Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJ25380

New SSD

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So ive got a new SSD from black friday sale. I was really wondering what i should do. Go with a fresh install or clone my existing hard drive. Does doing a fresh install give the ssd better performance or does it not matter at all.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends, I cloned and I have had no issues, which would be the case 99 percent of the time. But there is a chance something could go wrong but if you can't boot from the ssd after doing it, just do a fresh install :)


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCownI-zKOn2iXg9M5u2aApw

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 1080 modded to be hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910; G502; Beyerdynamic DT 770; ModMic; Samsung 49in Ultrawide

CASE: Custom Wall Mounted

 

 

 

Other Devices:

iPad Pro 11 inch w/ Pencil

iPhone 11

Samsung Galaxy S8

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Depends, I cloned and I have had no issues, which would be the case 99 percent of the time. But there is a chance something could go wrong but if you can't boot from the ssd after doing it, just use the hdd and do a fresh install :)

Okay thanks for the information

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DJ25380 said:

Okay thanks for the information

 

 

No problem, I would recommend a fresh install if you have the money to buy a key off of kinguin or something, but at the time I didn't so I just cloned it. And if you decide to clone it use macrium reflect, only program that works.


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCownI-zKOn2iXg9M5u2aApw

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 1080 modded to be hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910; G502; Beyerdynamic DT 770; ModMic; Samsung 49in Ultrawide

CASE: Custom Wall Mounted

 

 

 

Other Devices:

iPad Pro 11 inch w/ Pencil

iPhone 11

Samsung Galaxy S8

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

No problem, I would recommend a fresh install if you have the money to buy a key off of kinguin or something, but at the time I didn't so I just cloned it. And if you decide to clone it use macrium reflect, only program that works.

I was just going to use Samsung's Data Migration software

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DJ25380 said:

I was just going to use Samsung's Data Migration software

Oh that probably works too, my ssd didn't come with software but since it did just use that. :)


Mark 16: 15

“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCownI-zKOn2iXg9M5u2aApw

 

My Rig:

CPU: R7 1700

MOBO: Asrock ab350 Pro4

RAM: 8gb (2x4) Corsair 2666 ddr4

STORAGE: 1tb Toshiba HDD; 120 GB Toshiba SSD

GPU: GTX 1080 modded to be hybrid

PSU: CX750M

PERIPHERALS: Logitech G910; G502; Beyerdynamic DT 770; ModMic; Samsung 49in Ultrawide

CASE: Custom Wall Mounted

 

 

 

Other Devices:

iPad Pro 11 inch w/ Pencil

iPhone 11

Samsung Galaxy S8

Nintendo Switch

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just rebuilt my PC (whilst adding a second SSD) in a new case and new WC loop. I went for a total wipe across both my previous drives (m.2 and HDD). I think it always best to just start fresh, over time we install/remove stuff and they all leave crap behind registry entries, folders etc


 

Ryzen Ram Guide

 

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

 

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

I just rebuilt my PC (whilst adding a second SSD) in a new case and new WC loop. I went for a total wipe across both my previous drives (m.2 and HDD). I think it always best to just start fresh, over time we install/remove stuff and they all leave crap behind registry entries, folders etc

So decluttering is an another plus to fresh install. awesome

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So, im really not sure what the issue is now. I did a fresh install and now my second monitor isnt being detected, all respectable drivers have been installed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×