Rants about Watch Dogs 2 poor optimization: "Is it really or is it just my imagination?"

xavier.nguyen

Have any of you guys got tho play Watch Dogs 2 on PC?
My cousin and I received a code after buying the 1070 FTW from EVGA. We have done some research before and find out that our game can run in Ultra Setting at 1080p with the FPS around 60-70. But when we tested the game, the FPS was just around 30 for Pete's sake. Has anyone experience this?
Specs of the rig:

CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.4GHz 

16GB of DDR4 RAM @3000 MHz
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (not overclocked because of the whole MOSFET exploding thingy)

I was getting on average 50 to 60 fps on my rig @1440p. But there are absolutely times where I dropped all the way down to less than 30fps. To do that I got a wanted level and went for a drive around the whole map. Because I preordered through Steam I requested a refund. Ubisoft needs to optimise their game.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

44 minutes ago, DELTAprime said:

I was getting on average 50 to 60 fps on my rig @1440p. But there are absolutely times where I dropped all the way down to less than 30fps. To do that I got a wanted level and went for a drive around the whole map. Because I preordered through Steam I requested a refund. Ubisoft needs to optimise their game.

Yeah, they haven't learn a damn thing since the first Watch Dogs game

I get some stuttering with V-sync enabled. The game doesn't really look better than GTA V, but I probably get twice as many FPS in GTA V with settings mostly all maxed (Advanced Settings stuff being not enabled, or hardly enabled).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I get some stuttering with V-sync enabled. The game doesn't really look better than GTA V, but I probably get twice as many FPS in GTA V with settings mostly all maxed (Advanced Settings stuff being not enabled, or hardly enabled).

Yeah the game looks a lot like GTA V. though it pleases a different aesthetic 

I purchased it because i was bored, played all of about 20 minutes of it and got a refund, not because of optimization issues i just found it to be like a generic version of GTA in terms of the world, the vehicles felt and sounded terrible, the engine revving sounded like a PS2 game and the overall vibe of the game bothered me because they were trying so damn hard to be hip/cool it was cringe worthy.  

I am not a fan of how it is trying to be "hip/cool" and I also feel that I should be getting better FPS than I am. I am running a 1080 FTW hybrid with a 4790 and there are times when I am getting under 30 FPS pretty routinely.

13 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

I am not a fan of how it is trying to be "hip/cool" and I also feel that I should be getting better FPS than I am. I am running a 1080 FTW hybrid with a 4790 and there are times when I am getting under 30 FPS pretty routinely.

Yeah, me too. I mean our cards are beasts and should be able to run that maxed out no problem. I think that Ubisoft hasn't learn any lesson since the first Watch Dogs. The recommended specs is ludicrously high and even if we met those requirements, we still can't run it smoothly. 
I would rather played No Man's Sky or Dishonored 2 than this

17 hours ago, Technicolors said:

Yeah the game looks a lot like GTA V. though it pleases a different aesthetic 

I think it is worse than GTA V

Yeah I cant tell what the issue is. When configuring the settings even their system is showing only needing 5gb of VRAM so the 1080 should be more than plenty.

I don't think the game runs badly. I think people just expect to be able to play with everything maxed and get solid frames cos they've got the latest cards, it's never worked like that. The game scales well and can be played on a good variety of specs.

Its always been the case that the latest AAA games push the best cards to and past their limits. Look at Crysis 3 still looks amazing and still pushes cards very hard, ditto Witcher 2.

I get between 40 and 70 with a mix of high to ultra at 3440*1440 and I think that's acceptable.  Almost every new game is cited as being badly optimised, people need to learn the difference between badly optimised and demanding.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n

I dont think it is so much that we are demanding, but when we are running the game and the FPS varies so much from aspect to aspect while gaming that is the problem. I am getting constant 60 FPS while driving, but gameplay hovers in the 45 range. Then a cut scene could be anywhere from 20-40 FPS.

Ubisoft...Nothing new here.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO