Was my dad ripped off?

deleted_member_030719

A while back, around 2010, my dad sold a bunch of old 360s (12 of them) to gamestop for $50. Some worked, some didn't. Plus they had A LOT of controllers, and A LOT of games. He also sold some Playstation 1 consoles, and all he got in total was $50 from them. Thinking back now, I am thinking he was ripped off. Am I right or wrong? 

3 minutes ago, Jed M said:

A while back, around 2010, my dad sold a bunch of old 360s (12 of them) to gamestop for $50. Some worked, some didn't. Plus they had A LOT of controllers, and A LOT of games. He also sold some Playstation 1 consoles, and all he got in total was $50 from them. Thinking back now, I am thinking he was ripped off. Am I right or wrong? 

if you say 50 dollars total, absolutely. 

If he honestly could care less about the things he possessed and just wanted some money, it was perfectly worth it. 

He definitely could have gotten more even if they were the horrid release xboxes, or the white trays that had really small HDDs and overheated atrociously. 

are you fucking kidding me. Gamestop should be incinerated from this planet for pulling a stunt like that. Never sell shit to those fucking bozos again. Just reading what you said makes me cry in anger. I knew they liked to rip people off a lot, but not to that big of an extent. Unbelievable

Yes he definitely did. Gamestop will always do this, I imagine they would probably rip off older customers more..

but the real question is why did he have 12 360's? :ph34r:

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

1 minute ago, kingdomtim said:

are you fucking kidding me. Gamestop should be incinerated from this planet for pulling a stunt like that. Never sell shit to those fucking bozos again. Just reading what you said makes me cry in anger. I knew they liked to rip people off a lot, but not to that big of an extent. Unbelievable

It is kinda disheartening. 

A retailer will never give you what it's worth because at the end of the day they have to make money. 

It does kinda suck but it's hopefully a lesson learned. Not to sound harsh or mean. 

Even then it'd be more effort and difficult to sell things online for instance. If he tried selling it on ebay or something there'd be hassle with customers, people trying to get them without paying, and the potential of no one wishing to buy xboxes used. In my experience no one I know bought a used system unless it was ancient, or 2 weeks after the PS4 was released and used was the only thing in stock. 

these stores buy for 1/10th the price they resell them for

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

Yes he definitely did. Gamestop will always do this, I imagine they would probably rip off older customers more..

maybe an arcade or rental thing. 

OR HE'S A SOMALIAN PIRATE AND I DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW THAT'D WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Considering each working console was probably sold for 150$, yes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

21 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

Our family used to be huge on gaming.

To everyone else, we basically just got fucked?

11 hours ago, Jed M said:

What difference does it make? That was six years ago. 

12 hours ago, Jed M said:

Straight through the ass all the way to the gut.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:43 AM, fpo said:

A retailer will never give you what it's worth because at the end of the day they have to make money. 

I think this should be one of those "common sense" things. If you're trying to sell your things to a retailer, you should never expect anything remotely reasonable. They're there to make money, not to make you money.

Plus the other things they have to deal with to sell your item. Your item now takes up valuable retail space, someone has to put it in the system, they have to deal with the customers, etc.

GameStop is effectively a pawn shop, they buy used products for less and they resell for more.  Gamestop could NEVER pay market price for used items because then there'd be no meat on the bone to make profit when they resell those items.  On the other hand, selling your used stuff to GameStop is easy, you can truck it all in and they'll pay you for it... Just not very well.  So, your father wasn't 'ripped off' he just paid the price on loss of income that he could have had by making the effort to sell them himself on Craigslist or eBay or wherever, something that would have paid off better but consumed more time and effort.

It's really a question of weather you value your time or your money more.

I doubt they pulled a Gun on your Dad. So .....

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

I doubt they pulled a Gun on your Dad. So .....

Yeah because that's the definition of the word "ripped off". Very fucking logical.