to rma or buying new parts to see what the problem, if you buy the dell, you call them up and it fixed in the next day or two.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1044.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($174.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2848.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 12:29 EST-0500

Wont be getting a 6900k because it is like 400 over what I would already be spending, with minimal preformance gains over the 1650 V4 thanks for the reply thought :) 

1. I have had multiple bad experiences with 212 EVOs so got to avoid those sorry :/ 

4. I don't know anything about quadros, so I have no idea what would be linear to a 1080

1. Any other cooler will do fine, but I think the cooler you choose is overkill

2. Higher stability / error correction

3. Why not? That makes no sense..

4. I am not really good with quadros either, to be honest.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I know it is overkill, but this is (roughly) what he picked out. He wanted atleast 6 cores for the rendering process, and I have found that i7s with those kind of cores are pretty expensive. For the HDD situation I agree, with update those. And I don't know anything about quadros, what is one that is linear to a 1080 in preformance?

Quadro and 1080 series are different beast. If he is doing 3D rendering and such, then a Quadro is the way to go, just look for something int he same price range and you will have about an equivalent card. But, if he just doing some video rendering and general use, stick with the 1080.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

2 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

First of all windows 10 home is fine pro is basically useless in your situation unless you have 2tb of 2ram .Ecc ram is not necceary for your workload.Get a faster HDD 7200 rpm at least and also the 1080 is fine.Unless yor doing some intense 3d rendering there really isnt that big of a diffidence.

My life

Wont be getting a 6900k because it is like 400 over what I would already be spending, with minimal preformance gains over the 1650 V4 thanks for the reply thought :) 

Ah, OK, what about a 2630 v4, which is a 10-core CPU for around $700

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, MEOOOOOOOOOOOOW said:

1. Any other cooler will do fine, but I think the cooler you choose is overkill

2. Higher stability / error correction

3. Why not? That makes no sense..

4. I am not really good with quadros either, to be honest.

1. I might get a C7 instead

2. But I have been using normal ram for years and never had any problems, is it really worth the couple hundred more?

3. I have never done raid before and don't want to mess anything up (lol)

4. Thanks anyway

2 minutes ago, Whaler_99 said:

Quadro and 1080 series are different beast. If he is doing 3D rendering and such, then a Quadro is the way to go, just look for something int he same price range and you will have about an equivalent card. But, if he just doing some video rendering and general use, stick with the 1080.

I'll be sticking to the 1080, as he is really only doing stuff with light video editing. Thanks for the reply :) 

1 minute ago, IskanderEXC said:

2. But I have been using normal ram for years and never had any problems, is it really worth the couple hundred more?

4. Thanks anyway

Sure the c7 is ok too

No ecc ram is not worth it unless your running a storage server that stores stuff for like the NSA

My life

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You paying for support. If something goes wrong with a diy system, you sending in parts to rma or buying new parts to see what the problem, if you buy the dell, you call them up and it fixed in the next day or two.

personally don't see how another 2 grand is worth a couple years of maybe using customer support

4. Thanks anyway

1. Seems fine

2. Depends on what you are doing. But if you are building a high-end workstation, I would add ECC. Rather safe then sorry.

3. It really isn't hard at all

1 minute ago, IskanderEXC said:

4. Thanks anyway

2 - Only really needed for servers. I never use ECC in workstations. The cost doesn't justify the benefit.

3 - RAID on the intel boards is dead simple to setup, esp on a new board. RAID1 gives you piece of mind with minimal performance impact.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Ah, OK, what about a 2630 v4, which is a 10-core CPU for around $700

I actually considered that, but will the extra 4 cores make that much of a difference while doing video rendering and editing?