10 Mbps download on Gigabit Full Duplex but 100 Mbps on 100 Mbps Full Duplex?

RenaKry
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

The fact that the upload is consistent across all 3 tests and the 100Mbps Half/Full Duplex speeds are delivering the expected results I would say there is a damaged cable or connector somewhere. This also explains why one of the ports on the motherboard does not negotiate at 1Gbps, it is either more sensitive to/better detects cable issues. 

I'm paying for 75 up 75 down.

On Gigabit Full Duplex, I get this.

5846423752.png

On 100 Mbps Full Duplex, I get this.

5846429921.png

And on 100 Mbps Half Duplex, I get this. There was a lot of fluctuation.

5846438226.png

For some reason, I cannot get more than 10 Mbps on a Gigabit link. I also hear a lot of lag on Discord, regardless of the link mode. Did I kink the ethernet cable or something? Because I don't want to think that my ethernet port or motherboard is defective. I can't really test with another cable, since the router is on another floor...

How do you select the different link speeds?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I wanted to add that my motherboard has 2 ethernet ports, one I218-V and one I211-AT, which are both Gigabit. The I218-V port auto negotiates to 100 Mbps and cannot make a Gigabit speed link for some reason.

Change your cable for that link. 

100Mbps link uses 4 wires out of 8. Gig link uses all 8. Guess you have issues with one wire/port/jack.

1 hour ago, nelsonpong said:

I'm paying for 75 up 75 down.

For some reason, I cannot get more than 10 Mbps on a Gigabit link. I also hear a lot of lag on Discord, regardless of the link mode. Did I kink the ethernet cable or something? Because I don't want to think that my ethernet port or motherboard is defective. I can't really test with another cable, since the router is on another floor...

Sounds like a "Shared" Network or a Business/ Corporate thing if you are paying for the connection but have no access to the router. If it is business/corporate you should talk to your IT guy/department and let him know this is an issue and he should test this. If it is a "Shared" internet connection you should check whoever is managing the router to see if they can test the gigabit connection. Try and eliminate any patch panels between you and the router, and make sure any switches are full gigabit switches. Gig-ethernet requires all eight wires. The fact that one port can't negotiate gig ethernet speed would indicate the wiring is missing pair 4/5 and 7/8 somewhere between your computer and the router. The other may be caused by a bad connection or slow connection from switch to router. Ideally you should connect directly to the gig-ethernet port on the router (it should have at least one that is 1000BaseT)

The fact that the upload is consistent across all 3 tests and the 100Mbps Half/Full Duplex speeds are delivering the expected results I would say there is a damaged cable or connector somewhere. This also explains why one of the ports on the motherboard does not negotiate at 1Gbps, it is either more sensitive to/better detects cable issues.