MSI Just Launched An Air Cooler

So MSI is entering the CPU cooler market with what their calling the Core Forzr L, sounds like part of larger naming scheme to me and apparently they're applying their tech from being a GPU maker. Seems pretty reminiscent of the 212 Evo and the Cryorig H7.

As its already been launched there are actually reviews (Bit-Tech and Guru3D) which sound pretty positive to me.

There are two things going for the Core Frozr L - its low noise and its design. It's one of the quietest heatsinks we've tested so is perfect for a inconspicuous system. The design really does set it apart from generic looking models such as the Cooler Master Hyper 212X. Despite the former costing £10 less, that cash is absolutely worth spending just for the MSI's fantastic aesthetics. It really does look great and would be a great match for an MSI Gaming-branded GPU too.

The price is fairly average for this type of heatsink considering the added visual pizazz, but in terms of cooling, things aren't awe-inspiring. You're essentially paying for the looks and low noise, especially as for an extra £10 or so you can get the Arctic Liquid Freezer 120, which is a more potent cooler. If £40 is your limit, though, or you don't fancy dipping your toes into liquid cooling, the Core Frozr L is a great buy if aesthetics and noise are your primary concerns.

The MSI Core Frozr L surprised me in the cooling performance it offers, it has a little reserve in store so that you can overclock without running into problems fast. The product is being released with details in mind, the aesthetics are nice, the top cover you can swap out, the top LED logo and hack even the screws and stuff inside the packaging is nicely organized for you. The Core Frozr L still has plenty left for a nice tweak/overclock on the processor. It comes with a proper design, is easy to install and offers plentiful space for your DIMMs, even full height. Once overclocked with 1.30 volts we sit at 75 Degrees C, which is comfortable enough for even a proper overclock in the 4800 MHz range. At 1.35 Volts on the processor we reach 77~78 Degrees C, which is a little above my comfort level for long term CPU stress, but for short bursts do-able. One problem you could run into is the base-plate mounting. It is a little big and if you have a motherboard (like we used) with thick plastic shielding and stuff, you might need to mount the cooler 90 degrees differently (as shown in the top photo). 98% of the motherboards do not have this issue though, we use the Z97 SaberTooth from ASUS for this very specific reason as it has shielding all over the place. The Core Frozr L can be found in the stores as we speak for 49 bucks (MSRP) and is covered by a 3-year carry in warranty. The product shows proper cooling performance combined with an incredibly low noise level, you'll be hard pressed to be able to even hear noise coming from this puppy as we measure 34 DBa at defaults under processor load (and we consider a cooler to be silent if it stays under 39 DBa). For the first ever heatpipe based cooler released by MSI, this one definitely comes recommended alright.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2016/11/30/msi-core-frozr-l-review/1

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_core_frozr_l_cpu_cooler_review,1.html

The official product page is the usual marketing/sales pitch with some relevant and interesting info hidden in with it. I personally like the way MSI have capitalised on the way they style their products to make their first CPU cooler look pretty badass.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/CORE-FROZR-L.html#hero-overview

Finally its supposed to be available for retail but I've not seen it anywhere in the UK or on any big online retailers, so perhaps shipments are delayed or something?

Weird name(How do you pronounce Frozr?) But looks alright to be honest.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Frozer without the e.

It's also the name of the air coolers on their GPUs.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Frozer

Also, anyone noticed the date at which the articles were made? 11/01/16.. Slightly dated... slight.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I wonder if MSI will make another AIO as well if they are getting in the CPU cooler space.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

I admit that my initial thought was launching a cooler into the air.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Frozer

Also, anyone noticed the date at which the articles were made? 11/01/16.. Slightly dated... slight.

Ah easy enough.

Didn't notice the date :P haven't seen it posted in tech news before now though, guess no-one thought it was share worthy.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

25 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

Can't compare against this.

1.jpg

In mother of god what is this!??

Anyways, the MSI CPU Cooler is meant to be put on GPU. "Product specification, function, and appearance may vary based on different GPU"

Capture.PNG

45 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I've always imagined it to be pronounced "frozar". Like "froze" then "arr".

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

6292b332-707c-4081-b6bc-57b12c3ce92b.jpg

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Looks pretty cool, it would match perfectly with my gaming x 1060 6gb.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

6 hours ago, LegendKillerRG said:

In mother of god what is this!??

Anyways, the MSI CPU Cooler is meant to be put on GPU. "Product specification, function, and appearance may vary based on different GPU"

Capture.PNG

In their product page they have a picture of it on top of a motherboard/CPU but never on a GPU.

intro_right.png

I guess the appearance of GPU is referring to their graphics card that may or may not match the look of this cooler. Or they simply misspelt CPU.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

3 hours ago, ApolloFury said:

I guess the appearance of GPU is referring to their graphics card that may or may not match the look of this cooler. Or they simply misspelt CPU.

I was being sarcastic xD

But really, anyone "can" technically put a CPU heatsink onto a GPU though :P

19 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Frozer

As far as I could find out from MSI they launched it this month to the public but sent out review samples quite a while ago.

The reason there is no GPU because it would cover the highlight - CPU cooler. And since it is a new product might as well expose it as much as possible. Motherboard is a nice touch.

Interesting name. What's next? Twin Frozr?

1 minute ago, edsdrafts said:

The reason there is no GPU because it would cover the highlight - CPU cooler. And since it is a new product might as well expose it as much as possible. Motherboard is a nice touch.

Interesting name. What's next? Twin Frozr?

Core Frozr Mini X Slim

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It looks like they are trying to get you to slam dunk your cooler onto your cpu

slam dunk.PNG

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

9 hours ago, mr.squishy said:

It looks like they are trying to get you to slam dunk your cooler onto your cpu

slam dunk.PNG

Only if you have that TITANIUM motherboard though, that makes a good ol' slam dunk fine ;P

I honestly think the Hyper 212 Evo looks better than this. It looks tacky and cheap. 

On 12/4/2016 at 3:12 AM, MilkJugg24 said:

If it's anything like their GPU heatsinks, it's gonna be pretty dank.

It's actually a fairly decent value. nothing super special, but pretty cool for a first attempt.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS